Voom questions from non-techy

I purchased the Voom for my cruise next month 😊 and was wondering if I have the Spectrum TV app on my devise will I be able to open it and watch TV or is that "streaming" and would I need to upgrade my Voom package?

13 minutes ago, Sea Legs said:

I purchased the Voom for my cruise next month 😊 and was wondering if I have the Spectrum TV app on my devise will I be able to open it and watch TV or is that "streaming" and would I need to upgrade my Voom package?

We had the regular Voom on Symphony, and DH was able to watch short YouTube videos.  He didn’t try to watch regular length shows though...

1 hour ago, Sea Legs said:

Surf might be enough but it might buffer a lot - Stream is usually not much more than Surf.

3 hours ago, Sea Legs said:

You might also have a licensing problem as the service might think you are trying to watch TV from outside the licensed area due the the IP address the ship's internet service might be using.

23 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You might also have a licensing problem as the service might think you are trying to watch TV from outside the licensed area due the the IP address the ship's internet service might be using.

Whenever I have used the Directv app onboard, it thinks I’m in Miami so no issue with being outside the service area. 

I use the Dish app and Netflix with no region issues, but I would get the stream package. If you have netflix or Amazon and can download anything that is usually better or bring your own DVD player and check out some movies from your library.

7 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

I have a Slingbox at home. It allows me to stream whatever is from my cable box. I can change the channels, too. I haven't ever tried it on a cruise ship. I plan to bring my Fire TV and stream it from there.

I've used my slingbox on O3b ships with great success.  On older ships it's been hit or miss.  Slingbox isn't very tolerant to latency and jitter

On 3/9/2019 at 8:53 AM, fredflint said:

...bring your own DVD player and check out some movies from your library.

Have you done this? Wondering if access to the TV hdmi ports is easy? We are on an older ship this time..Vision. Would love to have this as a possibility!

14 minutes ago, T3xasFamily said:

Have you done this? Wondering if access to the TV hdmi ports is easy? We are on an older ship this time..Vision. Would love to have this as a possibility!

You can physically access the HDMI port, but it may not be selectable witht he supplied remote.  You can try bringing a universal remote.  Also, sometimes selecting channel 3 selects the alternate HDMI port.

• Like 1