Transatlantic or Caribbean on Splendor

Just2guys

We have done over 15 cruises (including 2 River Cruises) and really enjoy the experience.  We usually sail on Cunard or Crystal, but have done 2 Regent cruises ---- however, they were over 15 years ago, so sailing Regent again will really be like a "first" time cruise on them I would  think.

We did the Caribbean once several years ago (on Cunard) and found it to be very relaxing with wonderful weather.  We have never done a Transatlantic however.

We realize these are 2 very different types of cruise experiences, but wonder if anyone could offer advice or comments on either of these type of sailings.  We would  be especially interested in those who have done Transatlantics before regarding activities, pros and cons, expectations, etc.  We are thinking of booking a Concierge Suite to take advantage of early bookings for specialty restaurants, tours, etc., although we have read that if you want to dine early your chances are better in that regard ----- not sure so much about shore excursions being full if we book below Concierge level and have to wait a longer time before being able to book those.

We have explored comments and various threads  on this board and have found it extremely informative, so just looking for some recent first-hand experiences .

Thanks very much for any information you would like to provide.

It's really what you like, ports or sea days.  If relaxing is the thing I'd go for transatlantic.  In 2020 we booked both on Splendor, Caribbean with a b2b for the transatlantic.  The best of both worlds.  

We are doing our first Transatlantic in May so don’t have any insight there.  We are booked on splendor in April 2020 that has combo of sea days and Caribbean ports.  Having some sea days helps us to relax. 

We have booked our first transatlantic cruise for April 2020 on Splendour. All or most of our cruises since 2003 have been mainly port incentive or a mix of sea days and ports. Since we are both working and trying to negotiate leave that suits both our professions this transatlantic cruise will require for me almost 3 weeks annual leave which is not easy to obtain.

We are so looking forward to the rest and relaxation and just enjoying the new ship. That’s been the main focus really in booking the cruise right away and of course hearing from others how much they enjoy and benefit from such a cruise especially to recharge the batteries so to speak. 

Jean.

We are leaving on our third Regent transatlantic in two weeks (Miami -> Lisbon).  For us, the transatlantic (or transpacific) cruises combine all the things we like most about cruising.  Sea days are relaxing and enjoyable because you can do as much or as little as you like.  And port days are the reason we go on a cruise, especially when we visit places for the first time.

In 2015, we did a very port intensive cruise from Barcelona to Venice, 11 nights/9 ports.  While we got to see a lot of cities, it almost became like a job getting up almost every morning to be ready for an excursion, some of which were 10+ hours.  Since then, we tend to look for cruises with more sea days.

I hope this was helpful.  Either way, Regent is the best!

I have done at least 10 TA s and probably more.  Have been TA on the Voyager, Mariner and Navigator plus Riviera and Queen Mary and union castle line...

this is my absolute favourite kind of cruising and I would rather be on Regent than any other ship because of the great lecturers which keep you so busy...the best one we had was on the Navigator with the NY Theatre Guild.  Wonderful group of people, terrific entertainment and lectures.  One Mariner crossing with the illustrator for Carl Sagan came second.  Oceania is less good...not so many lectures etc.  But I enjoyed that too...

Should also say we have done 2 Caribbean cruises.  The “crowd” on board is very different.  Much younger and more into adventure sports.  Plus these are VERY port intensive.  If you like that, fine.  But I have spent quite a bit of time in the islands (father worked in Antigua...) and aside from the Western Caribbean I find the ports quite similar...the Mayan coast is well worth going to but not the “islands”...

Edited by Hambagahle

Just another perspective- when I go to the Caribbean, I  mainly just want to go to the beach, I'm not really interested in taking many excursions.  But when you cruise on Regent, the cost of excursions are already built into your fare ( no, not "free"!).  So when I plan a Caribbean cruise, I usually first say to myself, "this time I won't do Regent."..but then I usually do!

Yes, it really is that good.

They are both good.  I really love them both.  They do have their own distinct vibes.  The one thing that they have in common that I really like is the lack of ziplines, noise and screaming kids.  They are both lines that cater to adults.  Cunard is, of course, more formal.  Regent is more intimate.

I just got off of a Caribbean trip on Voyager two months ago.  I had the best time.  I've only traveled in QG on Cunard.  I've done a number of TA's on both QM2 and QV.  My take is if I were planning on a port intensive trip, I would tip towards Regent. Mostly because it's a smaller ship, shorter lines, smaller size excursions.

If I were doing a pure TA, no one beats the QM2 experience in a QG suite.  I've done a TA on the Queen Victoria.  The weather was so nasty it really isn't fair to criticize the trip.  But, as we passed the QM2 on our way out of Southampton, I really regretted not booking my passage on her.  Later we encountered a winter hurricane and that really sucked.

I don't have enough time on Regent to tell you that Cunard's enrichment series is always better.  I will say that I wasn't impressed by what I saw on Regent.  I should give them another chance in this area.  I did like Regent's in cabin movie system.

I think most of us are in agreement that the QM2 is in her element in the open ocean when the weather is nasty.  Her size is good in one respect but limiting when there are lots of port calls.  In fact, I am currently trying to decide on whether to take the QM2 NYC to Southampton or another Regent Caribbean excursion this next January.  I do like the promenade in the wind and rain on the QM2 and I like the laid back vibe on Regent in the warm weather.

For a TA, I'd lean Cunard.  But, I don't think you can go wrong.

Just2guys - Thanks for starting this interesting thread.

My partner & I like sea days and have done a couple of TA's from Europe to the U.S. and one TP from Japan to Vancouver, in addition to quite a few other port-intensive cruises, mostly on Regent and Seabourn. 

The question that I have for Juno, Hambagahle, Orvil and anyone else who has done TA's from West to East (North America to Europe) is whether you experienced "boat lag" due to the setting of clocks ahead so frequently and therefore losing sleep all along the way.   This is particularly relevant today, considering that we lost an hour of sleep last night due to daylight savings time going into effect today.

My partner suffers from serious jet lag, which more and more makes it better for us to begin cruises in the Americas.  If he gets jet lag after the cruise from flying home from Europe or Asia, he can rest in the comfort of home and not be a wreck for the first few days of a cruise.

Your reflections on the West to East trans-oceanic cruises are most welcome.   (Our next trans-oceanic cruise is from Vancouver to Tokyo and will not have those issues.)

• Like 1

Most ships change the time only one hour per day.  Some days there is no change.  By the time you get where you are going, you are acclimated.  It does have a way of jamming your food into a smaller window.  The east west is the most popular, but I would prefer starting out good rather than jet lagged. 

We chose west to east for our first Transatlantic for 2 reasons.  I figured losing an hour on a sea day here and there from nyc was better than flying overnight from Dallas to Europe where I cannot sleep, get in the morning exhausted and suppose to wait for room and function.  Our flight back is nonstop during day, get home in afternoon and sleep in on bed ...just maybe a little early. 

2 hours ago, freddie said:

Just2guys - Thanks for starting this interesting thread.

My partner & I like sea days and have done a couple of TA's from Europe to the U.S. and one TP from Japan to Vancouver, in addition to quite a few other port-intensive cruises, mostly on Regent and Seabourn. 

The question that I have for Juno, Hambagahle, Orvil and anyone else who has done TA's from West to East (North America to Europe) is whether you experienced "boat lag" due to the setting of clocks ahead so frequently and therefore losing sleep all along the way.   This is particularly relevant today, considering that we lost an hour of sleep last night due to daylight savings time going into effect today.

My partner suffers from serious jet lag, which more and more makes it better for us to begin cruises in the Americas.  If he gets jet lag after the cruise from flying home from Europe or Asia, he can rest in the comfort of home and not be a wreck for the first few days of a cruise.

Your reflections on the West to East trans-oceanic cruises are most welcome.   (Our next trans-oceanic cruise is from Vancouver to Tokyo and will not have those issues.)

If you want to avoid "boat lag", then go west.  We did a TP in 2008 from NZ to LA and loved gaining time along the way.  (We even had two December 12ths when we crossed the IDL.)  On our Barcelona to Rio voyage, we gained an hour or two every other day.  Last year, we went from Rio to Barcelona and it was a little disappointing to lose those hours along the way.  Oh well, the cruise and the people we met on it more than made up for the "lost" time.

TS:

Having done TAs on Cunard (QM2 and QV) at Queen's Grill level, one east to west, the other visa versa; and three Regent TAs, again in both directions--

[Before proceeding further.  As related on some earlier Thread, probably lost in the mist of time, one QV south Atlantic crossing involved a real-life, "This is NOT a Drill" emergency situation. That is why we take all shipboard announcements and Lifeboat Drills very, very seriously.  Cunard handled this matter in a totally professional manner.] 

The winner is Regent, in all respects.  Fully realize will get "incoming" from fellow CCs for this evaluation.  Base conclusion on overall evaluation of cuisine, level of service, and cost.  We put days at sea above days in port as prime criterion for a cruise, having been cruising for 25 years. 

Size of ship is also a factor as to ability to deal with anticipated sea conditions on an itinerary.  Cunard would be the winner on this one because--everything considered--size does matter.  Cunard prizes itself as having vessels which are Ocean Liners, not Cruise Vessels.  No argument there. 

That said:  Cuisine at the Queen's Grill level was often mediocre.  It was difficult to get an entre' cooked as ordered, either at lunch or dinner.  Too often, served less than hot.  Service personnel did their best; but were stressed due to influx of diners arriving at assigned Queen's Grill tables within a 45-minute timeframe. 

This has not been the Regent experience. Plus, quality of Regent food is uniformly higher.  Also, responses to specific requests are met with alacrity aboard Regent; not-so much aboard Cunard.  Well, we are comparing apples to oranges.  Regent ships top-out at 760 guests; Cunard's range from 1900 to 2660.  Size does make a difference in this respect. 

So--bottom line is go with Regent.  We will be doing same in a few months aboard Explorer at Stockholm for a BTB.  Then, Splendor one year from now for San Diego-Miami Panama Canal cruise. 

GOARMY!

We love transatlantic cruises and no longer can tolerate most ports in the Caribbean. To be fair, many of us that live on the west coast go to Hawaii as it is closer. 

Also, now that some ports in the Caribbean have mega ships docking there, we have no desire to visit that part of the world any more.

In my blog from the Explorer I typed out a full schedule for one day at sea. There was almost too much to do.

One thing that has not been raised is - weather.   The Cunard ships go from NY to Southampton, thus on the northern North Atlantic.   Regent ships go Miami to Spain as a rule - thus southern North Atlantic.  I have done both and found the weather to be uniformly warmer and nicer on the southern route.   In fact what happens is that the Regent ships go north to Bermuda and then due east from there to Madeira.  (We have had a stern suite a couple of times on this route and have loved the sunsets over the wake of the ship day after day).

Other thing is - the Regent TAs are longer than Cunard.  Because of the route.  I love stopping in Bermuda where we spent many summer holidays and in Madeira which is beautiful!  Not to mention going through the strait of Gibraltar which, if in daylight, is spectacular and even at night (on Voyager once!) not to be sneezed at.

Just2guys, 

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.  You obviously know what to expect on Cunard.

To answer your first question, on Regent you won't need to stress over whether to select the concierge level or not.  Even us lowly F1's had a lovely experience.

My biggest complaint about Regent had to do with lounge chair hogs.  There weren't enough chairs and people hogged them.  In fairness, that's not the fault of Regent.   On a TA I doubt you will have that issue.  And, I missed the promenade deck.  You can walk up on top, but if the weather is foul, you are very exposed.  We never do shows, so we have no information on that score.  

On Regent, we were able to eat when we wanted and got on every tour that we wanted even at F1.  We ate in the specialty restaurants with no issues.  I would have been happy dining in Veranda every evening.  Getting reservations in the specialty restaurants was not an issue.  They were good, but not memorable.  We did make certain to set the calendar to alert us when the window opened for reservations and we didn't delay making them. 

The F1 was lovely and we had plenty of room.  The closet was much smaller than our Q6 suites.  But, you can work through it.  I didn't miss the butler and I certainly didn't need the canapes.  I judge everything by the quality of the scone.  I found them to be excellent on both.  Tea was excellent on both.

You could always do both.  Do let us know what you decide.  Bon voyage.

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

We love transatlantic cruises and no longer can tolerate most ports in the Caribbean. To be fair, many of us that live on the west coast go to Hawaii as it is closer. 

Also, now that some ports in the Caribbean have mega ships docking there, we have no desire to visit that part of the world any more.

In my blog from the Explorer I typed out a full schedule for one day at sea. There was almost too much to do.

An option for that issue is to check the port schedules to see which ships are scheduled in port when you're there, and if there are mega-ships in port you can change your excursions or remain on board, whichever you choose.

I did this on our last Caribbean cruise in January and it helped a lot.  We were the only ship in each port except for one (can't remember which) and we didn't venture too far from port so as to not get lost in the crowds.

PS - I think this is the site I used, but there are others out there.  Google is your friend!  

http://crew-center.com/cruise-ships-ports-schedules-2019

Edited by UUNetBill
Added link

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

An option for that issue is to check the port schedules to see which ships are scheduled in port when you're there, and if there are mega-ships in port you can change your excursions or remain on board, whichever you choose.

I did this on our last Caribbean cruise in January and it helped a lot.  We were the only ship in each port except for one (can't remember which) and we didn't venture too far from port so as to not get lost in the crowds.

PS - I think this is the site I used, but there are others out there.  Google is your friend!  

http://crew-center.com/cruise-ships-ports-schedules-2019

You do make a good point and I know that Regent tries to avoid mega ships.  On our cruise that ended Saturday, the only time we were in port with other ships was in Cabo San Lucas.  The NCL Star was blocking our view for a while and then a HAL ship showed up (not near us).   We did not depart until midnight so both ships had left and we the deck barbecue without having to look at other ships.

Although the Caribbean is beautiful (especially the water), we still prefer transatlantic cruises to Caribbean cruises.  

Thanks everyone for your comments and perspectives.  We most likely will be booking a Transoceanic on the Splendor in November of 2020.  Will be the most days at sea from any of our previous cruises, but looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the activities, etc. that the ship has to offer.

As it turns out, there is a Caribbean sailing leaving once we get back to Miami, so we could possibly do a back to back and that might be a plan  as well.......I know, decisions, decisions.

Again, thanks for the responses --- it helped in making our decision!

• Like 1