Cuba Tourist Cards for Canadians

I just purchased a cruise to Cuba on Majesty.  I know that Canadians do not need a visa to visit, but we need to have a tourist card to visit Cuba.  When booking a trip to Cuba from Canada the tourist card comes with your air ticket automatically.  I just found out that Royal Caribbean charges $75 USD for each tourist card.  That's quite a bit for something that is included automatically in Canada. Has anyone purchased this card in advance in Canadian funds so that it's more affordable with our horrible exchange rate?

Thanks!

Even when you did have to pay for a tourist card on a trip from Canada it was only $25 CUCs.  Is this a little bit of profit taking by RCCL or just another jab at Americans by the Cubans 😁

Be aware that there are different tourist cards. The one for cruises or flights from the US to Cuba is reddish while the other one for flights from Europe (and pretty likely Canada) is more greenish.

It´s not RCI but all cruise lines charging 75 USD for the reddish card. You can buy the reddish one online too but it´s also more expensive (just found a European website - green is 29 Euro, red is 89 Euro!).

steamboats

Just returned from a Cuba cruise on Carnival & yes all cruise lines charge the $75 USA funds for a Cuban Visa. It was put on our sail & sign card. The ships are not Canadian registered & do not come from Canadian ports  so the fact you are Canadian does not make a difference. The exception being the exchange on money.

Bring Canadian dollars to exchange at 3% fee where USA funds are 13%. The exchange is inside the terminal & goes very quickly. They like to do in increments of $50 that takes less time per person.

Have Fun. We totally enjoyed every minute.

36 minutes ago, eltigre said:

Just returned from a Cuba cruise on Carnival & yes all cruise lines charge the $75 USA funds for a Cuban Visa. It was put on our sail & sign card. The ships are not Canadian registered & do not come from Canadian ports  so the fact you are Canadian does not make a difference. The exception being the exchange on money.

Bring Canadian dollars to exchange at 3% fee where USA funds are 13%. The exchange is inside the terminal & goes very quickly. They like to do in increments of $50 that takes less time per person.

Have Fun. We totally enjoyed every minute.

Thank you for this very valuable information! 😄

I think you are getting 2 different scenarios confused. If you are flying from Canada to Cuba you get one type of visitor visa. However, when going to Cuba on a cruise, you will be flying/driving to a US port and then going to Cuba. All cruise lines charge the $75.00 USD per person. No way around it. Just enjoy the cruise and don't worry about the small stuff. You will have a great time...

38 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

I think you are getting 2 different scenarios confused. If you are flying from Canada to Cuba you get one type of visitor visa. However, when going to Cuba on a cruise, you will be flying/driving to a US port and then going to Cuba. All cruise lines charge the $75.00 USD per person. No way around it. Just enjoy the cruise and don't worry about the small stuff. You will have a great time...

The Royal Caribbean website clearly indicates that it can be provided by other sources and optionally you can purchase it from them for $75 USD   

4 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

The Royal Caribbean website clearly indicates that it can be provided by other sources and optionally you can purchase it from them for $75 USD   

Yes, you can get it from a third party too. But as I said you need the red one for a cruise/flight from the US to Cuba. The red one is more expensive than the green one you need for a flight from Canada.

steamboats

7 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

If you can find it from someone else will RC still try to charge you for one?  This is RC after all.just a thought. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

If you can find it from someone else will RC still try to charge you for one?  This is RC after all.just a thought. 

On embarcation you have to indicate on a form whether or not you want royal to provide them.  I’m from Canada and I’m trying to save $200 As our dollar is currently weak.  It all adds up in the end  and I’d rather spend that money on something nice to bring home not a piece of paper 😄

1 hour ago, Trickie Dickie said:

On embarcation you have to indicate on a form whether or not you want royal to provide them.  I’m from Canada and I’m trying to save $200 As our dollar is currently weak.  It all adds up in the end  and I’d rather spend that money on something nice to bring home not a piece of paper 😄

Canadian as well... just knowing RC if there was a way to mess it up I’d leave it up to them at times. Sounds like they have it covered as well. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

Once more... if you find it cheaper than go for it but it must be the red one not the cheaper green one!

steamboats