Escape "LISTING" cruise 3-3-19

graphicguy

Hi All.....I know some of you saw me posting about this cruise from a "weather" perspective, and only about the 1st night of the cruise.  This is going to be a photo review of the entire cruise.

Everyone's welcome to comment and join in.

Let's start with the "pre-cruise".  I've been traveling solo quite a bit recently.  After an unfortunate split with my wife a few years ago, I'm kinda getting used to this solo cruising thing.  It ain't bad, at all.

As such, I can usually pack a "roll-a-board" that fits in the overhead (in all but the smaller regional jets) and a back pack.  This keeps me from checking my bags...at the airport or when embarking on the ship.  With today's luggage (at least the luggage I use), it's quite simple to keep all my stuff "in tow" with me.

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-professional-slim-laptop-backpack/249582

https://www.awaytravel.com/luggage/bigger-carry-on/navy

IMG_0270.thumb.jpeg.e89b9e08eb11f0cbfcae774f2842eebe.jpeg

• Like 2

I was flying in the day before (3-2-19) to stay at the NYC Sofitel Mid-Town.  Had a bunch of points built up and I know the Sofitels are nice.  Location was right to hang out Saturday in NYC, and it afforded me that opportunity.

https://sofitel.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-2185-sofitel-new-york/index.shtml

I flew into LGA, and used Airlink transport (about $20 + tip).  I know these bus type transport companies can be hit or miss.  But, they were there when they said they'd be there and the were constant contact with me telling me exactly where the bus was.  Did we have to drop others off?  Sure.  But, I didn't have to wait, and it was ⅓ the cost of UBER and probably ¼ the cost of a taxi.  Well worth it.

I used them to pick me up, too.

https://www.goairlinkshuttle.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjpjkBRDRARIsAKv-0O3VHzTL7yt95dB_NrfWbgv_ea5FO1YERHYLibL4vEdfXSZiFrVvGz0aAsIqEALw_wcB

Another shout out about my luggage...the "Away" bag is a relatively newcomer to the luggage field.  After using what was supposed to be sturdy luggage for years and having to replace them every couple of years, I went with this company as it had a charger built in (outside and removable to keep with airlines restrictions) and it has a lifetime warranty.  I was part of their kickstarter campaign (which can be dicey), so I got a good price on it and have beat it senseless over the past couple of years.  For work, I travel at least 3 weeks out of the month.  It's held up well and I can fit a week's worth of clothes in it.  I think it is selling for $245 (larger carryon) right now.  And, compared to other higher end luggage, it's a bargain.

eBags has been around awhile.  Their private branded luggage (eBag) has served me well, especially their backpacks.  They also carry a lifetime warranty.  Their support is great, too (just like AWAY).  They were recently purchase by Samsonite.  So, I'm hoping they retain their quality and their customer service.

PRICING....I like nice cabins on my cruises.  And, it's sort of like a treasure hunt for me to find nice cabins on the cheap.  I make it a goal.  This time, I scored a mini-Suite large balcony for about the price of a regular balcony cabin.  The price was ~$2,200, all in, with all the perks.  For a Suite (or even for a balcony), I thought that was a great price.

Yes, I know I'm not getting a "deal" as I'm paying that price an it would have been just about the same if two were cruising.  You're right.  But, I figure if I were with someone else, I'd be paying that price anyway.  So, one way or the other, that's the price I'm paying.  I had sailed in a solo cabin on both NCL and RCCL.  They were cheaper.  However, not cheap as you might imagine.  On the Escape, it would have been around $1,700, and they were only giving the drink package.  It was worth it for me to spend an extra $500, get all the goodies (dining package, drink package, internet, excursion credit).  The excursion credit probably had little value to me, which I'll explain a little later.  The rest were well worth it, though.

• Like 1

Good news, I got to the airport to find out Delta upgraded me for the 2+ hour flight.  I've flown over 1M miles with 

Delta, and recently, they've been less than appreciative.  But, this was a nice start to the cruise.

The down side, landing in LGA, there was snow on the ground.

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

• Like 2

I think I may have been barhopping a bit in and around my hotel, but for some reason, I thought this picture was beautiful.  I might want to lay off the Tanqueray drinks when doing my own personal pub crawl in NYC...

IMG_0281.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

After hearing about the Vibe Club for so long, I though it might be worth a try.  So, after an evening of libations and  a little (very little) food in NY, I decided to jump into an Uber for the 1 mile ride to the cruise terminals around 9:30 a.m. so I could be one of the first to get to Headliners to score the Vibe.  That would be the VERY EARLIEST I ever arrived at the terminal.  I knew what to expect....mostly throngs disembarking, probably with poor dispositions, as their vacation was now over, meeting up with the new, very excited early birds waiting to board.  

Unfortunately, my Uber driver could not seem to find me.  Understand, I sent him my exact address, as well as the name of the hotel (Sofitel).  But, he called me 3 times to ask me where I was.  I have no idea where he was, but I was exactly where I was supposed to be.  Only reason I mention this, it took him 30 minutes to find me (when he said he was 2 minutes away).  And, UBER tried to charge me a $12 wait charge.  Oh no you don't.  He tried to blame me for him being lost.  Ain't happening.  Immediately filed a complaint to UBER, who proceeded to credit me the charge.  And, my dear UBER Driver, no tip for you and you get a 1 star rating.  Doubt he cared, but it made me feel good.

It's not like the hotel is hidden.....

IMG_0282.jpeg

Edited by graphicguy

Was a little concerned, given traffic, that I would not make it early enough for the VIBE pass.  But, things looked up when I got to the terminal about 10:30.

I'm Platinum on NCL, so got boarding group 1.  And, it's now 10:45!  I'm good (I think)!

IMG_0283.jpeg

IMG_0284.jpeg

Announcement made....boarding will begin around 11:15 a.m. We could already see the Haven folks starting to board.  Again, this is as early as I've ever seen boarding begin.  Our little "holding area" for Platinum, Platinum + and Ambassador held about 30 people.  I'm figuring, if they ALL go for the VIBE, we ALL might be OK to get one.  So, I felt at ease and wasn't going to do the mad dash.

But wait, the announcement finally came for boarding. And, they called ALL the boarding numbers at the same time.....1, 2, 3, 4.  Now, there was a mad dash.  Fortunately, boarding group #1 was closest to the boarding door.

Made it on board, and I immediately headed to Headliners.  I didn't run.  But, I didn't wait for an elevator, either.  I used the stairs to go down on flight (luggage in tow).

Got there at 11:16.  They were handing out VIBE numbers at the door.

IMG_0286.jpeg

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

• Like 1

Most excellent timepiece!  Love my Engineer Carbon!  Can read the time continuously anywhere even in total darkness! 🙂

Sorry for the OT stuff, don't see many Ball watch wearers out there! 🙂

Cheers,

Norman

5 minutes ago, NormanW said:

Most excellent timepiece!  Love my Engineer Carbon!  Can read the time continuously anywhere even in total darkness! 🙂

Sorry for the OT stuff, don't see many Ball watch wearers out there! 🙂

Cheers,

Norman

Thanks.....you're right.  Not many Ball wearers out there.  Most have never heard of Ball watches.  I'm OK with that.

Funny, one of the "watch experts" on board who worked at the jewelry store asked me about it.  Of course, they were pushing Tags (as all the cruise ships do).  He asked about my Ball, and what made it unique.  I told him about the tritium hands and numerals.  He said all Tag watches have that, too.  I tried to explain the difference to him between tritium (does not need "recharged" by sunlight) and superluminova.   Said he never heard of tritium.

I also have a moon phase Ball, which I bought about 10 years ago.  I love them!

Yes lumi-brite while quite brilliant after being dashed with sunlight fades quickly below H3 which maintains that for literally decades!  Mine is over 11 years old and is still glowing nicely.

Cheers,

Norman

Got my "chore" out of the way.  I had been up since 6:30 a.m. (too excited to sleep).  And, the last thing I had to eat or drink was Starbucks at 7:30 a.m.  I was ready....for something.  And I wasn't going near the Garden Cafe.

A side note here.....I read a little while ago that someone wasn't able to board their cruise until something like 3:00 p.m. at the Manhattan Cruise terminal.  There were food and drink vendors in the terminal, as well as vending machines for snacks.  If you want something while you wait, it's there.

Anyway, first place I came upon that was open was Tobacco Road.  The bad news, it's right out side of the smoking room.  The good news, I rarely smelled any smoke in the area.  Good ventilation.  

Flipped a ten spot on the bar after ordering my first drink, and for the rest of the week, regardless of how busy it was, I had a drink in front of me upon arriving.  Great service.

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0299.jpeg

Following along!  I love the Sofitel brand.  There is one in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) that has a great bar.   

That's too funny about your 'away' luggage.  I listen to Sirius Radio News stations in my car and I am constantly hearing ads for their product.  Not sure if they're sold in Canada tho!  

Cheers,

Sandy

• Like 1

@graphicguy - welcome back, how was your flight home to Ohio out of LGA ... not too bumpy, I hope.  How was the new (work in progress) Delta terminal & gates ... another year+ to go before the major work is done and should be a much better experience for all flyers ... once they reconnect all those access roads, ramps & drop-off, etc. 

All of the shows were changing as we got "kicked" off in late January - I understood that Golden Octaves performing mostly in the atrium is now in the main theater ... what did you like & enjoy.  Anyway, following along to fend off those post-cruise blues ... 

BTW, gotta love those TLS Mother Lode series, more than half a dozen assorted ones in our collection + packing cubes, the oldest one probably 10 years old & still not due for any replacement (2 of them discontinued) warranty claims.  Since being acquired & merged, their lifetime, no questions asked coverage isn't what it used to be but got our money's worth out of them ... they're inexpensive, paid like $50 for the 22" convertible carry-on & flown it around the globe.  21" & 22" rollerboards are a bit on the heavy side for Mrs. M but the sturdy construction is what it made it solid & reliable, at a fraction of Tumi or B&R's costs, tired of those Travelpro's.  Later.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Samstress said:

Following along!  I love the Sofitel brand.  There is one in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) that has a great bar.   

That's too funny about your 'away' luggage.  I listen to Sirius Radio News stations in my car and I am constantly hearing ads for their product.  Not sure if they're sold in Canada tho!  

Cheers,

Sandy

I stay in Sofitels whenever I get the chance.  Usually stay in the Chicago Sofitel by Michigan Ave as I'm there for business quite a bit.  That translates into quite a few points, which I use when I travel for pleasure.  NYC Sofitel did not disappoint.

I like the Away roll aboard.  I really became weary of spending a lot of money on my luggage, and even though it would be under warranty, would take weeks to ship them for warranty service, and then have it returned.

Away has held up well.  I'd change a few things, but I beat mine up pretty well, and it's holding up.  I also overstuff it (like going on the cruise) so I don't have to use a bigger piece of luggage that must be checked.