Taking food on at embarkation

We usually carry protein bars onboard with us and take them on shore excursions in case we need a bite to eat on the bus.  Never had a problem, but they are wrapped.  We also had quite a bit of cheese (sealed in wax), boxed Stroopwaffels and chocolates that we brought onboard the Brilliance from the Netherlands & Belgium (some were gifts for people at home) on our last TA.  Again, never questioned about any of it.

17 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

They will likely be allowed ON the ship, but you won't be able to take them off again...unless it's in your tummy!

We took all the above off in Tampa - no questions asked.  But most were sealed.  We kept the (waxed) cheese in the cabin cooler and it stayed good.  We just had the last of it at a party here last week.

49 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We took all the above off in Tampa - no questions asked.  But most were sealed.  We kept the (waxed) cheese in the cabin cooler and it stayed good.  We just had the last of it at a party here last week.

There is a cheese shop within walking distance of the port in St. Maarten.  We love the Amsterdam brand of cheese they have there, had no problems bringing a wax sealed chunk of it onto and then off the ship.  Yums for wine tasting with the neighbors!  🙂 🍷

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 3:34 PM, island lady said:

There is a cheese shop within walking distance of the port in St. Maarten.  We love the Amsterdam brand of cheese they have there, had no problems bringing a wax sealed chunk of it onto and then off the ship.  Yums for wine tasting with the neighbors!  🙂 🍷

Cheeses, except some soft cheese are allowed to be brought into the US.

Fruits, vegetables and meats are the problem.

You are required to declare them upon entry.  Failure to declare them can result in fines up to $10,000.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1272/~/food---general-food

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Cheeses, except some soft cheese are allowed to be brought into the US.

Fruits, vegetables and meats are the problem.

You are required to declare them upon entry.  Failure to declare them can result in fines up to $10,000.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1272/~/food---general-food

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

Thanks, and yes...we checked on the rule ahead of time.  There are actually quite a few pax that buy those big wheels of Gouda right at one of the port shops to take home.  

On 3/12/2019 at 6:53 PM, Merion_Mom said:

They are pulling your leg. Of course you can take your candy with you.  Not only don't they care, they won't know.  Candy does not show up on the scanner.  

If they don’t show up on X-Ray, does that mean the calories don’t count?! 🤔

On 3/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, spookwife said:

I brought homemade candy on board in a plastic container.  Chocolate covered cherries.  And others.    It’s only when you try and take anything off the ship it must be factory sealed.  

Okay, I need your cruise schedule because I definitely want to be wherever you are!!

Edited by 2Beeze

My Dear Wife just bought a box of chocolates that are made in a local chocolate factory where we live.  When I say box, I don’t mean a two pound or five pound box, but a box the size of a carryon bag, with boxes and chocolate suckers.  This was part of a kids fundraiser, so our grandson could win a pencil or something.

Since neither of us need this chocolate, I told her we should bring it on our cruise next month, and give it away at the M&M, cabin steward, servers, and random people.  Hopefully, others will enjoy our calories.😁

so here is the official answer from Royal

One of the best things about cruising is the food! And there will be many dining options available to suit most tastes and preferences. However you are free to bring non-perishable prepackaged food in limited quantities.

• Like 1