Currently on Royal Princess - first time with Princess!

AllureOfVacation

7 minutes ago, AllureOfVacation said:

We booked this cruise when it was almost sold out. But surprisingly our forward facing cabin on Marina deck was still available so we immediately booked it.

I can tell you the balcony is really huge. The center forward facing balconies on Lido even have a wider balcony because there is no outside crew corridor which I was referring to in my post above.

There is an aerial photo of these balconies around here in these boards which shows the difference quite well.

image.png.0955274bf68d3ff8bee293ad37c6271d.png

This is the one!

My excitement is just building up.

Are you using the MedallionNet internet?

6 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

This is the one!

Exactly this is the picture.

Yes, we are using MedaillonNet

short before the cruise an offer popped up in cruise planner, it was only on for a few days

The speed is surprisingly good. For example you can walk around while doing a video call

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I will be boarding on March 23 when you disembark. I was told the embarkation will be delayed due to your cruise needing to clear customs. Do you have any information regarding this?

They always clear customs coming from SA........

I thought it was a Coast Guard inspection?

1 minute ago, Idratherbeatsea said:

Would appreciate any feedback on the Medaillons when you are onboard. We are on the 4/13 sailing. The first "official " OM cruise of the Royal.

My Medallion is not working, I will ask later to get it fixed. My friends one works well. When you are a few feet away from the stareroom door, the door display reacts and says welcome with your name. At the same time, the door mechanism unlocks.

They say they will add the possibility to pay with the Medaillon at shops and bars later on this voyage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllureOfVacation said:

They say they will add the possibility to pay with the Medaillon at shops and bars later on this voyage.

It’s already working at the coffee shop 😊

Someone onboard posted on a Facebook group that they paid with their Medallion 

908A9F4A-5FDA-4AD4-AB6D-2D1973B85D7D.jpeg

Edited by Georgie562

On 3/12/2019 at 8:03 PM, AllureOfVacation said:

and there are no outlets near the bed.

If you have or can find an adapter, there should be a spare European outlet under the bed.  At least we have found one there on the regular and deluxe balconies on the side of the ship.

3 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

It’s already working at the coffee shop 😊

Someone onboard posted on a Facebook group that they paid with their Medallion 

908A9F4A-5FDA-4AD4-AB6D-2D1973B85D7D.jpeg

Yet, Princess is telling us it won’t be rolled out till April 13 when I disembark the Royal Princess.

5 minutes ago, stvandy1 said:

Yet, Princess is telling us it won’t be rolled out till April 13 when I disembark the Royal Princess.

I’m sailing April 6th. They have said nothing about the Medallions. How would we even get one?

Thank you for your awesome post!  We will be boarding the Royal on March 23. We will also be on the forward Marina deck. We might get the same cabin steward.

From the looks of the above photo, the balconies look huge.  We have been on the Regal when they rolled out the medallions. The internet speed was super fast. We couldn’t pay with the medallions but they were used primarily for room access.  I’m so glad to hear that the service has been great. We sailed Royal 2 years ago in Europe and that’s what got us hooked on the Royal class ships.

9 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

I’m sailing April 6th. They have said nothing about the Medallions. How would we even get one?

When we cruised on the Caribbean Princess in November, they gave them with your cruise card when you embarked.  We happen to be sailing on the cruise before you.

We are kind of medallion veterans now as we were on the disastrous "debut of the medallion" cruise on the Regal in 2017 when only a small portion of the ship had them and they did not work.

12 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

As far as I understood it is just testing for specific decks, but I do not know any details.

We received them by the stateroom attendant.

There was no information provided to us concerning this test before the cruise, so it was a nice surprise.

The current use is for room access and paying at select bars and shops

Edited by AllureOfVacation
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lynzchat said:

Thank you for your awesome post!  We will be boarding the Royal on March 23. We will also be on the forward Marina deck. We might get the same cabin steward.

From the looks of the above photo, the balconies look huge.  We have been on the Regal when they rolled out the medallions. The internet speed was super fast. We couldn’t pay with the medallions but they were used primarily for room access.  I’m so glad to hear that the service has been great. We sailed Royal 2 years ago in Europe and that’s what got us hooked on the Royal class ships.

The internet speed is really fast! And I have not been disconnected once. When I turn the device off and on again later it immediately connects.

The MedaillonNet site is really helpful. We booked all our excursions with it and there is useful content like the onboard account, wheather, itinerary and so on

I wish you a great trip!

On 3/12/2019 at 8:13 PM, AllureOfVacation said:

...some impressions: 

048B7E51-D6A6-4E39-A919-121A8BDD909A.jpeg

0D02E8C1-199B-492F-AD88-6494191D2A3E.jpeg

Appreciate your review and photos.  I'm curious where the two photos above were taken.  Thanks!

BTW, we enjoyed our two cruises on the Royal--a TA and a Caribbean cruise.  Was really wowed the first time and got up early one day to take photos of its lovely/spectacular public spaces.  At the time they had display cases with photos, etc. from the ship's christening with Kate, Duchess of Kent.  Located on Plaza in hallway bewteen Atrium and forward elevators.  Still there?

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AllureOfVacation said:

The internet speed is really fast! And I have not been disconnected once. When I turn the device off and on again later it immediately connects.

The MedaillonNet site is really helpful. We booked all our excursions with it and there is useful content like the onboard account, wheather, itinerary and so on

I wish you a great trip!

NICE!!

49 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Appreciate your review and photos.  I'm curious where the two photos above were taken.  Thanks!

BTW, we enjoyed our two cruises on the Royal--a TA and a Caribbean cruise.  Was really wowed the first time and got up early one day to take photos of its lovely/spectacular public spaces.  At the time they had display cases with photos, etc. from the ship's christening with Kate, Duchess of Kent.  Located on Plaza in hallway bewteen Atrium and forward elevators.  Still there?

The first photo was taken from our balcony in the port of Coquimbo (Chile)

The second one was taken in Pisco (Peru). As you can see the mountains in the background look a little white because there has been rain some days ago and salt emerged. 

From there we went to Islas Ballestas with a Princess excursion. That was really amazing, see pictures below.

The display with the christening information is still there. It shows photos, Kate's dress, and a part of the champagne bottle

On the opposite site of the hallway there is a portrait of Kate. Did you know that Princess Diana was there at the christening for the original Royal Princess?

This ship is now "Artania" and is featured on a German TV show called "Verrückt nach Meer" which shows the cruise life both of crew and passengers. The show is not my cup of tea, but it is nice to get a glimpse behind the scenes.

EF4594C3-0B60-4466-B5E2-7983DE1F2FD9.jpeg

19C7D574-C531-4092-8EE3-EB00A6692D2D.jpeg

23319D98-8F2D-450A-A017-28C9E5ACBBB3.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for doing this review. Your photos are beautiful!

Like others, we will be boarding on April 7th. I think they will still be beta testing the Medallion and I hope we get picked to try it out. I am so looking forward to seeing the Royal.

Again, thanks!

2 hours ago, AllureOfVacation said:

The first photo was taken from our balcony in the port of Coquimbo (Chile)

The second one was taken in Pisco (Peru). As you can see the mountains in the background look a little white because there has been rain some days ago and salt emerged. 

From there we went to Islas Ballestas with a Princess excursion. That was really amazing, see pictures below.

The display with the christening information is still there. It shows photos, Kate's dress, and a part of the champagne bottle

On the opposite site of the hallway there is a portrait of Kate. Did you know that Princess Diana was there at the christening for the original Royal Princess?

This ship is now "Artania" and is featured on a German TV show called "Verrückt nach Meer" which shows the cruise life both of crew and passengers. The show is not my cup of tea, but it is nice to get a glimpse behind the scenes.

23319D98-8F2D-450A-A017-28C9E5ACBBB3.jpeg

Wow!

My goodness look at those sea lion pups with their Mamas.

Edited by Georgie562

On 3/14/2019 at 12:39 PM, Georgie562 said:

This is the one!

We will be in cabin L101 on our next cruise. First time in a forward facing cabin.

3 hours ago, AllureOfVacation said:

The first photo was taken from our balcony in the port of Coquimbo (Chile).  That's what I thought as I had heard of the "chalky" cliffs.  My aunt and uncle were missionaries for many years in Temuco, Chile, which is up in the mountains, I think.

. . .

The display with the christening information is still there. It shows photos, Kate's dress, and a part of the champagne bottle.   Good to hear!  I remember seeing her doing the christening on TV (probably tape-delayed) in 2013, several years before we were on the ship.

On the opposite site of the hallway there is a portrait of Kate. Did you know that Princess Diana was there at the christening for the original Royal Princess?  Yes, I heard that about Princess Di and the original Royal.

This ship is now "Artania" and is featured on a German TV show called "Verrückt nach Meer" which shows the cruise life both of crew and passengers. The show is not my cup of tea, but it is nice to get a glimpse behind the scenes.  We've run across several of our favorite Celebrity ships now sailing for a German cruise line:  Mein Schiff I (formerly Celebrity Galaxy and now the Marella Explorer as of last year) and Mein Schiff II (formerly Celebrity Mercury and now Mein Schiff Herz--German for "heart").