Regent's Crew Welfare Fund

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Tipping sets up expectations by the crew (which could be why a few have begun "hovering").  Also, it is human nature to want to give a little extra service to those passengers who are known to tip (and the crew discusses this stuff between themselves). 

How would a crew member know "those passengers who are known to tip"?  Do they keep a database and share it between all the other crew members and ships in the fleet?

We will be on Explorer for the first time.  Are the crew members going to know that we have donated to the CWF and/or tipped individually in the past on Mariner and Voyager?  I think not.

Regent has a very loyal following and the reason Regent is such a successful and popular cruise line is because every passenger is treated equally no matter where they are staying on the ship.  I'm sure this is something that has been impressed on all of the crew, hence the exceptional service we all enjoy.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

But until Regent does something and mean it I'm on the side that you don't like---If my room Stewart and Butler (that I deal with everyday) do an over the top service for me, as always they will be getting tip at the end of the cruise. 

I’d be thrilled to see the whole concept of tipping just fade away, and this is one of the reasons why.  The steward and butler are just one piece of a complex operation - it’s never seemed right that they get the extra compensation but no one else does...and we all know that without the rest of the team, the whole thing falls apart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I’d be thrilled to see the whole concept of tipping just fade away, and this is one of the reasons why.  The steward and butler are just one piece of a complex operation - it’s never seemed right that they get the extra compensation but no one else does...and we all know that without the rest of the team, the whole thing falls apart.

You are starting to sound like me:classic_blink:

7 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Exactly, I agree-but tipping is going to fade away.  Tell me when you dining at a super nice restaurant, do you tip the waitperson or do you tip the whole team.  When you go on a tour with Regent do you tip the tour guide, bus driver or do tip the whole team that got the bus to you?  Unfortunately for me, on Regent the waitstaff, bar tenders, etc haven't done anything really special -they a very good and I have no complains about them-but I have had Butlers and Steward really be over the top.  Not all cruises I go on get a tip--but most have.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

IMO, there is a big difference.  Tipping sets up expectations by the crew (which could be why a few have begun "hovering").  Also, it is human nature to want to give a little extra service to those passengers who are known to tip (and the crew discusses this stuff between themselves).  

There will likely always be a bit of tipping on luxury cruise lines but when a poster is considering a Regent cruise and asks about tipping, having posters volunteer the information (which they often say is private) seems to "grow" more tippers (and people in the U.S. are tippers in the first place).  On top of that, there is always (yes - always) arguments when this subject comes up so someone considering Regent or is new to Regent see the worst in the posters on CC.

Regent does "encourage" passengers to donate too the CWF if they feel strongly about expressing their gratitude.  They do not say or suggest to tip.  The option that they are giving passengers is to donate the CWF fund.

Yes - we are all adults and can make decisions for ourselves so please let everyone make their own decisions - based on the official policy (no matter how strangely it is worded) without sharing what our personal beliefs are.  

I'm having a bit of difficulty following the logic here.  So if someone on CC asks about tipping on Regent, only those guests who don't tip should respond?  Those who tip should not respond?  I get it that Regent's so-called policy should be stated, but that happens over and over on these threads and there are still questions.  

I have no idea what is meant about sharing personal beliefs.  This and every other thread on CC is about sharing personal beliefs. Some believe tipping is wrong, some believe it isn't--it is all about personal belief.  After sharing a number of personal beliefs in a post about the meaning of Regent's wording and the dangers of tipping we are asked to not share personal beliefs?  What am I missing?

As for arguments, the reason these threads go on and on is that people keep posting.  One way to stop arguments is to stop participating in them by posting.

With regard to people wanting privacy and volunteering information on CC, I don't understand who this applies to.  The only way to have privacy is to not post something.

I happen to agree that promoting a tipping culture on Regent is generally not a good idea--yes, I'm sharing a personal belief.  At the same time I do not believe that Regent's "policy" is a real policy because it has no teeth and Regent takes no steps to enforce such a policy.  It is a recommendation or suggestion poorly implemented because it doesn't provide any real information about the crew fund to make it look truly appealing.

This thread started on the topic of the crew welfare fund and we still know very little about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Floridiana said:

As a future Regent cruiser, I am confused by this discussion. On all the ~ 15  l lines I have been on, gratuities included or not, the money went to the crew in a pool to be distributed individually or directly as individual tips. This money had nothing to do with the crew fund. You could donate directly to the crew fund or participate in an auction or other fund raiser for the crew fund.

The crew are adults, imho it's up to them how they want to spend that crew fund money. If I were working long hours 7 days a week for 7-9 months with a smile, I would also want a fun event once in while to break up the monotony.

The crew has absolutely no input or discretion as to how any funds in the "crew fund" are administered, applied or distributed. Only the ships management in solely in charge and has any final say on for what and/or for whom those fund are used or allocated.

Furthermore on ship where gratuities are collected by the ship usually as an add on to the cruise fair like on Carnival. Princess, etc., those funds are often used to offset cost and expenses that one would normally be thought of as included employee benefits.

J

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

For what it's worth.....the Lakers play many NBA teams..some of which are located in or near U.S. port cities. How nice it would be for interested crew members to go on a Regent arranged excursion. Nothing wrong with that.

OK Fizzy, but who chooses who get's to go and who stays on the ship?  Plus if Regent management at any level choose who goes as an award for doing a good job--shouldn't that be a Regent cost of doing business.  

1 hour ago, CruisetheCs said:

I'm having a bit of difficulty following the logic here.  So if someone on CC asks about tipping on Regent, only those guests who don't tip should respond?  Those who tip should not respond?  I get it that Regent's so-called policy should be stated, but that happens over and over on these threads and there are still questions.  

Let me try again.  I am definitely not saying that people that do not tip should post and people that do should not.  That makes no sense whatsoever.  I am saying that it should be left up to the discretion of the people reading the official policy without influence from posters.  I do not think that I can make it any more clear.

The subject of tipping is so similar to the dress code threads.  A poster gives them the dress code policy and, if asked, will state what they wear on "formal optional" nights or "elegant casual nights" and someone will inevitably say that they wear white or black or $2,000 jeans and have gotten away with it.  This inevitably causes pages of agreements or disagreements.

If someone stated that they would be happier if Regent would change their dress code to allow dress jeans and a sports jacket (for instance), that is different than stating that you intentionally violate the policy.  With tipping, it is pretty clear that Regent does not encourage it.  It really isn't helpful to say "I tip .................." or "I do not tip ..............." despite the message that their official policy appears to mean.  

If this is so important for a poster to know, ask your travel agent (one that regularly books Regent cruises).

This subject is a no win and it reminds me of a handout that I received on our Regent cruise that ended last week.  The person who handed it out, Charlie Cook, is a political analyst but is definitely able to look at both sides of an issue.  Hope that this will not be taken as too political for Cruise Critic because it is meant to show that no matter how much we debate this issue and talk about it, the results will be the same.

"No matter what Bob Mueller does.... No matter what happens with the economy ... No matter what happens in foreign policy, these people will vote for him."  On the other side, "President Trump could .... find a cure for both cancer and the common cold..... ensure peace and tranquility for eternity ........ end unemployment ..... These people will still vote against him."

Most of the time when people give their opinion it is really helpful.  In this case, not so much.  On the other hand, I can see no reason why we cannot continue to ask Regent for clarification of the Crew Welfare Fund and a more definitive definition of the tipping policy.

5 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

OK Fizzy, but who chooses who get's to go and who stays on the ship?  Plus if Regent management at any level choose who goes as an award for doing a good job--shouldn't that be a Regent cost of doing business.  

I think that it would be more like a field trip being offered and for crew members who happen to have off time and are available and are interested in a pro game , it might be a fun outing....nothing more nothing less.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fizzy said:

I think that it would be more like a field trip being offered and for crew members who happen to have off time and are available and are interested in a pro game , it might be a fun outing....nothing more nothing less.

OK, I can agree with that, but is it fair to those that have to stay on the ship and can't go---if it's offered to crew members shouldn't that be a Regent cost of doing business?

1 minute ago, ronrick1943 said:

OK, I can agree with that, but is it fair to those that have to stay on the ship and can't go---if it's offered to crew members shouldn't that be a Regent cost of doing business?

That question makes me wonder about the excursions that crew members are permitted to take (not sure what qualifies them to take these excursions).  In Cabo last week, one crew member was very excited that he was going to see and go in the water with the dolphins.  This excursion, if I remember correctly, the cost for this excursion is about $250/person.  So, I wonder if Regent paid for it or if it came out of the Crew Welfare Fund.  We need to know more about this fund.

20 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Let me try again.  I am definitely not saying that people that do not tip should post and people that do should not.  That makes no sense whatsoever.  I am saying that it should be left up to the discretion of the people reading the official policy without influence from posters.  I do not think that I can make it any more clear.

The subject of tipping is so similar to the dress code threads.  A poster gives them the dress code policy and, if asked, will state what they wear on "formal optional" nights or "elegant casual nights" and someone will inevitably say that they wear white or black or $2,000 jeans and have gotten away with it.  This inevitably causes pages of agreements or disagreements.

Most of the time when people give their opinion it is really helpful.  In this case, not so much.  On the other hand, I can see no reason why we cannot continue to ask Regent for clarification of the Crew Welfare Fund and a more definitive definition of the tipping policy.

Okay, so here is a version of the frequent question that someone new to Regent might post:  

"I know what the tipping policy says, but what do people on board actually do about tipping?"

How are we CC users supposed to answer this?  Just ignore it?  Respond and say something such as the guidance is what it is and we don't wish to tell you what we do about tipping?

In fact I can not recall a thread where you or others have ever said some version of "Sorry we can't tell you what we do.  It might confuse you". 

I can understand discussions of whether tipping on Regent is good or bad, but I don't understand why discussing what one does or does not do on Regent should be outlawed on CC.

The jeans policy after 6 PM is a bit of a distraction in this thread.  Regent is clear that the policy is no jeans in the dining rooms after 6 pm and Regent enforces it (sometimes, usually?).   Regent doesn't say no tipping and doesn't enforce in any manner a no-tipping rule.

10 minutes ago, CruisetheCs said:

Okay, so here is a version of the frequent question that someone new to Regent might post:  

"I know what the tipping policy says, but what do people on board actually do about tipping?"

How are we CC users supposed to answer this?  Just ignore it?  Respond and say something such as the guidance is what it is and we don't wish to tell you what we do about tipping?

In fact I can not recall a thread where you or others have ever said some version of "Sorry we can't tell you what we do.  It might confuse you". 

I can understand discussions of whether tipping on Regent is good or bad, but I don't understand why discussing what one does or does not do on Regent should be outlawed on CC.

Firstly, I never said anything like what you quoted above.  Second, stating what we do is obviously not outlawed on CC.  What it does, however, is cause pages of arguments and no resolution - ever!

So, if someone posts "I know what the tipping policy says, but what do people on board actually do about tipping?"  An easy response is that "we follow the official policy".  One may add that the poster may want to check with their TA or Regent.

Thinking about it, there is also nothing wrong with stating that this is a contentious subject and that it is best to simply follow the policy (or something to that effect).

There will always be people that will tip - regardless of what others say but what is the point of encouraging arguments?  And, if this thread is any indication, no matter what anyone says, the arguments will continue endlessly.

51 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Firstly, I never said anything like what you quoted above.  Second, stating what we do is obviously not outlawed on CC.  What it does, however, is cause pages of arguments and no resolution - ever!

So, if someone posts "I know what the tipping policy says, but what do people on board actually do about tipping?"  An easy response is that "we follow the official policy".  One may add that the poster may want to check with their TA or Regent.

Thinking about it, there is also nothing wrong with stating that this is a contentious subject and that it is best to simply follow the policy (or something to that effect).

There will always be people that will tip - regardless of what others say but what is the point of encouraging arguments?  And, if this thread is any indication, no matter what anyone says, the arguments will continue endlessly.

Not to be argumentative, but that would be telling a lie.  Why would somebody that tips tell someone follow the policy, when they read the policy different than you.  I don't think the policy sates "NO TIPPING", but gratuities included---so just because they are included one could tip additional if they wish.  When I think about it when I go to a restaurant and they include a 20% gratuities, but I feel I got outstanding above and beyond service I had another 5% to 10% to bill.  What would be the difference?

Anyway this is a loss- loss, until Regent really decides what they want and spell it out for all.

Now I know you tip the tour guides and drivers and so do I.  They are contracted and paid by Regent-so if this cruise is all inclusive, food, drinks, tours, etc---saying what you say, why would you tip the tour guide and driver?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Not to be argumentative, but that would be telling a lie.  Why would somebody that tips tell someone follow the policy, when they read the policy different than you.  I don't think the policy sates "NO TIPPING", but gratuities included---so just because they are included one could tip additional if they wish.  When I think about it when I go to a restaurant and they include a 20% gratuities, but I feel I got outstanding above and beyond service I had another 5% to 10% to bill.  What would be the difference?

Anyway this is a loss- loss, until Regent really decides what they want and spell it out for all.

Now I know you tip the tour guides and drivers and so do I.  They are contracted and paid by Regent-so if this cruise is all inclusive, food, drinks, tours, etc---saying what you say, why would you tip the tour guide and driver?

Okay - will try to calmly answer your questions starting with the last one.  Regent specifically says in their literature that tips are not included for tour guides and drivers.  That is simple.  

I do not believe that referring posters to the Regent "official policy" regarding tipping is telling a lie.  No matter how they interpret the policy, it is better than arguments.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Okay - will try to calmly answer your questions starting with the last one.  Regent specifically says in their literature that tips are not included for tour guides and drivers.  That is simple.  

I do not believe that referring posters to the Regent "official policy" regarding tipping is telling a lie.  No matter how they interpret the policy, it is better than arguments.

TC2, I just looked up my cruise for Tokyo-Vancouver this April, checked the Terms & Conditions and no place do they mention anything about tipping tour guides or derivers.  Check it out.

But I think we both know where we both stand-so no big deal, this is just one point that we don't agree on.  And until Regent does something in print we'll both do what we think is right for us. After all Mr. Jason of Regent is reading this, but no comment from him.  Why? It would be easy to settle this once and for all--he's commented on other items on CC.

10 hours ago, Juno56 said:

How would a crew member know "those passengers who are known to tip"?  Do they keep a database and share it between all the other crew members and ships in the fleet?

We will be on Explorer for the first time.  Are the crew members going to know that we have donated to the CWF and/or tipped individually in the past on Mariner and Voyager?  I think not.

Well, I dont know  if they'll know or not, or will fish for tips. We'll see!! This will be my third time on Explorer, after many other Regent cruises. Ive never experienced what Ive seen described here, but if I notice it, I will not be happy, and will write about it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

TC2, I just looked up my cruise for Tokyo-Vancouver this April, checked the Terms & Conditions and no place do they mention anything about tipping tour guides or derivers.  Check it out.

But I think we both know where we both stand-so no big deal, this is just one point that we don't agree on.  And until Regent does something in print we'll both do what we think is right for us. After all Mr. Jason of Regent is reading this, but no comment from him.  Why? It would be easy to settle this once and for all--he's commented on other items on CC.

Good point! Why isnt anybody from Regent commenting here?? It just confirms what I think, they dont want to rock the boat, and if pax want to subsidize their crew's salaries, hey, whay not??!! Better for them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

Well, I dont know  if they'll know or not, or will fish for tips. We'll see!! This will be my third time on Explorer, after many other Regent cruises. Ive never experienced what Ive seen described here, but if I notice it, I will not be happy, and will write about it. 

We'll be on the Explorer next week, Miami -> Lisbon, and it will be our 7th Regent cruise, but our first on Explorer.

My expectations are that everything will be the same or better than everything we've already experienced in the past because, after all, isn't this why it's our 7th Regent cruise?

I'll be sure to note if I feel anything is noticeably different from our 2018 Rio -> Barcelona cruise.  But at the same time, I'm not going to let much of anything detract from our enjoyment of the total Regent experience we all love and enjoy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

That question makes me wonder about the excursions that crew members are permitted to take (not sure what qualifies them to take these excursions).  In Cabo last week, one crew member was very excited that he was going to see and go in the water with the dolphins.  This excursion, if I remember correctly, the cost for this excursion is about $250/person.  So, I wonder if Regent paid for it or if it came out of the Crew Welfare Fund.  We need to know more about this fund.

I can comment on a related situation.  We've had two cruises where we stopped for overnights in Egypt.  In both situations, the cruise line arranged a separate coach for crew.  We visited Cairo (Port Said) before the Arab Spring with Princess, and Luxor (Safaga) this past winter, with Oceania.  In both situations, the crew members who went on these excursions paid a lesser amount than passengers.  They did not overnight off the ship, but rather had a very long day as both transits from these ports to the historic sites in Cairo/Giza and Luxor are two-three hours one way.  These crew excursions had a guide just like the passengers.

I am not aware of either Princess or O having a crew fund for guests to contribute to, but partially subsidized excursions such as these would be one good use of the Regent Crew Fund.  I was happy to see the cruise lines offering a discounted rate to allow the crew to see some of these top archaeological sites.

HAL offers these crew excursions to special places like the Great Wall. I did not ask for details of participation modalities, but they had 3 busses for the crew.

I remember Princess and Hapag Lloyd having auctions to benefit the crew welfare fund. Both said it was for emergencies and fun events.

10 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Wish I could remember where I've read this - perhaps in Passages and/or the excursion descriptions that you receive when you board the ship.  I'm not 100% certain about many things (even though I have strong feelings), but I am certain that tips for tour guides/bus drivers are not included.  

Agree with those that question the lack of response from Regent.  I still believe that they do not want to make strong "rules".  This is why I brought up the dress code (and could have brought up lounge hogging)....... Regent's website does not go into the consequences for not following their policies.  They state their policies in a politically correct way and expect that their customers will follow.

Rick, since you took the time to read the Terms & Conditions, was there any mention of tipping in general, the dress code or other Regent policies?  I don't have documents here so I can't look it up.

OK, I’m going to be a contrarian here. I do not expect or wish Regent to respond, a slope sliding precedent . They have published their ‘gratuity included ‘ and noted the CWF, I suspect to be on the good side of all crew. Of course they recognize that some individuals offer additional gratuities. And I am willing to bet that they admonish staff not to hover.

I do not feel that it is our business how the CFW is organized any more than we are entitled to ask how much a crew member paid ..or not...to take a tour.

I would prefer that Regent enforce its own stated policies about dress code, seat saving, lounge chair hogging,etc. 

All, IMO. Paula

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I agree that it would be helpful to have Jason put this to rest.  However, we've always understood that shore excursion guides and drivers are not provided gratuities by Regent.

The closest thing I can find on the Regent web site (under FAQs) is:

Question: How much should I cost in for gratuities?
Answer: Nothing. All shipboard gratuities are included.

Note the use of "shipboard."  If it were all gratuities including shore excursions, it would likely read "All gratuities are included."

It makes some sense to me that excursion gratuities aren't included (as I believe they are not on all cruise lines), because you will have very differing experiences ashore whereas on the ship we all benefit in a similar manner from the crew.

• Like 1

Although I am not currently on a ship, I seem to remember that at the bottom of the printed list of shore excursions there is a line that specifically states that gratuities for the driver and guide are not included. I will be back onboard in a few weeks and clarify.