Any problems connecting to wifi?

zitsky

I've been on Viking River but don't recall using the wifi much, if at all.  On the other hand, on a recent NCL cruise, I had trouble sharing the basic wifi package we were given.  I ended up buying my own package to use with my own phone.

Has anyone run into problems using the wifi on Viking Ocean ships?

Sometimes it can be a bit sluggish, but we have never had any trouble connecting or checking our email.  Never tried (or wanted to) streaming, but I gather you might be disappointed if you try.

• Like 1

Wi-Fi tends to be worse during the high demand period right after tours and right before dinner (People's phones are syncing the photos they took that day). It's also better when docked. It's adequate for email and texting. Don't expect to stream video. I also kill all the background apps, disable auto app update, and disable notifications for anything except essential apps.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I've been on Viking River but don't recall using the wifi much, if at all.  On the other hand, on a recent NCL cruise, I had trouble sharing the basic wifi package we were given.  I ended up buying my own package to use with my own phone.

On a river cruise your phone is going to be able to connect to local cell towers up and down the river and can get to the internet that way, limiting the need for WiFi.

Out at sea there is no cell service (unless provided through a horribly expensive cell on the ship), and WiFi for connecting to the internet (possibly via satellite) is what you get.  All lines (Viking included) have the performance caveat: "** Connection speed may vary"  There's not much that can be done about it when rolling around out at sea.

We are on the Orion, one of the newest ships.  Amazing, internet access & speed have been very good, the best of any ocean or river cruise I have taken.  I think the latest technology on this particular ship makes a huge difference.

1 hour ago, SM77 said:

We are on the Orion, one of the newest ships.  Amazing, internet access & speed have been very good, the best of any ocean or river cruise I have taken.  I think the latest technology on this particular ship makes a huge difference.

Yes, our recent experience on the Orion for 14 days (NZ to Australia) is similar. We found the WiFi the absolute best of any cruise ship we have been on. I needed to stay in touch with my office daily and had no problems connecting via email or Skype. I was really impressed especially comparing it to a Regent cruise in January which had horrible or nonexistent connectivity most of the time. 

Absolutely concur with Focused1.  We were on Orion from Athens to Hong Kong.  We streamed movies almost every day using an iPad without difficulty.  Concurrently, we used an iPhone for email and pay bills via BofA.  Viking wifi met the security requirements for BofA connection, unlike our hotel in Hong Kong where BofA refused to make a connection for this reason.  Our cabin was 4083 near the passenger after ladder where there was a wifi station on the bulkhead.  However, we did hear from another passengers that the service was spotty on the the higher decks near the bow.  We did not have a problem even  in the Explorers Lounge on Deck 7. 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:57 PM, zitsky said:

I had very few problems on the Sky the past few weeks - worked very well.