Travel time to/from Whittier? How early can ship be boarded?

stacyh270

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

*** Perhaps Idahospud could comment as to whether there was seating inside the terminal. 

According to my blog from embarkation day there were two dozen folding chairs, with one section of those chairs roped off for passengers with disabilities. So very little seating. 

• Like 1

I would allow plenty of time to drive between Anchorage and Whittier. That is part of the most traveled road in Alaska during the summer mostly on the weekends especially when the Salmon are running. . I travel that numerous times during the summer. Don't mean to scare you but in the past I have sat on that hiway for hours for an accident to be cleared. Allow extra time for the drive and enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! I think we will just plan on taking the shuttle from Anchorage with DH and the rest of our family so as to not be so stressed that morning.  I was just trying to shave off a few hundred bucks off a trip that is already costing us one year of college tuition....lol. 

On 3/17/2019 at 6:30 PM, Earplug said:

Forgot to mention that the train tracks and the road thru the tunnel are one & the same.  If a train is scheduled the tunnel is closed to vehicle traffic.

Late to the party, but the train is already factored into the schedule. It's 15 minutes/hour for one-way vehicle traffic, 15 minutes/hour for one-way train traffic, 15 minutes/hour for other-way vehicle traffic, 15 minutes/hour for other-way train traffic.

If you're going to go through the tunnel by vehicle, plan to arrive early. Traffic is queued by vehicle type, and throttled through the tunnel to remain within the constraints of the ventilation system and fire protection systems.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Alaska is not an inexpensive vacation.  But, it's worth it!

Very true, indeed! This is definitely a once in a lifetime for us with our kids so we're taking 21 days total to see Alaska and the Canadian Rockies (10 days Alaska by RV, 7 days Alaska by boat, and 4 days driving from Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper and Banff). Lots of butt in the seat time but we're praying it's the trip the kids remember when they are grown and gone 🙂

• Like 1

You can easily kill a few hours in Whittier.  Walk along the dock to the ferry terminal and check out the local stores.  Best fresh seafood in Alaska at the Swiftwater Cafe.  Laundries as mentioned above.  A few gift stores.  Ice cream.  A small museum to explore.  The harbor store is worth a look.  They have everything a local could want....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stacyh270 said:

Very true, indeed! This is definitely a once in a lifetime for us with our kids so we're taking 21 days total to see Alaska and the Canadian Rockies (10 days Alaska by RV, 7 days Alaska by boat, and 4 days driving from Vancouver to Calgary via Jasper and Banff). Lots of butt in the seat time but we're praying it's the trip the kids remember when they are grown and gone 🙂

They will!