"formal nights" on Holland America?

j3000

21 hours ago, Chickadee910 said:

"...he says he’s on vacation so be happy he has long pants on and a dress shirt."

Yikes!

If that were my reply, my wife would respond, " It's my vacation, too, so guess what you'll have to be happy with?"

All kidding aside, I dress up on cruises. Way up. I don't go out on the deep blue sea, just to dress like I'm at Olive Garden.

🤣

Edited by no1talks
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Yikes!

If that were my reply, my wife would respond, " It's my vacation, too, so guess what you'll have to be happy with?"

All kidding aside, I dress up on cruises. Way up. I don't go out on the deep blue sea, just to dress like I'm at Olive Garden.

🤣

Different strokes for different folks  . Some like it cold & some like it hot  ,What we do  have in common is that we are all different , Thanks to God 

On 11/14/2022 at 4:12 PM, lindadear said:

The Holland America dress code is a collared shirt and slacks for men and a top and slacks or dress for women. No jeans or t-shirts in the dining room or specialty restaurants at dinner. HAL is not enforcing this dress code and some passengers (abut 25-30%) were wearing t-shirts and jeans to the dining room on the California Coastal cruise 11/5-11/12/22. Really, they can't dress up for 7 nights? They have to wear old jeans and t-shirts even on gala nights?! That would be men AND women who dress like they are taking out the trash or cleaning the garage. Very unappealing when your fellow passengers have looked forward to dressing well for dinner so it could be a special occasion with fine dining. I refuse to just give up and say "It is what it is." That is why there are so many slobs who do not even have enough self-respect or respect for their fellow diners to put in some effort and wear a collared shirt or top. 

A tad self righteous in my opinion on your comment.  I’m not really sure how someone else’s attire ruins your evening.  To call someone a “slob” because they don’t dress as you feel they should actually says much more about you then them. To be clear, some of those “jeans” you see,  actually cost more money than that gown or tuxedo one wears.  Stop worrying about what others choose to enjoy themselves and enjoy your own evening.  

We just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam and we did see men and women wearing shorts in the main dining room.  It had no impact on our enjoyment of a great dining experience or the evening…. Breathe in…. Carry on! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sayvan said:

A tad self righteous in my opinion on your comment.  I’m not really sure how someone else’s attire ruins your evening.  To call someone a “slob” because they don’t dress as you feel they should actually says much more about you then them. To be clear, some of those “jeans” you see,  actually cost more money than that gown or tuxedo one wears.  Stop worrying about what others choose to enjoy themselves and enjoy your own evening.  

We just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam and we did see men and women wearing shorts in the main dining room.  It had no impact on our enjoyment of a great dining experience or the evening…. Breathe in…. Carry on! 

A big Amen, these endless dress code threads just get so self righteous. I never let how anyone dresses for diner effect the enjoyment of my meals or the cruise.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:12 PM, lindadear said:

The Holland America dress code is a collared shirt and slacks for men and a top and slacks or dress for women. No jeans or t-shirts in the dining room or specialty restaurants at dinner. HAL is not enforcing this dress code and some passengers (abut 25-30%) were wearing t-shirts and jeans to the dining room on the California Coastal cruise 11/5-11/12/22. Really, they can't dress up for 7 nights? They have to wear old jeans and t-shirts even on gala nights?! That would be men AND women who dress like they are taking out the trash or cleaning the garage. Very unappealing when your fellow passengers have looked forward to dressing well for dinner so it could be a special occasion with fine dining. I refuse to just give up and say "It is what it is." That is why there are so many slobs who do not even have enough self-respect or respect for their fellow diners to put in some effort and wear a collared shirt or top. 

Welcome to 2022.  We walked out of a very nice local restaurant where I wore a collared shirt and kakhis when a person wearing a "F...ing 49ers" t-shirt was seated next to us and his loud conversation began matching his shirt.

Some things you cannot cure unless businesses enforce some minimal standards.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2019 at 4:51 PM, taxmantoo said:

They are now called "gala" nights and you will have 2 on your 7-night cruise.  People pretty much wear what the people on Carnival, Celebrity,  RCI & Princess wear, ie. pretty much "anything goes...within reason".   

Some of us would prefer it to be a bit more dressed up, but it is what it is or as some other post described it "The slobs have won" 🙄

Call me a slob then.  I am on vacation and I love Holland America.  I should not be "required" to wear dressy clothes on vacation.  So, expect to see me without a tie!

• Like 1

We just got off the Koningsdam ten days ago.  After much debate, I decided not to bring my suit for their "dressy" nights.  Very glad I did not bring it because I probably saw maybe 10 to 12 men wearing suits on the two "dressy" nights.  Only a handful of men wore ties so I thought I was over-dressed wearing mine.   More women, of course, dressed for the occassion.  And as usual, there were men in jeans, shorts, and wearing baseball hats in the dining room on the dress up nights.  

59 minutes ago, IBM Sweathog said:

And as usual, there were men in jeans, shorts, and wearing baseball hats in the dining room on the dress up nights.  

I haven't seen that even on Caribbean cruises, that's too bad. The only time I saw a ball cap in a dinning room was in a specialty restaurant on Oceania. He was asked to remove it after short while.

3 hours ago, IBM Sweathog said:

And as usual, there were men in jeans, shorts, and wearing baseball hats in the dining room on the dress up nights.  

I saw that on many nights on our Oosterdam cruise last August. Like I have said before it is what's common now on cruises, so get used to it and not let it bother you or ruin your trip.