Child with Tree Nut Allergy

Hello!

We will be doing a family cruise in June onboard the Allure. I have read that RCI is very good with allergens-however I have read I am supposed to contact the Maitre'D before boarding. Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice or tips as this will be my nephews first cruise and want this trip to be as safe as possible.

Thanks!😊

Yes, please send an email to special_needs@rccl.com and they will make a note in your file and provide information.  Also, make sure to ask to speak with the head chef of the Windjammer as they can walk you through safe items on the buffet.  Go to the MDR desk when you get on board as well to add the note to your dinner reservation and the head chef for the MDR will also come out to speak with you.  They will make every effort possible and let you know what you should definitely avoid!

• Like 1

My husband has this same allergy. Email above is good but we still tell our waiter at our meals every time. If you have the same restaurant every night they will remember.putting in on your reservation is good but still good to mention. They will send the chef out every night to go over the menu for the next day so you have no worries. I also always carry an epi pen in my purse and they have an infirmary on board well equipped for just such an emergency. They take wonderful care of my husband and in 15 cruises the only issue we ever had must have been cross contamination at a salad bar where they were mixing to order. You will have a wonderful trip!

Edited by Sherman793
  • Like 1

This is so good to hear. My daughter has tree nut allergies, and we sail on Brilliance of the Seas this coming Saturday. I've emailed the special needs department and have asked that they make a note on our reservation, but we will speak with the MDR and the head chef at Windjammer's as well. 

• Like 1

My sister-in-law had a pin-on warning button she put on my nieces when they were in Sunday School or something else away from her, that said the girls had food allergies and not to give them any snacks.  If your nephew is still young and might be going to the kids' club, something like that might be a good idea.

Edited by ShipsandDipper
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stevie17 said:

This is so good to hear. My daughter has tree nut allergies, and we sail on Brilliance of the Seas this coming Saturday. I've emailed the special needs department and have asked that they make a note on our reservation, but we will speak with the MDR and the head chef at Windjammer's as well. 

Smart, always follow up with something this serious. Royal is  great on this but more that are aware safer the Cruise...

Thanks for the tips everyone.  My 4 year old also has a tree nut allergy so I will be e-mailing and leaving messages with everyone.

Great idea with the button will be making one of those as well.  We usually put his sign and sail on a lanyard so we will just pin that button on the lanyard.

My son is anaphylactic to peanuts. We sailed on Oasis 2 years ago and leave this week on AOS. As everyone suggests I contacted the special needs dept to have his allergy noted on our reservation. On Oasis, the maitre’d was wonderful. He came by every evening and my son (aged 10) chose his next evening meal. From what I understand it was prepared in a dedicated area to avoid cross contamination. I should add that we chose traditional dining and requested a table just for our family. I wanted to have the same wait staff every night who were familiar with our allergy status. 

We we are hoping to eat in the WJ this trip so I will talk to the head chef to check on what is safe or not. Buffets are usually a no-no for us, so fingers crossed!

Edited by 3hearts4me
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 3hearts4me said:

My son is anaphylactic to peanuts. We sailed on Oasis 2 years ago and leave this week on AOS. As everyone suggests I contacted the special needs dept to have his allergy noted on our reservation. On Oasis, the maitre’d was wonderful. He came by every evening and my son (aged 10) chose his next evening meal. From what I understand it was prepared in a dedicated area to avoid cross contamination. I should add that we chose traditional dining and requested a table just for our family. I wanted to have the same wait staff every night who were familiar with our allergy status. 

We we are hoping to eat in the WJ this trip so I will talk to the head chef to check on what is safe or not. Buffets are usually a no-no for us, so fingers crossed!

As you already know the issue at buffets is not always identifying the dishes, it the cross contamination. I was chaperoning a student trip to Disney last year and in a buffet at Epcot someone had switched the ladles in a salad dressing; one was made with peanut oil. We had a junior in full-blown anaphylaxis within moments of biting into her salad.   People tend to me such slobs in the Windjammer- you just don't know who has touched what or switchedd the serving spoons...

• Like 2

I’m so happy to hear this. We are sailing on Anthem soon and my young son has tree nut allergies in addition to eggs and sesame (which is pretty high). I am so so very anxious and even though I posted here a few weeks ago with awesome responses, I can’t help but being nervous. I upped our coverage for travel Insurance  and I’m bringing a few epi-pens with me. 

I contacted the special needs department and we have early dining reservations in the MDR. That’s my first stop as soon as we get onboard. I’m also bringing all of his favorite safe snacks. 

• Like 1

My partner has a severe tree and ground nut allergy and generally we have found RCCL to be ok. The first evening we have found to be the most difficult and as such book a speciality restaurant as a little less hectic. On our first cruise a couple of years back we we're served the desserts with nuts covering the dish and told to pick them out. This is with us constantly telling the hosts and servers. Also we find the windjammer very difficult due to cross contamination from other guests.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ShipsandDipper said:

My sister-in-law had a pin-on warning button she put on my nieces when they were in Sunday School or something else away from her, that said the girls had food allergies and not to give them any snacks.  If your nephew is still young and might be going to the kids' club, something like that might be a good idea.

This is a great idea and will help my sister feel better if she wants to leave him in the kids club for a bit

Thank you for all who replied! I will forward the information to my sister so we can take the appropriate steps on our part. I am glad to hear RCI takes food allergies seriously. It is so scary to be out in the middle of the ocean and have to worry about this.

🙂