Overnight in Amsterdam - any suggestion for trip out one day?

tring

We are due overnight in Amsterdam on 5th and 6th April (I know a lot of boats are not calling there, but we will be on a small ship).  We love Amsterdam and have been a number of times, but are interested in taking a trip out the first day to somewhere more peaceful as we will be on a 'city heavy' cruise.

I have looked at Zaanse Schans https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/  I can click through from this website to info regards bus 391,  but I cannot find up to date time tables or even how often they run - can anyone help?  We are thinking of going into Zaandam for an evening meal on the way back and would like to return to the ship late night if buses are still running then.   It also mentions a day ticket for 11.5  Euros - is that worth while?

Any other suggestions are welcome.  

Edited by tring

The first spring weekends are coming up, temperatures are rising, might be not as peaceful as you wish (but not anywhere as crowded as peak season).

Bus 391 is operated by Connexxion but they are incapable of translating their entire website in English, the timetables are in Dutch:

https://connexxion.nl/industrial-heritage-line/1243 with an handy PDF at https://connexxion.nl/data/upload/Dummy%20plaatsing%20kaft%20'Dummy_2097331'.pdf

There's a nation wide public transport planner available in English at https://9292.nl/en which includes all companies and the 391 bus.

And a (2017 version, beware of line changes!) map of other sights in the Amsterdam area, like Volendam harbour, perhaps as an extension of your Zaanse Schans visit for dinner?: https://www.connexxion.nl/data/upload/ARTT Map zomer 2017 v2.pdf

If you go further out than Zaanse Schans the multi platform The Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket might suit your needs best, otherwise consider the Zaanstreek ticket from Connexxion.

Enjoy Amsterdam and her surroundings!

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

The first spring weekends are coming up, temperatures are rising, might be not as peaceful as you wish (but not anywhere as crowded as peak season).

Bus 391 is operated by Connexxion but they are incapable of translating their entire website in English, the timetables are in Dutch:

https://connexxion.nl/industrial-heritage-line/1243 with an handy PDF at https://connexxion.nl/data/upload/Dummy%20plaatsing%20kaft%20'Dummy_2097331'.pdf

There's a nation wide public transport planner available in English at https://9292.nl/en which includes all companies and the 391 bus.

And a (2017 version, beware of line changes!) map of other sights in the Amsterdam area, like Volendam harbour, perhaps as an extension of your Zaanse Schans visit for dinner?: https://www.connexxion.nl/data/upload/ARTT Map zomer 2017 v2.pdf

If you go further out than Zaanse Schans the multi platform The Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket might suit your needs best, otherwise consider the Zaanstreek ticket from Connexxion.

Enjoy Amsterdam and her surroundings!

Thank you very much for the reply and useful links.  Volendam looks interesting as well, though more as an alternative, allowing time to do the cheese museum etc.  We keep thinking we would like a land holiday to Holland and have never got around to it perhaps we should think a bit harder and actually get there 🙂

Barbara

3 hours ago, tring said:

We are due overnight in Amsterdam on 5th and 6th April (I know a lot of boats are not calling there, but we will be on a small ship).  We love Amsterdam and have been a number of times, but are interested in taking a trip out the first day to somewhere more peaceful as we will be on a 'city heavy' cruise.

I have looked at Zaanse Schans https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/  I can click through from this website to info regards bus 391,  but I cannot find up to date time tables or even how often they run - can anyone help?  We are thinking of going into Zaandam for an evening meal on the way back and would like to return to the ship late night if buses are still running then.   It also mentions a day ticket for 11.5  Euros - is that worth while?

We loved Zaanse Schans!

Excellent info provided in the post above mine - I would recommend downloading the PDF.

Regarding bus #391, the schedule is as follows (from their website):

Amsterdam Centraal Station to Zaanse Schans - buses run at approximately 15 - 20 minute intervals. Departure times from Centraal Station: 8:32, 8:51,9:05, 9:20, 9:35, 9:50, 10:05, 10:20, 10:35, 10:50, 11:05, 11:20. 11:35, 11:50, 12:05, 12:20, 12:35, 12:50, 12:35, 12:50, 13:05, 13:20 (etc..... assume you would be leaving AMS for ZS prior to 1:20pm so won't bother to copy the remaining times).

Zaandam to Amsterdam Centraal Station   - buses run at approximately 15 - 20 minute intervals. Afternoon/Evening departure times from Zaanse Schans to Centraal Station (you can hop off in Zaandam and catch a later bus back to AMS Centraal) : 13:00, 13:15, 13:29, 13:44, 13:59, 14:14, 11:30, 11:44, 15:00,

Continued:

15:00, 18, 32, 48

16:02, 17, 31, 47

17:01, 16, 32, 47

18:02, 17, 32, 45

19:00, 15, 30, 48

20:23, 53

21:23, 53

22:23, 53

23:23, 53

Note that bus frequency diminishes after 6pm.

Also, buses depart AMS Centraal earlier than 8:32am. If you wish to leave for ZS earlier, earlier times are:

7:03, 32,

8:02, 17

Edited by dogs4fun

Zaanse Schans indeed is nice, I often bring friends there. However since you are in the beginning of the tulip and other flower season how about a visit to Keukenhof? https://keukenhof.nl/en/

The website also gives details how to get there by special bus.

Edited by Ine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Continued:

15:00, 18, 32, 48

16:02, 17, 31, 47

17:01, 16, 32, 47

18:02, 17, 32, 45

19:00, 15, 30, 48

20:23, 53

21:23, 53

22:23, 53

23:23, 53

Note that bus frequency diminishes after 6pm.

Also, buses depart AMS Centraal earlier than 8:32am. If you wish to leave for ZS earlier, earlier times are:

7:03, 32,

8:02, 17

Thank you very much for both your posts, they are much appreciated as I could not find a timetable on line.  At least we will be in no rush to return to the ship as we are in port overnight.

Edited by tring

50 minutes ago, Ine said:

Zaanse Schans indeed is nice, I often bring friends there. However since you are in the beginning of the tulip and other flower season how about a visit to Keukenhof? https://keukenhof.nl/en/

The website also gives details how to get there by special bus.

Thanks for the suggestion Ine, though sadly we have already discounted that.  We were more interested in the mass tulip time, but I have been asking questions on Trip Advisor and it seems we will be a bit early for that.  It is something we would like to see sometime though, so again perhaps we should make plans for that long thought about land trip to Holland 🙂

40 minutes ago, tring said:

Thanks for the suggestion Ine, though sadly we have already discounted that.  We were more interested in the mass tulip time, but I have been asking questions on Trip Advisor and it seems we will be a bit early for that.  It is something we would like to see sometime though, so again perhaps we should make plans for that long thought about land trip to Holland 🙂

Don't go by what people say based on previous years. You will be there 2 weeks from now. Check out the flowering report at the time

https://keukenhof.nl/en/flowering-report

Today's report (opening day) says:

The crocuses, the first daffodils and the early tulips are all flowering. 
The bulb fields around Keukenhof are becoming more colourful: there too the daffodils and the first tulips have started to flower. 
Every colour of well over 100 varieties of tulip are in bloom at the Willem-Alexander pavilion. The Oranje Nassau pavilion features tulips and hyacinths in every colour and of every variety. Europe’s largest orchid and anthurium show with Flower Power as its theme is on show at the Beatrix pavilion.

21 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Don't go by what people say based on previous years. You will be there 2 weeks from now. Check out the flowering report at the time

The bulb fields around Keukenhof are becoming more colourful: there too the daffodils and the first tulips have started to flower. 
Every colour of well over 100 varieties of tulip are in bloom at the Willem-Alexander pavilion. The Oranje Nassau pavilion features tulips and hyacinths in every colour and of every variety. Europe’s largest orchid and anthurium show with Flower Power as its theme is on show at the Beatrix pavilion.

Not the OP but thank you for this link...we'll be in Amsterdam the second week of May and I'll be checking this site before we go...hopefully there'll still be some blooms left for us!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tring said:

We did a river cruise in the Netherlands in early April 2007 and visited Keukenhof.  It was wonderful--many, many tulips and other bulbs were blooming.  One of my favorite displays was an undulating "river" of scillas or grape hyacinths (something blue) running thru the gardens.  Maybe I should go to Trip Advisor and see what folks are saying <g>.  It was quite warm when we there.

Edited by BarbinMich

It is Trip Advisor where we were told that tulips not likely to be out, even if the daffodils are early, but will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the comments made folks. 

On 3/22/2019 at 9:02 AM, Barwick Cruiser said:

Not the OP but thank you for this link...we'll be in Amsterdam the second week of May and I'll be checking this site before we go...hopefully there'll still be some blooms left for us!!

Keukenhof will still have some flowers as there are many trees and there is shade. However for sure there will be no more flowers in the fields.

3 hours ago, tring said:

It is Trip Advisor where we were told that tulips not likely to be out, even if the daffodils are early, but will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the comments made folks. 

It will also depends how cold or warm it will be the coming days. That has a great ibnfulence on blooming. There also are early blooming tulips, but indeed the best time is the end of April/beginning of May.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:02 AM, Barwick Cruiser said:

The last day the Keukenhof will be open this year is May 19th.

16 hours ago, hancock said:

The last day the Keukenhof will be open this year is May 19th.

Thanks, we arrive in Holland on the 10th so we'll catch the end of it.  Maybe the crowds will be gone and we'll get the place to ourselves lol!!  Are there discounts for the last week since we'll miss the main flowering?  Should we even bother going?  Wonder if it will be more like a botanical garden or park without the fields of flowers?  Started to rethink including this on our itinerary...

Have you considered going to Delft?  We took a day trip there by train, very easy, and it is beautiful, smaller, and quieter than the city. Things to see and do, depending on your likes, walks along canals, Vermeer Centrum Delft ( no actual Vermeer's here), beautiful market square, stop and rest for a coffee, Prinsenhof, Old and New Churches, and stop at a herring stand.  We never went but there is also a porcelain factory.  

Judi

52 minutes ago, prudence passenger said:

Have you considered going to Delft?  We took a day trip there by train, very easy, and it is beautiful, smaller, and quieter than the city. Things to see and do, depending on your likes, walks along canals, Vermeer Centrum Delft ( no actual Vermeer's here), beautiful market square, stop and rest for a coffee, Prinsenhof, Old and New Churches, and stop at a herring stand.  We never went but there is also a porcelain factory.  

Judi

The Royal Delft Factory and museum was very interesting, we saw how designs were painted on the porcelain and the steps to complete the pieces. There are also some incredible pieces in the museum.

11 hours ago, prudence passenger said:

Judi

Great suggestion - we loved Delft.

On 3/21/2019 at 6:11 PM, gnome12 said:

Tulips are flowering, a bit earlier than average. Too bad there's no recent flowering report.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2019 at 5:56 AM, tring said:

Have a look at the Amsterdam pass , they will have suggestions on what to do

We were there early April and had an excellent day in Zaanse Schans the first day - we went into the 'sawmill' windmill, whihc was very interesting.  Got there and back by bus with a stop in Zandam for a drink on the way back.  The info. provided by dogs4fun above regards the buses was great and we also found the option of other buses back to central Amsterdam from Zandam centre.  The bus driver was great as he told us where to get off, very willingly.  We went back to Amsterdam for a meal the first day and it was great as qite a buzz had built up in the city by then. 

Spent the second day strolling around Amsterdam, which we have done a number of times before, but we never tire of Amsterdam  🙂

Thanks again to all who gave their advice here.  May well go to the gardens another time - perhaps take the car over on a land hol to there and beyond.

• Like 1