Cuba Question

ShipsAhoy508

1 minute ago, pieshops said:

We are headed there Monday, flying in from Miami for the day, I guess we just made it

Sure seems like it, as things seem to be planned.

This is remarkably abrupt.

Well... enjoy your trip!

I feel very sorry for those who are too late to make changes, and paid for cruises precisely to visit Cuba.

I suppose for anyone who has Cancel For Any Reason travel insurance, they could get a decent chunk of money back (or cruise credit, depending upon insurance type/vendor), but most people don't include that, even of those who get insurance.

GC

1 hour ago, newcruiser1956 said:

I do not read anything in that that makes it appear to affect the cruises at this time.  I am traveling there in 38 days 🙂

I think it will definitely affect the cruise industry. I am just getting conflicting information. I read that it starts immediately and I have read it starts in 30 days.  For my sake I hope it’s 30 days. 

On the the thread listed above someone stated it starts May 2nd. 

If you cruise in 38 days I would say whichever is true your ship will not be stopping in Cuba. Just my guess. 

Edited by rhinomike

Google it :)  

6 hours ago - The Trump administration is tightening restrictions on travel and ... The Trumpadministration announces restrictions on the amount of money Cuban Americans can send to ... 2019announced new restrictions on travel to Cuba as well as the .... on Wednesday morning and scheduled to take effect on May 2.

To be specific, the WaPo article quotes Pompeo as saying the change go into effect May 2.  The article says that it "could signal the end of cruises".  Not clear whether or when cruises are impacted.  I suffered through this the last time this sort of announcement came out.  In the end there was no real effect on cruises.  It's just too early to tell.

• Like 1

When you're there, make sure to do these things:

1. Interact with local people (as many as possible)

2. Get photos whenever possible.

3. Document it all and keep the documentation for 5 years.

If they're going to start cracking down on the People-to-People exchanges, you'll want to follow the requirements to the letter.  If you hire a guide for example, that's people-to-people.   The busker you tipped $1?  People.    The kids playing in the square?  People too. 

We used a walking guide from HavanaTourCompany who was excellent.   Pre-paid in USD online.  Met us on time, and was very knowledgeable. 

IMG_0003.thumb.PNG.90c831baf951aecdb4e6daee079a3ccd.PNG

I sincerely hope that everyone who has booked a cruise to Cuba gets to go.  We have done many cruises to foreign ports & this was one of the most interesting ones that we have visited.  

This is going to severely impact the Cuban people...

48 minutes ago, sjbdtz said:

When you're there, make sure to do these things:

1. Interact with local people (as many as possible)

2. Get photos whenever possible.

3. Document it all and keep the documentation for 5 years.

If they're going to start cracking down on the People-to-People exchanges, you'll want to follow the requirements to the letter.  If you hire a guide for example, that's people-to-people.   The busker you tipped $1?  People.    The kids playing in the square?  People too. 

We used a walking guide from HavanaTourCompany who was excellent.   Pre-paid in USD online.  Met us on time, and was very knowledgeable. 

IMG_0003.thumb.PNG.90c831baf951aecdb4e6daee079a3ccd.PNG

Good idea. But they are not cracking down on people to people visits. They are being eliminated. Family visits only. 

15 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

Good idea. But they are not cracking down on people to people visits. They are being eliminated. Family visits only. 

"Still, the details of the travel restriction were not clear. There are up to a dozen categories of such travel, and the administration did not say whether they would be prohibited"

I realize it's the fakenews loser NYT, but still... https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/17/world/americas/cuba-trump-travel-lawsuits.html

At the most. I hope they just restrict excursions to be purchased on ship and not privately on land. 8 billion has been spent there since Obama opened it up and one never knows if the private tour companies are govt backed.

On 4/17/2019 at 2:40 PM, pghflyer said:

Guess I waited too long to jump on these Cuba cruises, seems like the US Government is going back to not allowing travel there.......not sure what that will mean for most these cruises.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-administration-announces-new-measures-against-cuba/2019/04/17/cfc2bc96-6132-11e9-9ff2-abc984dc9eec_story.html?utm_term=.89cb2fbe7402

I'm supposed to sail to Cuba in June.  Will wait to hear from the cruise line. ☹️

On 4/15/2019 at 7:45 PM, Lucinarei said:

I'm on the Sky to Cuba in July... how do we obtain a visa? It was my understanding that we could purchase our visas prior to embarkation. Is this still the case? The FAQs on the NCL site are a bit confusing... 

You need to call NCL and have them get the visa. It costs a little bit more than if you did it yourself but much easier to go through NCL. You will receive when you embark the ship.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:01 PM, wwwfla said:

Check Trip Advisor, Blexie is the Winner!

One of the best excursions we ever have done!

Our guide, Laura, was very personable, knowledgeable and passionate.

Had a great guide, Roly, who works for Blexie. Highly recommend.

8 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

You need to call NCL and have them get the visa. It costs a little bit more than if you did it yourself but much easier to go through NCL. You will receive when you embark the ship.

Thank you! I did that yesterday and have now been charged and have a listing on my edocs that I've purchased the visas. Now here's hoping the cruises to Cuba continue through the summer!

4 hours ago, LD Silver said:

Not nearly as much as decades of communist dictatorship.

I absolutely agree!  However, we don't get to choose where we were born so I do feel sympathy with the ordinary Joe on the street of Havana who is just trying to eke out a living for himself and his family.  Maybe once Raul is gone the tide will turn. 

Anyway, as someone mentioned previously this is not a political forum....so I apologize if my comment seemed out of place.

Cheers

Sandy

On 4/17/2019 at 3:13 PM, rhinomike said:

Yes. I am scheduled to depart in less than two weeks on a NCL ship to Cuba. Does anybody know what this will mean for my trip?  Thank you. 

I read on another board the effective date is May 2.   We have a cruise in February that looks like it won't happen.   Losing non refundable air.....not a happy camper.

12 hours ago, HokiePoq said:

I read on another board the effective date is May 2.   We have a cruise in February that looks like it won't happen.   Losing non refundable air.....not a happy camper.