Viking Sky evacuated off coast of Norway with engine problems

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Good news to see that the ship is now safely in port in Norway.  Details are on the Viking thread.

News of the evacuation of passengers and storm damage is being shown on ABC Breakfast News this morning.  

Having experienced furniture sliding from one side of a ship to the other and back as the ship rolled, as well as having to hold on to a rope to cross the lift wells, on my first overseas cruise (from NY to Rotterdam across the Atlantic) I know how terrifying this experience is.  However, my experience was minor compared to what the passengers on the Viking Sky experienced.

Agreed, it would have been quite frightening.

19 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I am so glad everybody is now safe...... but how on a new ship does all four engines stop at once ????

Fuel... cooling... or major electrical problem ???

Also the video of in the forward lounge... with the people sitting in the chairs with that large planter sliding round....What if it slid into one of the them....???

Cheers Don

I imagine it was a generator issue rather than the engines.

9 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Also the video of in the forward lounge... with the people sitting in the chairs with that large planter sliding round....What if it slid into one of the them....???

Cheers Don

Where they were sitting could be a muster station.

Well that is a strange turn up for sure. It explains why the engines all failed. Initially they said it was the power loss, which meant the generator issues. Of course if there are no engines there is no power.

"The heavy seas in Hustadvika probably caused movements in the tanks so large that the supply to the lubricating oil pumps stopped," Alvestad said. "This triggered an alarm indicating a low level of lubrication oil, which in turn shortly thereafter caused an automatic shutdown of the engines."

Interesting.... another automatic system... which should have an override button...

Planes now ships......

Makes you wonder... want about the human factor.....   Warning light comes on... check to see want is happening... then act...

Not some bit of software.... the oil is low shutdown all the engines.... to bad what is happening outside.

Cheers Don

5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Interesting.... another automatic system... which should have an override button...

Planes now ships......

Makes you wonder... want about the human factor.....   Warning light comes on... check to see want is happening... then act...

Not some bit of software.... the oil is low shutdown all the engines.... to bad what is happening outside.

Cheers Don

I was thinking the same thing. Safety functions that are actually causing safety issues, some catastrophically.

Well I am glad that everybody is Ok..... and hope the injured people are getting better

Even though being Airlifted off a ship in rough weather..... would be a terrifying experience....

Something I wouldn't want to do... particularity as I do not like heights

( had to hang on looking out of the sky tower in Auckland ) 

then I saw a jumper going past the window on zip lines.... no way

Cheers Don   

10 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Oil levels were the issue according to this report.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2019/03/27/viking-sky-cruise-ship-engines-failed-lack-oil-official-says/3288348002/

Off to check the oil level in my car 😧

Maybe the captain didn't see the oil can symbol light up on the dash ☺️

They should've taken the ship into the dealership for the free initial 1500km service.

Edited by plettza

21 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Well I am glad that everybody is Ok..... and hope the injured people are getting better

Even though being Airlifted off a ship in rough weather..... would be a terrifying experience....

Something I wouldn't want to do... particularity as I do not like heights

( had to hang on looking out of the sky tower in Auckland ) 

then I saw a jumper going past the window on zip lines.... no way

Cheers Don   

For me it would be an adventure to be airlifted (controlled circumstance as a adrenaline junky) but not in this situation it would have been very scary, and I am glad I was not aboard.

11 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Planes now ships......

Cheers Don

An auto shutdown is far preferable to permanent damage.

15 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Oil levels were the issue according to this report.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2019/03/27/viking-sky-cruise-ship-engines-failed-lack-oil-official-says/3288348002/

Off to check the oil level in my car 😧

Thanks. Going to be a very expensive lesson for Viking.