3-23-2019 - Just off the MSC Seaside. My perspective.

Yoitsbbg

Thanks for your review, enjoyed reading.

Sailed Seaside last Sept for our 1st MSC trial run, but just in one of those huge balconies deck 9, an S3 Suite. Added in the Thermal spa for $130 p/p and loved it along with our Bali Sport massages for only $77 p/p, Great therapists and very relaxing. Usually only do specialty dining so tried the Trio pkg and also used the Black status dinner option along with Brunch at Butcher's Cut. Did dine in MDR but only one night as it was incredibly slow and painful to eat with other 6 tablemates. We didn't care for our selections, so you probably didn't miss anything there. OMG, I can't believe you didn't try the chocolate place. Great coffee drinks, and yummy choc martinis for sure! Also, the gelato is delicious on ship.

We also enjoyed most of their entertainment, as it was so different than other cruise lines. Surprised you'd go only once, and decide not to try any more. But, to each their own, it wasn't my vacation, it was yours.

Going again this Sept, this time in YC, so very interested in your feedback on the restaurant. Agree, it's a big deal for us during our cruises also. You really feel you've had better service in Chili's??? Hard to believe...

One question, is there smoking allowed in the Yacht Club areas, ie pool area, etc?? Not sure I've seen it mentioned. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, cruisetimeforme said:

Sailed Seaside last Sept for our 1st MSC trial run, but just in one of those huge balconies deck 9, an S3 Suite. Added in the Thermal spa for $130 p/p and loved it along with our Bali Sport massages for only $77 p/p, Great therapists and very relaxing. Usually only do specialty dining so tried the Trio pkg and also used the Black status dinner option along with Brunch at Butcher's Cut. Did dine in MDR but only one night as it was incredibly slow and painful to eat with other 6 tablemates. We didn't care for our selections, so you probably didn't miss anything there. OMG, I can't believe you didn't try the chocolate place. Great coffee drinks, and yummy choc martinis for sure! Also, the gelato is delicious on ship.

We also enjoyed most of their entertainment, as it was so different than other cruise lines. Surprised you'd go only once, and decide not to try any more. But, to each their own, it wasn't my vacation, it was yours.

Going again this Sept, this time in YC, so very interested in your feedback on the restaurant. Agree, it's a big deal for us during our cruises also. You really feel you've had better service in Chili's??? Hard to believe...

One question, is there smoking allowed in the Yacht Club areas, ie pool area, etc?? Not sure I've seen it mentioned. Thanks!

Yes, smoking is allowed in the outdoor Yacht Club area, on the starboard side of pool deck and the lounge areas in front if Top Sail.

1 hour ago, cruisetimeforme said:

If I remember correctly, smoking only in designated areas.  I don't recall if there was smoking in the YC area or not.  SORRY.

As for dining service, yes.  Really thought I've had better SERVICE in Chilis.  We literally went thru 4-5 sets of wait staff.  Emanuelle and this other one from S. Africa really gave service on the ship like we had had in past cruise experiences, not 1 waiter (not even the good ones) once took the time to go over the menu nightly nor recommend or anything.  Kitchen was very slow.  As for food quality/taste/presentation, IMO it was very hit or miss.  Best dishes I think I had were the Rack of Lamb (hold the snarly brown gravy with cooked Cherries), the prime rib and lobster probably would have been good had I not had the snarly brown gravy, and the Tiramasu (on the menu nightly).  Nothing else really stood out as WOW.  Truffle Risotto did have a nice flavor.  I typically LOVE Escargot, but the prep on this ship was less than to be desired.  Again, I didn't dabble into taste too much as I think that's a matter of opinion.  What I might not like, someone else may.  From a foodie perspective, there were hardly any dishes that had a WOW factor with me.  More dishes that were a disappointment (Monk fish stew, Clam and Mussels Pot, Prawns, Lemon Dome to name a few).

As for entertainment, we gave it a try the first night.  Coming originally from up north (broadway, etc), just wasn't anything I was interested to watch.  A little better than a high school show.  (Again, IMO).  

Never hit the chocolate bar bc we had awesome coffeses/drinks in the YC lounge.  Really spent most of our time there relaxing and enjoying the quiet. 

My wife and I both did a massage and it was OK.  Not bad/not spectacular.  She did deep tissue and I did the Lymphatic one.  It was fine.  Thermal area was nice to have access to.

YO

10 hours ago, cruisetimeforme said:

There is smoking in two areas of the Yacht Club.  On deck 16, outside the Top Sail Lounge on the Starboard side, and at the One Pool again on the starboard side (not at the pool or by the whirlpools), but in the middle section pas the bar going forward.  I'm not a smoker, but wasn't bothered by the smoke in either area.

As for the restaurant, we did like the variety of dishes every night, and they always had chicken, steak or salmon on the standing menu as well (only exception, I think was Italian night that I can recall).  The only thing is that some people are saying the service is "measured," (polite term!😉) so don't be in too much of a rush.  That being said, we were on the first week of March, and usually ate between 7:45 and 8:00, and we always made the last show in the theater around 9:30. 

14 hours ago, JAGR said:

There is smoking in two areas of the Yacht Club.  On deck 16, outside the Top Sail Lounge on the Starboard side, and at the One Pool again on the starboard side (not at the pool or by the whirlpools), but in the middle section pas the bar going forward.  I'm not a smoker, but wasn't bothered by the smoke in either area.

As for the restaurant, we did like the variety of dishes every night, and they always had chicken, steak or salmon on the standing menu as well (only exception, I think was Italian night that I can recall).  The only thing is that some people are saying the service is "measured," (polite term!😉) so don't be in too much of a rush.  That being said, we were on the first week of March, and usually ate between 7:45 and 8:00, and we always made the last show in the theater around 9:30. 

Thanks for replying!!

YO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 6:29 AM, jean87510 said:

Thx for review. We are unfortunately not in yacht club since its sold out on our cruise next January. I am gathering up information with all of these reviews and appreciate yours and others honesty about msc. Did you have a chance to go to the gym and if so, was the equipment up to date?

We sailed last July, and sailing again this July.  I used the gym every morning and found it to be the most comprehensively equipped gym on any ship I've sailed.  Even had free weights & barbells + typical machines.  Plenty of treadmills, ellipticals, and 2 rowing machines. They have a schedule of classes, but I did not participate in any of those.

44 minutes ago, psmarkle said:

We sailed last July, and sailing again this July.  I used the gym every morning and found it to be the most comprehensively equipped gym on any ship I've sailed.  Even had free weights & barbells + typical machines.  Plenty of treadmills, ellipticals, and 2 rowing machines. They have a schedule of classes, but I did not participate in any of those.

Great! Thanks for the response. Now I'm set with a good gym and the thermal pass for the cruise.