Tell me about Labadee...

On 4/3/2019 at 12:33 PM, BTHodgeman said:

The clamshell was perfect for us, even though we didn't use it. We were able to use our lockable bag, lock it to a chair under the clamshell, and go spend time in the water, on the roller coaster, etc.

Did you have the KYSS bag or something else that you used to lock the bag to the chair?

I actually saw a guard throw a vendor on the ground and take him away after he touched a passage on the arm, not in a mean way, but to get the passengers attention. Yes, the vendors are pushy but I do feel the security has the passengers safety in mind. This was about 13 years ago.  

In August I noticed the vendors family members were able to eat at the buffet, they wore a yellow shirt and a visitor badge, with their vendor parent/spouse, but everyone was polite and no one was trying to sell anything at the buffet. 

Speaking of the buffet, I agree it wasn’t very good, and I wasted a lot of food, it was sad to see people opposite the fence begging for food while I wasted it. 

Edited by Shanleigh

34 minutes ago, Shanleigh said:

Speaking of the buffet, I agree it wasn’t very good, and I wasted a lot of food, it was sad to see people opposite the fence begging for food while I wasted it. 

I have never seen people begging for food... where do you walk to see this?

11 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I have never seen people begging for food... where do you walk to see this?

I noticed it at the buffet in Columbus Cove sitting at the picnic tables, it wasn’t inside the fence but rather outside the fence, sorry I wasn’t clear about that.  Over the fence there was a rock mountain like formation and several people were sitting on trying to get passengers  attention, by yelling, pointing and doing a eating sign with their hands to their mouth. I sadly looked and turned the other way. I know there was nothing I could do but still sad. 

Edited by Shanleigh

1 minute ago, Shanleigh said:

I noticed it at the buffet in Columbus Cove sitting at the picnic tables, it wasn’t inside the fence but rather outside the fence, sorry I wasn’t clear about that.  Over the fence there was a rock mountain like formation and several people were sitting on trying to get passengers  attention, by yelling, pointing and doing a eating sign with their hands to their mouth. I sadly looked and turned the other way. I know there was nothing I could do but still sad. 

I've always eaten by where the zipline lands, but I use Columbus Cove as my beach, and I've never noticed it.  Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Shanleigh said:

I actually saw a guard throw a vendor on the ground and take him away after he touched a passage on the arm, not in a mean way, but to get the passengers attention. Yes, the vendors are pushy but I do feel the security has the passengers safety in mind. This was about 13 years ago.  

In August I noticed the vendors family members were able to eat at the buffet, they wore a yellow shirt and a visitor badge, with their vendor parent/spouse, but everyone was polite and no one was trying to sell anything at the buffet. 

There are plenty of ways to donate to or assist the people of Haiti if you feel the desire or need to. I’ve spend some time in Haiti and they are great people, always happy to go help them. 

You can avoid walking through the vendor area, however if Columbus Cove is crowded and you end up with a lounging spot toward the back of the beach, near the food & vendor area, the vendors DO holler endlessly at you (especially if you're wearing something they can identify with..."Hey lady in the pink NIKE shirt") as well as hollering at the people walking through the area.  Just sharing my experience - if you're on one of the big ships and want to go to Columbus Cove, get off early to get the best spots.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:34 AM, brillohead said:

It's BEYOND easy to avoid the vendors.  They aren't allowed to come into the eating areas, they aren't allowed to come onto the beaches.  

Have not been to Labadee with Royal but been there twice with Celebrity.  MANY of the locals were getting plates of food from the buffet and taking them to their area the last time we were there.  Thought that curious.

Agree with those who said you could avoid the vendors if you did not go up the hill outside the covered market.  Maybe things have changed over the years.

3 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Have not been to Labadee with Royal but been there twice with Celebrity.  MANY of the locals were getting plates of food from the buffet and taking them to their area the last time we were there.  Thought that curious.

Agree with those who said you could avoid the vendors if you did not go up the hill outside the covered market.  Maybe things have changed over the years.

And were they harassing you and hawking their wares in the buffet area, or just getting food and leaving without saying anything?

We were in a suite and got to go to Barefoot Beach. The guys there were prenominal. We were one of the first to arrive and set us up in shade. Got our drinks. Even moved us when the sun shifted. I saw them helping mobility impaired folks in and out of the water!  Great day.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:10 PM, Shanleigh said:

I've seen that as well and it is heartbreaking, especially when it involves kids. Years ago, I saw another passenger take a plate of food over to the fence and security politely asked them not to do that. I guess they did not want to encourage more people to beg from the other side of the fence. Last time I was there, parts of the fence seemed to be more of a wall so you could not see to the other side, nor pass food.