Help with planning our next cruise?

Looking for some opinions from some of you more experienced cruisers/travellers. We are quite interested in the Mar. 2021 Voyager cruise from Rio to Barcelona. It seems a good length of time for us, both places which are on our short list, with what looks like a good mix of ports of call, and leisurely days at sea. It also includes a free 3 day land tour.

I would be very interested in any opinions regarding ports, and land tour (which would be best pre or post tour), as well as any other comments, pro or con for this cruise. It seems to me to be quite a good value, unless of course there is something I am missing?

Also, if I was to put a 7 day hold on it would that guarantee the price would stay the same as what it says right now- I know there is talk of a price increase coming up Apr. 1.

Obviously, I like to plan well in advance!

It is great to hear that you plan on sailing on Regent again.  

You asked for opinions and mine is that I would not do a cruise that starts or ends in Rio.  While there are beautiful places to see, the crime overwhelms all of the good that the city can have.  I'm not talking about pickpockets which you would see in many major cities throughout the world - this is about ripping a necklace off your neck or using a knife to rip a handbag off of a woman's shoulder (with no concern about cutting the person).  A couple from the ship was walking near the ship and was told by a nice local to remove their jewelry - lest it be removed for you.  Regent gives a notice to passengers not to wear jewelry - not even wedding rings (but you would not know this since your cruise would begin in Rio).

You will likely hear from posters that love Rio but this is not our experience (and we have visited almost 100 countries.......Brazil is at the bottom of the list).  Another consideration is food.  Regent cannot source the quality of fruits and veggies in Brazil that they can in other parts of the world.  There are also issues with entertainers performing while in the waters of Brazil.  This obviously affects the shows.

My last rant against Rio is the visa.  You will pay quite a bit to get a visa for Rio.

Having said all of this, I would look at sailings in South Africa (Cape Town to Cape Town for example).  While the itinerary is not as long, the people care about their country and it shows.  This is one of our favorite areas of the world.

Another favorite is Norway but those sailings tend to be pricey.  We also enjoy and Middle East and Asia (especially anything that goes to Istanbul).  

IMHO, there are so many amazing places in the world that skipping Rio would not be a big deal.

You'll have to decide about Rio, lots of opinions here.  We loved our time there, but it was 10 years ago almost now, and I know things have gotten worse.  But I'd still go back.  It does look like an interesting itinerary, several stops in Brazil, etc.

I would definitely spend some significant time in and around Barcelona--at that time of year it shouldn't be completely overrun with tourists, and it really is an impressive city.  I wouldn't do a Regent land tour myself, but I love planning these things and want to choose what I do myself.  Barcelona is a great walking city.

Well, that is too bad to hear about Brazil- had no idea things were so bad there, and this is all of Brazil- not just Rio? So the ports of call would have the same issues? DH will be upset, he's always wanted to go there- I'm more interested in Barcelona. Cape Town looks great, but we would really like to experience a crossing (lazy days at sea).

TC- nothing about the 7 day hold?

Wendy- good to hear a somewhat different opinion. Hopefully more posters will offer theirs.

I guess we could do a Miami to Barcelona or Lisbon, or the other way around- I just thought that this one looked more interesting, and a pretty good deal, but as I said maybe there is a reason for that!

42 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

You'll have to decide about Rio, lots of opinions here.  We loved our time there, but it was 10 years ago almost now, and I know things have gotten worse.  But I'd still go back.  It does look like an interesting itinerary, several stops in Brazil, etc.

Actually Wendy, things are a bit better than 10 years ago.  The wall to wall graffiti has been cleaned up - at least for the couple of blocks near the sea.  Plus, the “several stops in Brazil” makes food provisioning even worse.  We just left South America [not Brazil) and the ship was running out of fruit, veggies and some wines.  in my opinion, food is even more difficult to acquire in Brazil.  Crime has not changed.

vegasdriven, if your DH wants to see Rio that much, do Cape Town to Cape Town and then Cape Town to Rio (lots of sea days). We have done this itinerary as well.   Most flights back to the states leaves late at night.  You could use a private driver to take you to the sites and then to the airport.  The big plus to this itinerary is that the flights home are much shorter.still think that there are much better places in the world to see but that is our opinion.

Edited by Travelcat2

We did this cruise (on the Mariner) 6 years ago and previously spent 10 days vacationing in BsAs and Iguazu. In January, we ended our Explorer cruise from Cape Town with an overnight in Rio.  Obviously, a lot depends upon your preferences but here is my educated opinion.

Do the pre-cruise land program in BsAs.  Lots to see and do. Saturday and Sunday mornings are especially nice as the street markets/craft fairs are happening.

Expect 2 full days in Rio as most flights depart in late evening. If you haven’t been there before, use Regent Air and Regent will take care of you for the departure day, probably near a beach. If you have been to Rio before, consider leaving for the airport after dinner on the day before normal disembarkation.

Uruguay is lovely but 2 days in Montevideo needs some planning.  Punta del Este is marvelous; I could live there (if I won the Lottery).

Rio Grande Brazil is probably the worst place that I have ever visited! I asked the Mariner CD why Regent stopped there. His reply: “if I had only one day to live, I’d want it to be in Rio Grande – the day would seem like forever.”

Ilha Grande and Buzios are lovely beach towns. We bought some beautiful art crafts there.

Six years ago, we didn't experience the provision shortages that TC2 discussed. I expect that your ship would be restocked in Uruguay so I don't think that that should be a problem. Any interesting aspect of our cruise ending in Brazil was that Regent was required to collect Brazilian sales taxes for sales in Boutiques and bars when the ship was in Brazilian territorial waters!

Brazil is a place that I'd only visit once but Argentina and Uruguay are repeat becons for me. We are now booked for a 1/2021 Grand Voyage on Mariner but we may switch to the BsAs to Lima.

Best wishes on your selection

Jim C

Visited Rio and Igazu Falls on our own in 2014 on our way to Antarctica. We stayed on Copacobano Beach and had a guide to see all the sights. In the evening we walked along the beach and took a cab to Ipamema Beach. Ate in local places along the beach. We would not hesitate to go back.   It is a large city so do need to pay attention. 

Apparently the visas are easier to get and cheaper but don’t last as long. (Ours were both expensive and difficult to get).  I would ask TA about this. 

• Like 1

Just to let you know that Brazil visas will be eliminated later this year, definitely will be gone before you travel.

We stopped in Rio on the world cruise last year, and were somewhat apprehensive based on the comments here. We now regret that we did not do some things on our own. When we left, we noticed that there was a very nice area around the port for walking around. Next time, we will also do the Copacabana on your own excursion.

Oh, and Regent never told us to leave wedding rings on the ship, or even jewelry, just gave the generic warnings for any big city.

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Actually Wendy, things are a bit better than 10 years ago.  The wall to wall graffiti has been cleaned up - at least for the couple of blocks near the sea.  Plus, the “several stops in Brazil” makes food provisioning even worse.  We just left South America [not Brazil) and the ship was running out of fruit, veggies and some wines.  in my opinion, food is even more difficult to acquire in Brazil.  Crime has not changed.

Well then I'd definitely go again.  I'm trying to remember if there were provisioning problems going up the coast of Brazil towards the Caribbean--I think there were minor ones, but nothing drastic.

We loved the Ipanema area, and wandered around in the evenings and felt safe, although we were watchful.  We were told not to walk on the beach at night.  I know there can be violent crime there, so I would definitely be watchful, and probably hire a private guide like we did before, and stay in an upscale area.  But as for petty crime like purse snatching, I think Barcelona is probably worse.

To the OP, I know it might be too long for you (21 nights), but I'm hankering after the Lima - Buenos Aires leg of this trip.  Although I don't know how back the weather would be down south in Ushuaia in March.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

12 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

But as for petty crime like purse snatching, I think Barcelona is probably worse.

Barcelona tops many lists for pickpockets (Rome is up there as well) but, as mentioned earlier, they just snatch your purse while in Rio some vandals will cut it off of you and then rip your jewelry off.  IMO, this is more dangerous that pickpocketing.  We have walked all over Barcelona without a problem but would not do so in Rio.

If this works correctly, this https://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/tag/crime/ are some local and recent news articles.

This article has tips to stay safe in Rio https://www.smartertravel.com/tips-rio-de-janeiro-warnings-dangers-stay-safe/

If you are going to go - at least stay safe.  

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

Thank you Jackie, I certainly respect your expertise, and it is giving me things to consider. I will do more research, and discuss with DH. I wouldn't be surprised if this changes his mind. Luckily (if one considers it lucky to wait 2 yrs for a Regent cruise), we have lots of time to pick the best one for us.

Thanks, also to the other posters for their insight. Hopefully there will be more!

In 2014 we did Rio to  Barcelona on Mariner. We made our own arrangements and stayed at the JW Marriott at Copacabana Beach. On the one day we had there, we arranged a tour through the hotel. All went well, and we boarded the ship with no difficulty.  

@vegasdriven  Be careful about booking another Regent cruise - you never know what kind of shady characters you might meet!  :classic_laugh:

We haven't firmed anything up that far out yet, but we've been looking at the Jan '21 Cape Town -> Rio sailing...but I also have a 'milestone' birthday in April of that year so Annemarie is thinking of doing something then instead...we're waiting for the rest of the 2021 itineraries to be released in August.

I think I told you guys that these things are addictive, didn't I?  Hahahahaha!!

Bill, oh yeah, we are addicted😍

I do check out other cruise lines, but I always come up with a reason to stick with Regent, so far anyway!

I did go back and look at the Cape Town sailings, and they are now on our shortlist. I really like the idea of the included 3 nights, but am wondering if you might be able to upgrade to one of the safaris. It would be a shame to go that far, and not have that experience. Oh why do work, and finances get in the way?

Thanks everyone for the help so far. I just booked the rio to Barcelona cruise with a 7 day hold. I think with the included pre cruise in Rio we should be fine there having transportation and tours taken care of by Regent. However we will be diligent in keeping safety at the forefront of our minds.

We may indeed end up switching to another cruise as it is a long time away, but it is nice to have something to look forward to🙂

• Like 2

vegas - sure wish we could join you guys on that one but it's just a bit long for us to be gone...it looks like a fantastic cruise, though, I'm sure you'll have a great time!!

Edited by UUNetBill
fix typo

Vegas-- are you referring to the Rio to Barcelona that is a segment on the 30 day Buenos Aires to Barcelona on the Voyager?  What are you referring to when you say "included pre-cruise in Rio".  I see a 3 day pre-cruise package offered in Rio as an add-on that doesn't appear to be "included".  Thx for clarifying.

wcsdkqh, if you go to the Regent site, and click on special offers, and scroll down you will come to an offer for free 2 or 3 day land programs for quite a few sailings. I looked at the Buenos Aires to Barcelona, and it qualifies for that offer. 

I spoke to my Regent agent this morning, and booked Rio to Barcelona, with a 7 day hold, and we received this offer (decided on the pre rather than post cruise for a couple of reasons- due to comments re safety in Rio, as well as it will give us a nice buffer to make sure we won't miss the cruise- I'm rather anal, try to figure out every eventuality🤷‍♀️),along with our seven seas discount, which I was quite pleased about.

Next step will be to transfer this to my new TA, as soon as I pass it by DH, which shouldn't be a problem as he lets me do all the detail work, it's not his thing.

Hope this works out for you if you are planning on doing that 30 day cruise.

Bill, we would love to have you aboard "our"ship😄 

We are taking the plunge with a longer cruise, but it is really time, all work and no play you know! I guess we are a little closer to retirement than you two.

And you never know, we could change our minds yet, we definitely want to do Cape Town at some point.

On 3/29/2019 at 6:45 PM, vegasdriven said:

Bill, we would love to have you aboard "our"ship😄 

We are taking the plunge with a longer cruise, but it is really time, all work and no play you know! I guess we are a little closer to retirement than you two.

And you never know, we could change our minds yet, we definitely want to do Cape Town at some point.

Debra - hopefully we'll cross paths with you and Chris again but in the meantime I'm going to count on you to post pics and comments from all of your Regent cruises so we at least get a taste of Regent while we're landbound.  :-)

Bill, sadly our cruise is not till Mar 2021, so you will likely be on one before us. We are going to keep our eye on a 7 day Mariner LA to LA- would be a fun way to try out another Regent ship fairly close to home, but even that one is not till Oct 2020, so either way we will be stuck with living vicariously through others experiences. Thank God for CC😍

• Like 1