Shaver sockets on Iona

RICO72

Whilst researching cabin socket availability/location for my upcoming Arcadia cruise, I noticed this line printed on the P&O page from their FAQ section :

'Shaving sockets on Iona are only available in Suites'

Seems rather a lack of foresight in planning to me. Fine if you can recharge your shaver in the cabin elsewhere but no luck plugging in directly in the bathroom for this ship. What do you think?

I have the adaptor that allows a 3 pin UK plug to convert to either US or EU style plugs including shaver points but it does seem that will not be sufficient to use in the bathroom on Iona - only within the cabin area. I maintain this is a silly oversight.

....and, of course, P-L-B, your idea only works for individuals who have rechargeable shavers rather than mains only - still can't use the bathroom for the latter.

Edited by RICO72
Additional info to reply to P-L-B

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have never come across a shaver socket on any ship that takes my shaver plug they are always too small.

I'm the same. I did find out reception will loan you a convertor which worked for a £10 deposit.

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Britannia is the same and you need a plug converter.

Aah but, having been on Britannia and confirming info on the P&O faq section, the bathroom on Britannia has a specific shaver point. Thus, as long as you posess the correct adaptor, which I do, you can use a mains and/or rechargeable shaver in the bathroom. Not so on Iona - unless you book a suite or recharge out in the main cabin then take the shaver back in the bathroom. I have a mains shaver so cannot do this - thus will have to shave in the main cabin - still a silly idea P&O.

Edited by RICO72
clarification

3 hours ago, CCFC said:

I'm the same. I did find out reception will loan you a convertor which worked for a £10 deposit.

Our cabin steward appeared with one we could borrow when we mentioned it!!

5 hours ago, RICO72 said:

Whilst researching cabin socket availability/location for my upcoming Arcadia cruise, I noticed this line printed on the P&O page from their FAQ section :

'Shaving sockets on Iona are only available in Suites'

Seems rather a lack of foresight in planning to me. Fine if you can recharge your shaver in the cabin elsewhere but no luck plugging in directly in the bathroom for this ship. What do you think?

It seems a very strange omission. I've never previously been in any cruise ship or hotel bathroom that hasn't had a two-pin shaver socket.

Must say my current rechargeable shaver lasts over two weeks and I get a 5 o'clock shadow around 3pm so shave twice a day. My old one lasted about a week. Braun 7000 series is my new one and works well if anyone is after one. I do still take a 3 pin to shaver convertor just in case though. Quite a few years ago our bags didn't get to the ship in Rome due to missing the connecting flight from Paris, they finally got to us in Malta. I had forgotten how much tissue paper you need with a wet shave when you haven't done it for a while.

It does seem odd not to have a shaver socket. Its not like its a trend that's going out of style. (like having a VHS or 8-Trak in the cabin).

I'm guessing its just saving the cost of installing them. It certainly can't be an energy saving decision as some will still use adpators. Besides, I hear people seem to charge a half dozen items in the cabins these days - so what's one more to that list?

13 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

It does seem odd not to have a shaver socket. Its not like its a trend that's going out of style. (like having a VHS or 8-Trak in the cabin).

I'm guessing its just saving the cost of installing them. It certainly can't be an energy saving decision as some will still use adpators. Besides, I hear people seem to charge a half dozen items in the cabins these days - so what's one more to that list?

Is it not an old fashioned thing?

Mine is rechargeable, as all my previous ones have been, so it doesn't matter where I charge them.

I have never thought about it much, but I didn't realise you could still buy mains only razors?

Perhaps I live a sheltered life...

Andy

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Is it not an old fashioned thing?

Mine is rechargeable, as all my previous ones have been, so it doesn't matter where I charge them.

I have never thought about it much, but I didn't realise you could still buy mains only razors?

Perhaps I live a sheltered life...

Andy

I must admit that I have never considered buying a mains only shaver for many years, in fact I can only remember having one when as a teenager I hardly needed a shaver, so for the last 50 years or so I have only had a rechargeable one

Haha good point AndyMichelle! Maybe it is going out of style - and with that I've realised my opinion is slightly wrong. Mines rechargable also, and of course you don't have to use a shaver-only socket to charge it.

I guess I'm thinking its more of a convienece thing to charge it in the bathroom, and yet its no different to using the three-pin.

So yeah, I completely understand them phasing the sockets out. Why spend out on something that'll hardly get used.

11 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Haha good point AndyMichelle! Maybe it is going out of style - and with that I've realised my opinion is slightly wrong. Mines rechargable also, and of course you don't have to use a shaver-only socket to charge it.

I guess I'm thinking its more of a convienece thing to charge it in the bathroom, and yet its no different to using the three-pin.

So yeah, I completely understand them phasing the sockets out. Why spend out on something that'll hardly get used.

If there was a socket in the bathroom, I would use it to charge mine like I do at home.

I start shaving in the bathroom, but then go walkabout, so it makes no difference where I charge it.

Andy

This not only affects shavers though. I use the bathroom shaver socket to recharge my toothbrush so that would be inconvenient in the cabin. Another thing to remember to pack - a shaver adapter. 

11 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

This not only affects shavers though. I use the bathroom shaver socket to recharge my toothbrush so that would be inconvenient in the cabin. Another thing to remember to pack - a shaver adapter. 

Aah, good point.

But, as with razors, where you charge it doesn't have to be where you use it.

Note to self, always take an adaptor...

Andy