My Cuba Photo Book

Mr. Click

We went to Cuba in January with Azamara.  9 nights Cuba Intensive and it was indeed intensive and beautiful and challenging. The weather in Havana was pretty dreary and wet for the most part but that did not mean I stopped trying to make pictures.  I did a photo book using Blurb.com and wanted to share it here since you all have been so supportive.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/8068049/a35e7b5ddf22cf471153715b3b2bd7022b22615b

I used my Canon 5D Mark III, lenses were all Canon, 16-35 2.8, 24-105 IS 4 and 70-200 IS 2.8. Add in the Canon 1.4TC.  I found myself using the 24-105 more and more but I could never bring myself to give up the other two lenses.  

Cuba is a great place to visit right now. We are actually talking about going back in the near future.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ken. The books are a labor of love for me.  After a long career in photography it is hard to not make pictures where ever we go and I have found the books are a great way to share the images.  Otherwise they just end up sitting on a hard drive on my desk.

Very nice photos. I too make books using Blurb. For those of you who use Lightroom and don't know, the book module in LR integrates with Blurb. You can create a photo book in LR and upload it directly from LR to Blurb for printing. I have done this in the past and been quite pleased with the quality from Blurb. 

36 minutes ago, Dan_K said:

Very nice photos. I too make books using Blurb. For those of you who use Lightroom and don't know, the book module in LR integrates with Blurb. You can create a photo book in LR and upload it directly from LR to Blurb for printing. I have done this in the past and been quite pleased with the quality from Blurb. 

Another Blurb fan. All of my Picture-A-Week annual books are from them and the quality is superb.

Not only did this thread present an excellent book project from Mr. Click but it is highlighting an issue that we should all be aware of. How do we make the images we take available to others in a way that is easily accessible and won't bore them to death?

I'm in the process of researching the technology that Disney uses in their Club 33 to display high resolution images on LED screens so they look like prints in normal room light. 4K screens are so cheap now that replacing the large static prints on the walls with active screens makes some sense. Changing the images hourly, daily or whatever time frame that seems best will solve my not-enough-walls problem to some extent.

I like the idea of a YouTube slideshow to communicate with the electronically addicted in our families.

Dave

Dan_K, thanks for the information about Blurb and LR. I am a Photo Mechanic guy more out of habit than anything else but it is good to know about the connection.  My concern with that type of deal would be not being able to manage my own layouts.  I like picking and choosing what what I want to show big and what can be smaller.  

On another note, I am really glad I went to Cuba in February because it looks like travel to Cuba is being cut back yet again for US citizens and ships sailing from US ports.  So much for my plan for a quick return to Cuba next spring.

15 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Dan_K, thanks for the information about Blurb and LR. I am a Photo Mechanic guy more out of habit than anything else but it is good to know about the connection.  My concern with that type of deal would be not being able to manage my own layouts.  I like picking and choosing what what I want to show big and what can be smaller. 

I find LR to be flexible in this regard. I have found no restrictions on the layout, size of photos, number of photos per page, text, fonts, background colors, etc. 

59 minutes ago, Dan_K said:

I find LR to be flexible in this regard. I have found no restrictions on the layout, size of photos, number of photos per page, text, fonts, background colors, etc. 

Thanks Dan_K.  Something to look into before the next trip and after the big move that seems to be consuming my time right now.