credit card question

I cannot find this in the forums so I figured I would just ask.  I am traveling with a friend and was wondering if we can put a different credit card under each of our names or do we have to use the  same credit card for both of our purchases while on the ship?  It would be nice to be able to keep our purchases separate. 

Sure you can! You will complete a SetSail pass for each person, each with their own method of payment. One of the questions is if you want to pay for others in the reservation...just say no. 

• Like 1

Okay. Uncheck the box of the other person(s):classic_rolleyes:

I do it every cruise. My husband and I each use our own credit card from different banks, because we have separate accounts onboard. And if I can figure it out....

And apologies Hogbay, maybe the SetSail passes are different in Australia? 

Edited by Coralc

Also, do they place a hold on a Credit Card? How much? I’m using my card for all seven of us. So if the hold is over say 500 pp, I’ll have to pay the hotel & car (which do place extra holds) with another card.

Edited by October17

2 minutes ago, October17 said:

Also, do they place a hold on a Credit Card? How much? I’m using my card for all seven of us. So if the hold is over say 500 pp, I’ll have to pay the hotel & car (which do place extra holds) with another card.

I’ve seen holds every night for the amount of my on board charges from that day. 

4 minutes ago, October17 said:

They put holds on Debit cards, I have never noticed any significant hold on a credit card 💳

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, little britain said:

They put holds on Debit cards, I have never noticed any significant hold on a credit card 💳

I've only seen holds on our credit card a couple of times.  However, most cruises I only see one charge at the end.  Could be because we usually have some OBC that covers most of our costs.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I've only seen holds on our credit card a couple of times.  However, most cruises I only see one charge at the end.  Could be because we usually have some OBC that covers most of our costs.

I’ve just seen the daily spend in the “pending charges” section ... like $30 for tips and a drink in a day.  I’ve never seen a significant sum as a hold. 

5 minutes ago, little britain said:

I’ve just seen the daily spend in the “pending charges” section ... like $30 for tips and a drink in a day.  I’ve never seen a significant sum as a hold. 

My statement only shows pending and posted.  No other category.

They do a hold up to twice a day for all charges. Then they charge your card for the entire amount on the day you leave the ship. I had $1700 in pending charges on my last cruise and then they ran the card for an additional 1700 that posted the next day. One by one, the pending charges have been going away, but it was annoying for a few days as an extra 1700 was being held. 

4 hours ago, 1992cruiser said:

They do a hold up to twice a day for all charges. Then they charge your card for the entire amount on the day you leave the ship. I had $1700 in pending charges on my last cruise and then they ran the card for an additional 1700 that posted the next day. One by one, the pending charges have been going away, but it was annoying for a few days as an extra 1700 was being held. 

I've had this happen twice!

I tried a new thing last cruise that cut out the 'hold' but still let me charge up until getting off the ship:

1)  Mark the 'cash' option on the set sail paperwork or in the terminal. RC will give you a $300-$500 line of credit depending on the length of your cruise.

2)  As soon as you get on the ship go to guest services and give them $500 cash (or an amount that you think you are going to spend)

3) Next to the last day when there is really no line, stop at guest services and put a card on file and enjoy the rest of your trip.

4)  Anything over the cash you already put down comes off the card in one charge with no hold.  Any excess on your account - and this is really cool - goes back to the card as a credit within 3 days of getting off the ship. 

This may not be for everyone, but it accomplishes what I am looking to do.