Question about spa balconies when traveling with teens, 1 cabin spa, other regular ba

CarolinaMamma

We have two balconies booked for our family of 4. When we book, we have to put one adult and one kid in each room, then when we get onboard we get extra keys so that all of us can get in both rooms, and we put my husband and me in one room and the two teens in the other room. This is how we do it, the staff knows, and we’ve never had a problem with this before. 

Considering an upgrade bid for one of the rooms for a spa balcony or a spa mini suite. If one of our rooms is upgraded, let’s say, the room for me and my daughter, can we switch the room assignments once on board so that my husband and I are assigned to the spa cabin and the kids to the non-spa balcony?  I know we can’t do it in advance be3cause they need an adult booked in each room.

I have read conflicting information on this board when it comes to switching teens’ and adults’ rooms. In the past, we have just gotten extra keys and not officially changed who is in which room. If it’s not possible to actually change the cabin assignments once on board, maybe I should bid for the upgrade for both rooms, but I still don’t know what we’ll do if one room gets upgraded and the other doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Why not just buy Spa access for the adults and skip the risk of bidding?

In this case, the minimum bids are quite low and there are 10 unsold spa mini suites and at least 15 unsold spa balconies 15 days before the cruise, so the odds of getting an upgrade are quite good. If we got one room upgraded, it could cost less than one spa pass for the week. 

Edited by CarolinaMamma
  • Like 1

When we book like this, we’ve been restricted to the perks that come with booking, and have just been issued extra keys. For example, with DH and I booked in different (yet connecting) cabins, we each got the UBP while our kids got the soda package, even though we would have preferred to be #1 and #2 in a cabin and not have wasted the USP on 2 soda packages. I wouldn’t chance bidding in your case.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

When we book like this, we’ve been restricted to the perks that come with booking, and have just been issued extra keys. For example, with DH and I booked in different (yet connecting) cabins, we each got the UBP while our kids got the soda package, even though we would have preferred to be #1 and #2 in a cabin and not have wasted the USP on 2 soda packages. I wouldn’t chance bidding in your case.

Promos are one thing but stateroom privileges (perks) are different.... in this case, the OP would definitely get Spa Passes based on the stateroom. If that weren't the case, why would anyone bid on a Haven stateroom from a balcony stateroom if you didn't receive Haven privileges.

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

Promos are one thing but stateroom privileges (perks) are different.... in this case, the OP would definitely get Spa Passes based on the stateroom. If that weren't the case, why would anyone bid on a Haven stateroom from a balcony stateroom if you didn't receive Haven privileges.

Yes, all of the passengers booked in the stateroom get access to the spa. In this case, only one adult would have access, because the other adult wouldn’t be booked in a spa cabin.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Yes, all of the passengers booked in the stateroom get access to the spa. In this case, only one adult would have access, because the other adult wouldn’t be booked in a spa cabin.

OP indicated 2nd person is a child/teen.  They won't get access, only the one adult will.

27 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

OP indicated 2nd person is a child/teen.  They won't get access, only the one adult will.

The OP wants spa access for both adults, wants to transfer the access from the teen to the adult in the original cabin.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

The OP wants spa access for both adults, wants to transfer the access from the teen to the adult in the original cabin.

Exactly, and by policy that cannot happen. The second adult is not registered in the potential spa cabin. The pass is tied to the cabin. 

On 3/30/2019 at 8:14 AM, mjkacmom said:

We are going on Breakaway in a couple weeks and it was sad to waste the UBP "credits." A little irritating actually.

How does one find out how much spa passes are? We will be on Breakaway April 13... with every other kid in the North East US 😞

10 minutes ago, Blitzburggirl said:

We are going on Breakaway in a couple weeks and it was sad to waste the UBP "credits." A little irritating actually.

How does one find out how much spa passes are? We will be on Breakaway April 13... with every other kid in the North East US 😞

I think we are on the same cruise. Are you on the roll call and going to the meet and greet?

Spa passes are $200 per person for the week. You can buy them in advance on the NCL website or when you embark. 

To clarify, In my original post, I was asking if we could change the cabin assignments once onboard so that both adults are in one room and teens are in the other. I have heard on this forum that some people have done this, but I don’t know if they are actually changing the cabin assignments officially, which would be needed to get spa access for both adults, or just “unofficially” changing who is in which cabin, which we have done in the past. 

The other balcony that we have is on the same deck as the spa balconie, so I’m not worried about the cabins being far apart if we upgrade. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

I think we are on the same cruise. Are you on the roll call and going to the meet and greet?

Spa passes are $200 per person for the week. You can buy them in advance on the NCL website or when you embark. 

To clarify, In my original post, I was asking if we could change the cabin assignments once onboard so that both adults are in one room and teens are in the other. I have heard on this forum that some people have done this, but I don’t know if they are actually changing the cabin assignments officially, which would be needed to get spa access for both adults, or just “unofficially” changing who is in which cabin, which we have done in the past. 

The other balcony that we have is on the same deck as the spa balconie, so I’m not worried about the cabins being far apart if we upgrade. 

They don’t switch the passengers, they just issue extra keys.

56 minutes ago, Blitzburggirl said:

What’s irritating is that before the UBP perk, they allowed you to book kids in adjoining or connecting cabins.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry @CarolinaMamma!

I just saw your post :)

Sailaway tomorrow! YAY!!! I'm going to just go with it and hope that I can get a chair every now and then. I'm not going to allow myself to get caught up in the math gymnastics of people/pools/hot tubs. I guarantee the ratios are way better on ship than at work next week!!

Are you participating in Meet and Greet and Slot Pull? There is more chatter in the roll call as we get closer to sailaway!

• 4 years later...
On 3/29/2019 at 5:42 PM, CarolinaMamma said:

In this case, the minimum bids are quite low and there are 10 unsold spa mini suites and at least 15 unsold spa balconies 15 days before the cruise, so the odds of getting an upgrade are quite good. If we got one room upgraded, it could cost less than one spa pass for the week. 

edited because i didn't look at the date to see the cruise was passed. 

Edited by redmomof4

58 minutes ago, Nicladola22 said:

I'm cruising soon and have the same question. What was your advice?

My advice was to call their PCC and inquire about the straight up price to upgrade both to spa balcony suites as it may be reasonable if there really are that many left 

• Like 1