Reporting from Azura - very poor, and much in need of that refit!

Harry Peterson

12 minutes ago, rachiem said:

Have you tried any other Cruise Lines? We've only been on Celebrity, NCL and a mini cruise on Royal Caribbean. We have two booked with P&O. One next July on the Iona but one in Feb on the Azura to the Caribbean. 

I'm considering cancelling the one on Azura (£252 deposit, which we would loose) but I'd rather pay the little extra with Celebrity or NCL (which is about £500 more but include the drinks package)

Not sure what to do as we do like the look of the itinerary on the Azura one. At the end of the day, it won't be a cheap cruise...£5,900 (with upgraded flights and balcony cabin) but then there will be drinks and excursions, extra for speciality dining...so well over £6K

We’ve not tried any others yet, but may well do. Hurtigruten appeals the most for what it offers, but from what I’ve heard the ones you mention are considerably better than P&O these days.

P&O has changed in recent years, and it’s now aimed at a completely different market. Frankly, when I hear firsthand reports of people fighting over a piece of fish in the buffet I realise just how downmarket P&O has now become.

8 minutes ago, docco said:

We’ve not tried any others yet, but may well do. Hurtigruten appeals the most for what it offers, but from what I’ve heard the ones you mention are considerably better than P&O these days.

P&O has changed in recent years, and it’s now aimed at a completely different market. Frankly, when I hear firsthand reports of people fighting over a piece of fish in the buffet I realise just how downmarket P&O has now become.

Really? Thank god I don't eat fish!

I'm so in two minds, the ease of doing the fly cruise does appeal but we like our space, which we seemed to find on Celebrity.

I may see if I can downgrade our flights to save £800, then maybe spend that on the retreat area and some speciality restaurants.

Service on NCL Epic, we found poor but we are trying the Haven with them next month. Enjoyed the shows on both RCI and NCL.

Celebrity entertainment was a bit of a let down but lovely quiet areas to just have a drink and service top notch

10 minutes ago, rachiem said:

Really? Thank god I don't eat fish!

I'm so in two minds, the ease of doing the fly cruise does appeal but we like our space, which we seemed to find on Celebrity.

I may see if I can downgrade our flights to save £800, then maybe spend that on the retreat area and some speciality restaurants.

Service on NCL Epic, we found poor but we are trying the Haven with them next month. Enjoyed the shows on both RCI and NCL.

Celebrity entertainment was a bit of a let down but lovely quiet areas to just have a drink and service top notch

Whilst I agree that P&O has changed somewhat over the years I would not place too much emphasis on a report of passengers fighting over a piece of fish. It is most likely an isolated incident considering the thousands of passengers that cruise with P&O each year. Also each cruise can be different in its own right depending on so many factors, e.g. the passenger demographic, ship, time of year, destination etc.

On 20+ cruises I've seen one such incident, on a very crowded ship in the school holidays. From what I saw it appeared to be a teenager being rude to a chap who took exception to this. When the chap reacted to the teenager the latter's dad jumped in to "defend" his son. Staff separated the "grown-ups" before it went any further.

200+ days cruising with P&O, 1 incident that lasted less than 2/3 minutes.

We've had 2 cruises on Azura, in school holiday time when it was busiest, and thoroughly enjoyed both. The most recent was last summer and we didn't notice any major issues around the ship (though admittedly I don't really go around looking for faults). I have every sympathy for those who have had specific problems, particularly with cabins and especially when it has spoilt their cruise. Maybe we have been lucky but I guess that I am trying to say that it is not all bad.

I hope that if you do try it for yourself that it all works out well.

Best regards

Damian

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Also each cruise can be different in its own right depending on so many factors, e.g. the passenger demographic, ship, time of year, destination etc.

Doubtless true, though having ventured into the buffet just two or three times in several cruises was enough to persuade us to stay well clear this time.  Last time round we had to apologise to the delightful and hardworking serving staff for the appalling behaviour of so many British passengers, pushing, shoving and being rude to the staff.

Not all of them, obviously, but a substantial proportion, and you see them constantly around the ship.  Sounds a bit snobby, I know, but it's very much more Blackpool and Benidorm these days than old-style cruising with people who knew how to behave.  I shudder to think what the poor staff make of the British.

Really interesting comments and I agree, once you notice a fault you tend to keep seeing it!

We generally don't like buffets and tend not to really eat lunch but Celebrity buffets were a bit like that. Had to hang on to my plate quite tightly!

29 minutes ago, docco said:

Doubtless true, though having ventured into the buffet just two or three times in several cruises was enough to persuade us to stay well clear this time.  Last time round we had to apologise to the delightful and hardworking serving staff for the appalling behaviour of so many British passengers, pushing, shoving and being rude to the staff.

Not all of them, obviously, but a substantial proportion, and you see them constantly around the ship.  Sounds a bit snobby, I know, but it's very much more Blackpool and Benidorm these days than old-style cruising with people who knew how to behave.  I shudder to think what the poor staff make of the British.

Funny enough we avoid the buffet as much as possible for pretty much the same reasons as you. I hate being negative but it is just not for us. Worst was when we took our son to the kids tea but didn’t stay as it was full of adults (without kids) helping themselves. 

Thanks guys, so I've spoken to the booking agent and they have taken off the price of the premium flight, so flying economy now, which has reduced the holiday by £800

The saving can then be spent on (hopefully) the retreat and some speciality dining.

This makes the holiday cost £4800 with a balcony cabin on deck C (as we like the look of the larger balcony) so that's substantially cheaper than NCL or Celebrity.

The other thing my hubby isn't keen on are the black tie nights. Could we opt to pay extra and eat at another venue on those nights...maybe the Glass or Beach house? 

• Like 1

Everything comes down to expectations really. I find reviews for hotels that I've been to and wondered whether these people stayed in the same hotel as me!

It's a very personal thing and I'm sure no company can please everyone.

Always worth trying new things because as you grow older, your needs change. We used to look at holidays to keep the kids entertained, now we try to look for something a little quieter but also with varied entertainment

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rachiem said:

Thanks guys, so I've spoken to the booking agent and they have taken off the price of the premium flight, so flying economy now, which has reduced the holiday by £800

The saving can then be spent on (hopefully) the retreat and some speciality dining.

This makes the holiday cost £4800 with a balcony cabin on deck C (as we like the look of the larger balcony) so that's substantially cheaper than NCL or Celebrity.

The other thing my hubby isn't keen on are the black tie nights. Could we opt to pay extra and eat at another venue on those nights...maybe the Glass or Beach house? 

I'm with your husband on the black tie nights - it's outdated, appeals to a certain age group and demographic, and will eventually disappear in a puff of smoke.  However, a dark suit is perfectly acceptable and he won't feel remotely out of place in that.

I can thoroughly recommend the Epicurean if you fancy a really good dining experience.  £28 pp extra on Azura recently, but well worth it for the experience.  Wonderful service, with some really good (and interesting) dishes - if you fancy a bit of theatre, order the Crepes Suzette!  I'd put it on a par with many Michelin-starred restaurants.

Be warned, though - the black tie rule applies across all the restaurants, but obviously not the buffet.  For that you need a black belt.

Just now, docco said:

I'm with your husband on the black tie nights - it's outdated, appeals to a certain age group and demographic, and will eventually disappear in a puff of smoke.  However, a dark suit is perfectly acceptable and he won't feel remotely out of place in that.

I can thoroughly recommend the Epicurean if you fancy a really good dining experience.  £28 pp extra on Azura recently, but well worth it for the experience.  Wonderful service, with some really good (and interesting) dishes - if you fancy a bit of theatre, order the Crepes Suzette!  I'd put it on a par with many Michelin-starred restaurants.

Be warned, though - the black tie rule applies across all the restaurants, but obviously not the buffet.  For that you need a black belt.

Just now, docco said:

Thank you! Did laugh at the black belt remark 🙂

I thought I read somewhere that you could dine at another restaurant on these nights but must have been mistaken?

He will take a suit, just worried that after a day being hot and bothered in the sun, he won't want to wear it.

11 minutes ago, rachiem said:

This might help:  https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/enforced_dresscode

Met a very nice professional couple last week at dinner - his reaction was that he was the one paying, and he certainly wasn't going to allow an outfit like P&O to tell him what he should or shouldn't wear for dinner!

To avoid a lot of tut tutting from the elderly, though, a dark suit is a good compromise.  You can get away with a jacket and trousers (+tie) but it's not worth the aggravation.

Laughable, though, because if you turned up at any decent restaurant in a dinner suit the other customers would laugh their socks off at the high pretence!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, docco said:

This might help:  https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/enforced_dresscode

Met a very nice professional couple last week at dinner - his reaction was that he was the one paying, and he certainly wasn't going to allow an outfit like P&O to tell him what he should or shouldn't wear for dinner!

To avoid a lot of tut tutting from the elderly, though, a dark suit is a good compromise.  You can get away with a jacket and trousers (+tie) but it's not worth the aggravation.

Laughable, though, because if you turned up at any decent restaurant in a dinner suit the other customers would laugh their socks off at the high pretence!

Thank you, really useful

52 minutes ago, rachiem said:

Always worth trying new things because as you grow older, your needs change. We used to look at holidays to keep the kids entertained, now we try to look for something a little quieter but also with varied entertainment

1 hour ago, rachiem said:

You should give the black tie nights a go, you never know you might like them. Even if you only tried it for one night, as per your own words it's worth trying new things.

With regards to the buffet, they might not be to everyone's liking,  but to my mind part of the reason for the scrum is the size of the room where the food is laid out. Also if you go a bit later on around 8.30 there isn't so many people there then. The same applies to during the day, avoid the times when it first opens. We do a mixture of the dining room and the buffet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, docco said:

I've met some lovely people in Blackpool and visit every October (and I like to think we are nice people).

We have seen some seemingly 'well off' snobbish people treat staff like dirt on Celebrity so I guess there are the good and not so good on all cruise lines.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I've met some lovely people in Blackpool and visit every October (and I like to think we are nice people).

We have seen some seemingly 'well off' snobbish people treat staff like dirt on Celebrity so I guess there are the good and not so good on all cruise lines.

Blackpool's a great place - I agree.  But I can assure you that the people we apologised for weren't snobbish, and if they were 'well off' they hid it well.  Ignorant louts is nearer the mark.

1 minute ago, docco said:

Blackpool's a great place - I agree.  But I can assure you that the people we apologised for weren't snobbish, and if they were 'well off' they hid it well.  Ignorant louts is nearer the mark.

I think I know what you mean but I suppose I was saying that there are 'nightmare' passengers in all walks of life

If you get my drift :-)

5 hours ago, docco said:

Luckily, I have 6 of those, so the buffet is not an issue for me!!

6 hours ago, docco said:

I'm with your husband on the black tie nights - it's outdated, appeals to a certain age group and demographic, and will eventually disappear in a puff of smoke. 

I'm curious as to what the age group and demographic are.

For eating casual on black tie nights you have the choice of the buffet, they lay the tables, the Beach House part of the buffet with waiter service or the Glass House. The P&O site says the Glass House is black tie but when I cruised on Azura and her sister Ventura it was evening casual on black tie nights, no need to book either.

8 hours ago, davecttr said:

For eating casual on black tie nights you have the choice of the buffet, they lay the tables, the Beach House part of the buffet with waiter service or the Glass House. The P&O site says the Glass House is black tie but when I cruised on Azura and her sister Ventura it was evening casual on black tie nights, no need to book either.

Thanks, that's useful to know for an option 

16 hours ago, docco said:

Actually I would disagree with you entirely re the age group. I find that compliance with the dress code goes right across the age spectrum. Last week there was a party of beautifully dressed young ladies and gents who had put their own modern style onto black tie but it was undoubtedly black tie. 

People of all ages enjoy the chance to wear elegant clothes. 

I dont even think there is a specific demographic, just people who like formal nights and those who don’t and that,s fine. What does annoy me is people who try to push into the dining room in jeans and t shirts on formal night, if you don’t want to dress for it that’s a choice, there are other options for dining on these nights.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Actually I would disagree with you entirely re the age group. I find that compliance with the dress code goes right across the age spectrum. Last week there was a party of beautifully dressed young ladies and gents who had put their own modern style onto black tie but it was undoubtedly black tie. 

People of all ages enjoy the chance to wear elegant clothes. 

I dont even think there is a specific demographic, just people who like formal nights and those who don’t and that,s fine. What does annoy me is people who try to push into the dining room in jeans and t shirts on formal night, if you don’t want to dress for it that’s a choice, there are other options for dining on these nights.

Thank you Eglesbrech. I hope the formal nights don't disappear. We enjoy the opportunity to "dress up" and agree that all ages look fantastic on those evenings - had gentlemen in Military uniforms and Scottish formal wear  on our last cruise and they looked especially smart and I was proud to be part of the occasion.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

How the hell do you know that all P&O cruisers are Daily Mail/Express readers such nonsense.

All?  Nobody said that.  Maybe re-read the post?  And take a look at the papers people are reading/buying?  Or the views so frequently expressed on immigration and the EU.

• Like 1