Reporting from Azura - very poor, and much in need of that refit!

Harry Peterson

1 hour ago, emam said:

It was going to cost us £4000 for two people on an inside cabin for 14 nights. From booking I thought it was expensive, but put it down to flying and the ports (Greece and Italy). Hubby would have liked to visit these. I had all of the previous mentioned reasons for not doing so plus the fact of flying but was going to try and put them all out of my head. Then he also started to query those reasons as it got nearer to the time to pay for the holiday. So we cancelled just last week and booked Britannia for £1000 less, though the itinerary is different. 

Your'e right that seems a bit steep,no logic in their pricing.The large ships like Britannia tend to be cheaper,but Marella is free booze.lol.

Edited by brian1

6 hours ago, brian1 said:

Cunard 5 or 6 star.I don't think so.The only difference from the others is a stricter dress code.

Depends what section of Cunard they are rating if they say P&O is 3* then I would IMO say Britannia on Cunard is 4* Britannia Club 4.5* and Princess/Queens Grill 5*. Food in Britannia is a step up from on P&O and then again increasing to Queens which is excellent and justifies 5* for the superior food and service.

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Yet we are sailing Marella from Southampton to Iceland and back with a few good ports inbetween.Sept this year,14 days,balcony,£3200 for 2 of us. All similar cruises were at least £1500 dearer on other cruiselines.

Cities and Ice? I am on fire and Ice, also Iceland but £2660 for an outside single. Still, the booze is free and there are lots of dining options

6 hours ago, Bazrat said:

The reply to you question 2 of them have thirty plus years experience of cruising,the rest it varies they have all tried various cruise lines most chose p&o for price and convenience and they all told my wife to ignore this site because of the general attitude to p&o.

Fair enough. I’ve just seen so many posts on Facebook saying that “P&O are the best” from people who admit they’ve never cruised with anyone else! I wouldn’t take the advice to ignore this site though. I’ve gained so much useful information from contributors on here, even though we’ve cruised with P&O for quite a few years. I think people are just keen for P&O to improve in some areas where it wouldn't be particularly difficult for them to do so. I remember only a few years ago on P&O that they wouldn’t let you choose a table for 2 for lunch if you wanted to - they insisted that you joined a large table. O.K. for some people, but not for us. Whereas now are much more flexible. So they are improving their customer service, but still a way to go!

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, terrierjohn said:

Until you experience the "can do" service that the RCI group passenger service teams provide then you  don't realise just how inferior P&O are.

Sorry misread the post so have deleted my original answer to this one.

Have used customer services on P&O (land) and Celebrity (on the ship) and both were excellent.

Edited by Presto2

59 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry misread the post so have deleted my original answer to this one.

Have used customer services on P&O (land) and Celebrity (on the ship) and both were excellent.

I agree that P&O land based customer services are very good as is their telephone booking service. Not used the customer services often but usually book direct by phone. A few years ago, we broke down on the way to Southampton and literally missed the boat, we were still near Oxford when it sailed. I could not fault customer services who were sympathetic, professional and the outcome was better than we had any right to expect. Not so good onboard but I do think they deserve more credit than they get on here. 

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I agree that P&O land based customer services are very good as is their telephone booking service. Not used the customer services often but usually book direct by phone. A few years ago, we broke down on the way to Southampton and literally missed the boat, we were still near Oxford when it sailed. I could not fault customer services who were sympathetic, professional and the outcome was better than we had any right to expect. Not so good onboard but I do think they deserve more credit than they get on here. 

I’m interested in what they did when you broke down and missed the departure?

4 minutes ago, arendale1 said:

I’m interested in what they did when you broke down and missed the departure?

Because we kept them informed of our progress (or lack of it), they offered to let us join the ship at first stop and transport us from the airport. As we are not great flyers (which is why we cruise), we declined the offer. They then offered us a decent sum off a future cruise (I don’t want to go into greater detail but it was very acceptable). Even though we declined the flight remedy, we got a call from the ship on day 2 of the cruise to confirm that they did not need to make transport arrangements from the airport for us. None of this was P&O’s fault but I do think they went more than the extra mile for us.

23 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Well I have found their telephone and email ceo service awful. 

I feel like they are not bothered about returning customers at all. All they seem to want is to mess you about and more money. 

I supose I am jaded though as when I have needed them to be helpful and be understand I have found them to be blaise about everything. Even going through ceo email and they are not bothered. 

27 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Because we kept them informed of our progress (or lack of it), they offered to let us join the ship at first stop and transport us from the airport. As we are not great flyers (which is why we cruise), we declined the offer. They then offered us a decent sum off a future cruise (I don’t want to go into greater detail but it was very acceptable). Even though we declined the flight remedy, we got a call from the ship on day 2 of the cruise to confirm that they did not need to make transport arrangements from the airport for us. None of this was P&O’s fault but I do think they went more than the extra mile for us.

That sounds like great customer service 👍

13 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Depends what section of Cunard they are rating if they say P&O is 3* then I would IMO say Britannia on Cunard is 4* Britannia Club 4.5* and Princess/Queens Grill 5*. Food in Britannia is a step up from on P&O and then again increasing to Queens which is excellent and justifies 5* for the superior food and service.

We sailed Club and agree 4.5*,it was excellent,but the poor buffet let it down.

13 hours ago, davecttr said:

Cities and Ice? I am on fire and Ice, also Iceland but £2660 for an outside single. Still, the booze is free and there are lots of dining options

Correct,we were going to do that one,even though it was from Newcastle and meant us flying back to UK in peak time for us.Then the other one popped up,perfect.Cheers,Brian.

Personally I think this thread is wandering a little off course. Wasn't the OP talking about Azura needing a refit? We have now been all over the place regarding Customer Services but if we are on that subject then I have found that it is the way you approach them. If you go in all guns blazing like a bull in a china shop you will get nowhere. It's the same with any CS anywhere, having worked in the industry for many years I am talking from experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Well I have found their telephone and email ceo service awful. 

I feel like they are not bothered about returning customers at all. All they seem to want is to mess you about and more money. 

I supose I am jaded though as when I have needed them to be helpful and be understand I have found them to be blaise about everything. Even going through ceo email and they are not bothered. 

To be honest if I was you I would steer clear of p&o,your impressions are now so bad if any minor thing goes wrong whilst on holiday it will spoil it for you.

29 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Personally I think this thread is wandering a little off course. Wasn't the OP talking about Azura needing a refit? We have now been all over the place regarding Customer Services but if we are on that subject then I have found that it is the way you approach them. If you go in all guns blazing like a bull in a china shop you will get nowhere. It's the same with any CS anywhere, having worked in the industry for many years I am talking from experience.

That's not my experience I am always polite whenever I need to contact any firm with any problem, whether major or  minor, and normally I enjoy a very friendly discussion and nearly always a very successful outcome.  The one major and regular exception is the onboard customer service staff at P&O.  My approach to them is always polite and friendly, but whenever it involves a difficult to resolve problem their response changes and they become defensive and unwilling even to pass my request higher up their chain of command.

My experiences on  RCI, Celebrity and to a lesser extent on Princess have been totally different, keen to help or to pass it up to senior mmanagement if they could not provide the answer themselves, and then lots of follow ups to make sure everything was now satisfactory.

Now if only P&O was like that.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That's not my experience I am always polite whenever I need to contact any firm with any problem, whether major or  minor, and normally I enjoy a very friendly discussion and nearly always a very successful outcome.  The one major and regular exception is the onboard customer service staff at P&O.  My approach to them is always polite and friendly, but whenever it involves a difficult to resolve problem their response changes and they become defensive and unwilling even to pass my request higher up their chain of command.

My experiences on  RCI, Celebrity and to a lesser extent on Princess have been totally different, keen to help or to pass it up to senior mmanagement if they could not provide the answer themselves, and then lots of follow ups to make sure everything was now satisfactory.

Now if only P&O was like that.

Do you have many complaints with p&o if so why keep going with them when you know you will have unresolved problems,personally I no longer fly with Delta my last reply to them was you keep your flights I will keep my money.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Do you have many complaints with p&o if so why keep going with them when you know you will have unresolved problems,personally I no longer fly with Delta my last reply to them was you keep your flights I will keep my money.

A typical personal and rather pointless post, which is in no way useful to other members of the forum, whereas I trust my experiences are helpful to other cruisers.

But to answer your question, yes there is nearly always something to discuss with passenger services during a cruise, generally a minor cabin issue but sometimes these can go unresolved and need escalating.

However as I have also said a P&O cruise is in general a very enjoyable and reasonably priced holiday, and the minor issues with passenger services whilst annoying, do not stop us from enjoying ourselves. 

Edited by terrierjohn

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

A typical personal and rather pointless post, which is in no way useful to other members of the forum, whereas I trust my experiences are helpful to other cruisers.

But to answer your question, yes there is nearly always something to discuss with passenger services during a cruise, generally a minor cabin issue but sometimes these can go unresolved and need escalating.

However as I have also said a P&O cruise is in general a very enjoyable and reasonably priced holiday, and the minor issues with passenger services whilst annoying, do not stop us from enjoying ourselves. 

Thank you for the second half of the post which was useful and answered my post now I know why you cruise with p&o,unlike the first half which did not answer my post but was rather condescending but each there own.

6 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

That is very true. The one time I had a serious complaint I wrote a polite letter though I didn't pull my punches in terms of what needed to be put right. I was very satisfied with the response from Customer Services and with the outcome.

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

I have had a few issues with P&O but unlike others I have had excellent customer service every time.

We have just come off Ventura after a back to back, may report later, but unfortunately we had no issues at all so I cannot give you an update, on customer service.

I have just concluded very satisfactorily dealing with a family bereavement on behalf of a relative regarding an upcoming cruise. At all times it was dealt with sympathetically with no problems and another relative was put on the booking at no cost, the original fare and OBC being transferred.   

2 hours ago, daiB said:

I have had a few issues with P&O but unlike others I have had excellent customer service every time.

We have just come off Ventura after a back to back, may report later, but unfortunately we had no issues at all so I cannot give you an update, on customer service.

Actually DaiB like you I fortunately have had no any on board issues with P&O...yet. I have had cause to deal with customer services and have found then excellent when I have. When my husband died they waived all fees to move and rebook as single fares our booked cruises more than once and contacted me so many times to ensure I was happy. I truly valued that.

Do I like their product well to a certain extent essentially restricted by my particular needs yes but I need to say that I am willing to buy in at a known price point and know that to tailor it to my needs I will have to pay £+++ extra. I am OK with that having carefully figured out other cruise lines offerings and my requirements and balancing the prices etc. BUT if once on board my shower didn't work, my loo overflowed etc you can be sure I would not be so happy and yes would be complaining to customer service. In over 30 cruises with P&O this has not happened but I am sure it could. 

I am an experienced customer service person so would never be taking a no guns blazing approach but if my text book directed approach did not realise results you can bet your bottom dollar that like the OP my cruise money would be going elsewhere and pretty damn quick. P&O is not the product it once was. There are many folks like me that enjoy it but for some, also like me. need to adjust their offering to make it work for them. While those tweaks work for me I will continue to book with them. If I experience problems on board like those of the OP that are not swiftly resolved then I will vote with my wallet and move elsewhere. 

On 4/2/2019 at 10:27 AM, docco said:

In a word, no. And we're cancelling three cruises we still have booked with them for the loss of the very minimal 5% deposit.

Problems can arise with any company. What marks P&O out as different is their refusal to do anything about problems when they happen.

Remember the 'Computer says no' sketches? That's the way they operate.

As outlined in our "P&Owe" topic we can relate to there "Computer says no" comment.  Having gone though the flood in our cabin, and the subsequent agreement of compensation we asked if the amount could be forwarded to a chartable organization of our choosing in the UK.  "Computer says no" even though the simple effort to do so would not only have prevented currency conversion charges but we're sure would have been appreciated by the recipient.  Customer Service wanted our banking information in order to depot the amount.  We supplied a voided cheque which gave them every item of information needed.  But "Computer says no".  So we had to then write out these very numbers and addresses and resubmit.  That was 40 days ago and our inquiry has been met with the comment that the person or persons were on holiday. Hope they are on the Azura.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:27 PM, docco said:

In a word, no. And we're cancelling three cruises we still have booked with them for the loss of the very minimal 5% deposit.

Problems can arise with any company. What marks P&O out as different is their refusal to do anything about problems when they happen.

Remember the 'Computer says no' sketches? That's the way they operate.

Have you tried any other Cruise Lines? We've only been on Celebrity, NCL and a mini cruise on Royal Caribbean. We have two booked with P&O. One next July on the Iona but one in Feb on the Azura to the Caribbean. 

I'm considering cancelling the one on Azura (£252 deposit, which we would loose) but I'd rather pay the little extra with Celebrity or NCL (which is about £500 more but include the drinks package)

Not sure what to do as we do like the look of the itinerary on the Azura one. At the end of the day, it won't be a cheap cruise...£5,900 (with upgraded flights and balcony cabin) but then there will be drinks and excursions, extra for speciality dining...so well over £6K