Marina Concierge Lounge question

LadyCruisers

If you are worried about slamming doors, I never noticed that happening.  (Not that I stayed near either of the lounges but when I entered the door did NOT slam behind me.  At least I didn't notice it doing that!)

Mura

On 3/31/2019 at 12:24 PM, Mura said:

If you are worried about slamming doors, I never noticed that happening.  (Not that I stayed near either of the lounges but when I entered the door did NOT slam behind me.  At least I didn't notice it doing that!)

Mura

I have had a cabin directly opposite the port side entrance of Marina's concierge lounge and there were times when you could hear the door slam shut...perhaps it was when someone pulled it hard to close it. We were also treated to loud conversations of people entering and exiting the lounge. If I ever book  that class of cabin on Marina or Riviera again I definitely will not pick that spot , but instead will make sure I'm at least a couple of doors away from the lounge entrance.

I thought they were glass doors that don't slam like the cabin ones do. 

I do agree with NJMan about the groups talking in the hallways etc. We were on the starboard side once in 9041. Definitely wouldn't pick that again. Not only is it real close to the starboard door, it is also by the laundry. I believe there is also a crew work area just aft of the laundry area. 

It started getting noisy early in the morning. 

46 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I though the Concierge lounge doors had the soft closer on them   unlike the cabin doors  that people cannot seem to hold onto so they close quietly

43 minutes ago, ORV said:

Yep, glass with a metal frame and hydraulic closers on them. Probably not the door you heard slamming. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/concierge-lounge-321170/concierge-lounge--v14124379/

I was there for 36 days...neither of you were, so please don't tell me what I heard. Sometimes hydraulic closers don't function as they're intended. Just like any mechanical mechanism they may need adjustment,  repair or even replacement. 

My cabin also had a problem with cigarette smoke leaking into the ventilation system... I suspect it had something to do with smoking lounge several decks above it in Horizons, but try as I did to get Oceania to fix it I got no satisfaction on that front .

Edited by njhorseman

Actually I was there for 26 days. Maybe not on the cruise you were but right there outside the lounge. 

Of course closers can be out of adjustment. 

FWIW, the CC lounge is on 9, the smoking lounge in Horizons is on 15. It's the only smoking lounge on the ship. You either had a direct pipeline for 5 decks or someone close to you was smoking on their balcony. But far be it from me to tell you what or where you smelled it from. 

16 minutes ago, ORV said:

Actually I was there for 26 days. Maybe not on the cruise you were but right there outside the lounge. 

Of course closers can be out of adjustment. 

FWIW, the CC lounge is on 9, the smoking lounge in Horizons is on 15. It's the only smoking lounge on the ship. You either had a direct pipeline for 5 decks or someone close to you was smoking on their balcony. But far be it from me to tell you what or where you smelled it from. 

Right...you weren't there on my cruise, so you weren't there when I heard it. 

The smoke doesn't require a direct pipeline. If there were a leak in the smoking lounge's exhaust system it could cause smoke to get drawn into the ventilation ducts.

And no, it wasn't anyone smoking outside, at least on a nearby balcony as best I, or anyone on the Oceania crew, could tell because there was no smoke odor outside on my balcony at the times I got it in the cabin. I called about it numerous times, and the concierge also spoke directly to the GM on my behalf in order to light a fire under someone to get the problem solved, but it never was.

And FWIW, since I was on the ship for 36 days just a bit over a year ago, and since I don't suffer from dementia or any other form of cognitive loss, I know exactly what deck my cabin was on and where Horizons is, so I don't appreciate your patronizing attitude.

Edited by njhorseman

Could not the "door slamming" that was heard have been from a neighboring cabins (and those doors DO slam if occupants aren't careful to close them quietly) rather than from the Lounge?  I haven't used the concierge lounge on the "O" ships much, I've used the "Executive" lounge more, but those doors are the same.  I certainly never heard the door slam behind me when I entered.  I would have done my best to eliminate the noise if I heard it.

Just asking.  I've never been in a nearby cabin for either lounge so can't speak from personal experience there.

We were on "R" ship cabins opposite the laundry rooms back in Renaissance days, and never heard a sound there until we opened our door.  Those are much older ships!  (So I'm not sure if those rooms are still as quiet as they were in 1999-2000.)

Mura

3 hours ago, Mura said:

Could not the "door slamming" that was heard have been from a neighboring cabins (and those doors DO slam if occupants aren't careful to close them quietly) rather than from the Lounge?  I haven't used the concierge lounge on the "O" ships much, I've used the "Executive" lounge more, but those doors are the same.  I certainly never heard the door slam behind me when I entered.  I would have done my best to eliminate the noise if I heard it.

Just asking.  I've never been in a nearby cabin for either lounge so can't speak from personal experience there.

We were on "R" ship cabins opposite the laundry rooms back in Renaissance days, and never heard a sound there until we opened our door.  Those are much older ships!  (So I'm not sure if those rooms are still as quiet as they were in 1999-2000.)

Mura

There was a problem with the door.  In thinking about it a bit more I remember that it wouldn't close all the way in its own and had to be pulled to close completely. It wasn't a cabin door slamming. It was a mechanical issue with  the lounge door.

Edited by njhorseman

I wasn't there when you were, so I was talking about my experience.  And MY experience was NOT being in a nearby cabin.  That's why I didn't respond to your earlier comment.

And given our recent travel experience I probably would not be near either one of the lounges, so I'm going to bow out of this discussion!

Mura

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 12:09 PM, njhorseman said:

I was there for 36 days...neither of you were, so please don't tell me what I heard. Sometimes hydraulic closers don't function as they're intended. Just like any mechanical mechanism they may need adjustment,  repair or even replacement. 

My cabin also had a problem with cigarette smoke leaking into the ventilation system... I suspect it had something to do with smoking lounge several decks above it in Horizons, but try as I did to get Oceania to fix it I got no satisfaction on that front .

I hope you reported these issues.  And followed up if you had no or inadequate response.  Went to corporate even when you got home.

On 4/2/2019 at 8:43 PM, Mura said:

I wasn't there when you were, so I was talking about my experience.  And MY experience was NOT being in a nearby cabin.  That's why I didn't respond to your earlier comment.

And given our recent travel experience I probably would not be near either one of the lounges, so I'm going to bow out of this discussion!

Mura

I think I'm glad we're in 9141 🙂  Plus hope to become BFF with our suite nabe a couple of doors down!

• 2 months later...