Coming from a Southerner...what type of bottoms to wear to Alaska in May?

PittsburghNative

Texan here, normal pants/jeans plus a set of thermal base layers should be fine.

Some people have been suggesting cargo pants, 5.11 makes some nice ones that are durable and also water resistant, if a bit pricier than most off-the-rack cargo pants.

https://www.511tactical.com/womens/womens-pants.html

The Wyldcat is a bit more normal looking if you don't want bulky pockets everywhere, my wife has them. The Mesa and Defender jean is also similar, but I haven't bought any of those for her yet.

Jolie and Abby tights both have pockets as well.

• Like 1

Worst-case weather would be rain while riding on a whale-watching craft at 20 knots with temps in the 40's.  The above rain suit would be perfect as an outer layer.  Since you already have a waterproof coat (hopefully with a hood) the above jacket would not be needed. 

Without the rain you may still need a second layer to protect from the wind chill.  Rain pants could be that layer or be carried in an excursion backpack until needed. 

If you have two layers without the rain pants, a large Frogg Toggs poncho that covers down to your ankles could be carried in your excursion backpack just in case.  Using a poncho in the rain will also keep your camera dry between photographs.

Just my two cents.

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

Worst-case weather would be rain while riding on a whale-watching craft at 20 knots with temps in the 40's.  The above rain suit would be perfect as an outer layer.  Since you already have a waterproof coat (hopefully with a hood) the above jacket would not be needed. 

Without the rain you may still need a second layer to protect from the wind chill.  Rain pants could be that layer or be carried in an excursion backpack until needed. 

If you have two layers without the rain pants, a large Frogg Toggs poncho that covers down to your ankles could be carried in your excursion backpack just in case.  Using a poncho in the rain will also keep your camera dry between photographs.

Just my two cents.

Thank you for your insight! I thought that I may be missing why this set would be important. I'll buy it and if I don't use it, I'll just return it.

On my last trip to Alaska I had a jacket with a removable fleece liner and a removable hood.  It was roomy enough to wear a sweatshirt underneath.  I wore jeans with it and my regular athletic shoes.  Honestly, that was plenty.  We did a small boat excursion to the glacier in Endicott Arm, the White Pass Railway/van tour to Emerald Lake and a whale watch boat tour and forest hike to Mendenhall.  We did not do dog sledding on a glacier or anything like that, but I think having more layers would have made us overdressed.  We plan for our cruise next month to take the same outerwear with us.  We will also have some gloves, a hat and scarf.  We are from Arizona and I get cold easily, but I don't see a big need for more unless I was hiking on a glacier.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

On my last trip to Alaska I had a jacket with a removable fleece liner and a removable hood.  It was roomy enough to wear a sweatshirt underneath.  I wore jeans with it and my regular athletic shoes.  Honestly, that was plenty.  We did a small boat excursion to the glacier in Endicott Arm, the White Pass Railway/van tour to Emerald Lake and a whale watch boat tour and forest hike to Mendenhall.  We did not do dog sledding on a glacier or anything like that, but I think having more layers would have made us overdressed.  We plan for our cruise next month to take the same outerwear with us.  We will also have some gloves, a hat and scarf.  We are from Arizona and I get cold easily, but I don't see a big need for more unless I was hiking on a glacier.

Agree with this completely.....Some seem to overthink Alaska weather and definitely overpack. We made that mistake on our first trip there...never again.

I live in rainy Seattle and I spend 2+ hours per workday on the playground.  I have been to Alaska 11 times.  I do not own rain pants and have never felt the need for them.  I do own a good waterproof rain jacket with a hood, quick-dry hiking pants, and waterproof hiking shoes (not boots). My theory is that you should not spend a lot of money on things that you may not need and likely will never use again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I have been to Alaska a ton and don't own waterproof pants. Probably never will.

I wouldn’t buy them if it wasn’t for the dogsledding tour. I have a feeling it’s best to buy a pair because I would hate to wear jeans and for them to get super wet...it would make the experience not so fun.

I’m from TX and don’t know a thing about cold weather gear. That said, I bought these, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J313HKL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

I’ve  already worn them a couple of times at the hunting ranch during a cold spell. 

Our cruise is in September, so it might be a bit colder then.

On 4/14/2019 at 2:23 PM, Coral said:

What a cool job you have!

Thanks!  A lot of people think I'm crazy, but I do enjoy it.  I spend most of the rest of my day working in the resource center working with special ed students.  I like the balance in my day.  Some days the weather can be miserable, but other days are gorgeous and I get to spend time in the sunshine.  Overall, it's a very rewarding job!

• Like 2

We are from SoCal and have rain gear.... waterproof hiking columbia boots, rain jacket and rain pants. Comes in handy when we run down to San Diego for whale watching or for when it decides to rain and you have kids to get in and out of the car and do not want to get soaked 😉 We will bring our winter jackets, that we would use if we were to go to the snow here. (Did not make it this season). We each have a thermal shirt and then gloves, hat and scarf. I will bring more leggings and then jogger sweats that can go over those for another layer if needed. I only have one good pair of fleeced lined leggings and those are for sure going whale watching with me 😉 in Alaska. Besides that, everything else will be what we normally wear here. Although I will need to pack some fuzzy socks for if my feet get cold in the room as they do not warm fast hahaha 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 9:17 AM, Hoyaheel said:

I don't travel with jeans, anywhere. Denim isn't flexible enough for my personal dress code and when it gets wet (rain, or if I'm doing laundry) it takes far too long to dry. I'm a big fan of a black pant. Have oodles 😉 My last AK cruise (Sept 2018) I brought 2 pr for "ports" (including taking zodiacs up to glaciers and just regular roaming around) - Costco "travel" pant and an Eddie Bauer trail pant. Both wicking/quick dry. 

I have a pair of goretex waterproof overpants I got from the LLBEan outlet ages ago. I brought them to Alaska in 2007. Only time I wore them was when I was doing laundry and everything else was unavailable 😉 So I haven't used them for travel since - It's unlikely I'll be spending 8 hrs out in the rain, so I don't need the full goretex pant - the eddie bauer trail pant was perfect for my needs and that sort of thing is more multi-use for travel for me.

I also travel with silk long underwear bottoms if there's a possibility it could be cold enough to require their use (then I use as loungewear in the cabin too). They pack up super teeny. Fleece lined tights also work. 

What are these Costco travel pants? Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Hope89 said:

What are these Costco travel pants? Thanks! 

The last time I checked the COSTCO travel pants are also called "Trek Pants".  They are made with quick-drying material with zippered back pockets as well as a zippered cargo pocket.

11 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The last time I checked the COSTCO travel pants are also called "Trek Pants".  They are made with quick-drying material with zippered back pockets as well as a zippered cargo pocket.

Great, these are cheaper than the other ones I have seen. I love Costco!  Going to buy a pair for my husband. Unfortunately they don’t have women’s. Thank you. 

I have several pairs of pants from Costco - some are 32 Degrees brand, some are Kirkland (Costco store brand). This year they've even had some from Eddie Bauer as well. I have ankle length, full length, capris etc. So, many options over many years, not just one pair ;-) And yes, I've bought wicking pants & shorts for my husband at Costco as well.

Being Costco, you just have to keep your eyes out - never know when they'll come into the warehouse or be online! (FYI new coupon book comes out for May 22 I think, so there might be new options at that time....)

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 1:38 PM, PittsburghNative said:

I’m loving the tips and advice! Thanks all for your suggestions.

For excursion days, I would suggest leggings and also some sort of trekking, hiking, day pant from the likes of Athleta, REI, Northface, etc.  They are good to wear over leggings as an extra layer, are somewhat water resistant and if they do get wet dry fairly quickly.  Also more breathable and easier to move around in the jeans.  I got a black pair from Athleta last year for our 11 day trip to Alaska and wore them several times.  It will also depend what you have planned for excursions as well.