Hairdresser

Floridiana

In the past, I had my hair cut on cruises (various lines) and the result was always better than in my rural home county. On my last cruise, the hairdresser was used to long Asian hair and did not have the skills necessary to cut short European hair into an elegant style.

My questions: Where did the hairdressers on your recent Azamara cruises get their training? Europe, Australia, South Africa with a refresher course in London? Ladies, were you happy with your hair cut?

My most recent two visits (one Pursuit, one Journey) had two gentleman, one trained in India the other Mauritius, neither had had any refresher and both were very set in their ways and not really able to adapt to current western styles (I have long hair).  I did not however have hair cuts, both were wash and blow and based on the result, I would never have a cut or colour onboard ship.  My rural hairdresser here is lightyears ahead of them.

I color my own hair. As far as cuts never  trust them. These girls R trained or not trained. By Steiner in England. Once in a while I get a good person from Steiner but not on AZ

Edited by ellbon

I have had Keratin express treatments on AZ, Celebrity and RCCL. Some were better than others but they all did the job! I also have blow drys onboard and have been pleased with them for the most part. I am very particular with my hair, have done hair modeling in the past and have very wavy chin length hair which is not easy to blow dry straight in a bob but they do it fine for the most part.

i would never let them do a color or cut. Only my hairdresser does those things.

When I was on the Azamara Journey last year (102 day World Journey) I needed a hair cut mid way. I had not heard very good comments about hair cutting on board so I decided to try a hairdresser in Cannes, France. A great experience and a super hair cut. I think you will find on land hairdressers better qualified in all aspects of hair management than onboard. Use google to find a hairdresser near one the ports on your cruise and take some 'me' time to get your hair cut. I actually managed to book an appointment online so did not have to wait when I arrived at the salon. By the way, my hair is very short too.

Good luck.

Jeanette

Edited by maygrovecruisers
Added - I have short hair.

18 hours ago, Floridiana said:

Mediocre haircut on the ship or at home … what a choice. 😉

Home home home if the ship is your only alternative.  At least you can go back to them and get any fixes needed if the cut is not right once you hair grows in a few weeks.  Also I would expect you will pay a fraction of the price at home.  Jeanette is right though if you are on a long trip and have time in port that is another option.  I did it during an overnight in Singapore and the experience was fantastic - and that was just in a fairly ordinary place in the Mall where the ship docked.  

What I really hate is how critical the staff onboard are of your current hair condition and cut.  Condition is just a scam to get you to buy products (always resist that one they are charging 3-4 times the price for buying the same product ashore, so if you like the product just take its name.) Cut is often because they are not experienced with working with a cut done the way yours has been done.  My hairdresser is home based as she is a young Mum but she was a national award winner when she worked in the salon I used so I stayed with her when she started from home.  In Singapore, staff commented on the amazing shape of the cut and brought trainees to see how it was done, (I was only having a wash and blow)  three weeks later onboard, the Indian gentleman asked me who cut my hair as it wasn't right at all and could he put it right (no no no!!!)

55 minutes ago, uktog said:

I did it during an overnight in Singapore and the experience was fantastic - and that was just in a fairly ordinary place in the Mall where the ship docked.  

That is wonderful. I will try that in 2021.  Germany and Austria are options this summer, but in the meantime … no national award winners in my neck of the woods. I wonder what happened with recruiting in countries where they learn first rate cutting techniques? I used to have wonderful results on ships with hair dressers from South Africa, Europe, and Australia. 

I will put this bluntly. AZ ..which I love..does not get the best of Steiner. I am on Crystal now. Had my hair colored three times and  some layers added. It looks great. Also they have better luck with nails too. This cruise line uses Steiner also.

i believe Steiner sends the newbies to AZ but people who know what they are doing come here. Also they come back here. AZ rarely get a Steiner person twice

I agree about having hair done on land especially in France. I do not blow dry my hair ever when I am on vacation and although it is very thick and wavy, I wear it in a straight bob. It takes me over an hour to blow dry at home even with Keratin and even then it is never as straight and silky as when the hairdresser does it. I am in Paris right now and have gone to the same hairdresser here for several years every time I come. She has trimmed my bangs and does a great job but thats all I will let her do except for a wash and blow dry. It is expensive but well worth saving the time and hassle to look good. The French really appreciate it when you have great hair and they love to do it. But the cost in my experience is not any cheaper than when I have mine done in Beverly Hills.

believe it or not the best Steiner hairdressers I have had by far are on Royal Caribbean and the worst on Azamara.

Last year on Journey I did get a hair cut, as I was too busy at work to take the time for a cut before I boarded Journey.  I booked in with a guy and was pleased with the result, not the best hair cut I have ever had but definitely not the worst either.  I booked in on a sea day and the experience was non rushed and pleasant.  There was no hard sell of products, so all in all a good experience, not great but good.