Specialty dining gratuity

• Clarea changed the title to Specialty dining gratuity

When booking the UDP in cruise planner, If you expand the charge details it lists the service charge as “INCLUDED”.  So no 18% added to the package price and that implies that tip is included.  Service has always been excellent ( so far) so we add something extra anyway.

• Like 2

Although a tip is included, I have no idea what the amount of that tip is, so we tip a minimum of $10 per person for dinner and $5 per person for lunch when we use the UDP.    It's definitely worth it as far as we are concerned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We were told by our waiter in Jamie's that what is included is a service charge.  The waiter gets about $3.00, any extra tip that is left goes directly to them. 

Ugh.  That is not enough, and I feel bad now that we didn’t tip more.  Next time I get a specialty package, I will tip so much more in person!!

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:17 PM, zoepipes said:

Are you spared the 18% service charge on specialty dining (either individually or in a group package) if purchased prior to sailing?

No, you are not 'spared the 18% service charge', you have already paid it within the total already paid, so you are all covered unless you want to give more than the 18%.

I purchased a BOGO 2 Night Dining Package and the order details shows:

* Service Charge          INCLUDED

.So am happy to know I have given a tip and know I can give more if I want but it is not necessary. 

Edited by laslomas
formatting problems, can't clear it!!

48 minutes ago, Marbel69 said:

when do you tip?  at end of the cruise or during dining

At the end of each dining so one doesn't have to search out later the actual waiter who served them.

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 1

It was my understanding that the "tip" (service charge?) was included when the packages or dinners were purchased prior to sailing, however, I thought I had heard someone say that if you purchased the dinner onboard, not in advance, an additional 18% was added to your check - the prices could be the same (pre-sailing or onboard), but an additional 18% was being tacked on if purchased onboard.  I was trying to figure out if there is an advantage to purchasing in advance.  And, yes, regardless, we do tip cash in addition to any service charge automatically billed. . .

32 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

It was my understanding that the "tip" (service charge?) was included when the packages or dinners were purchased prior to sailing, however, I thought I had heard someone say that if you purchased the dinner onboard, not in advance, an additional 18% was added to your check - the prices could be the same (pre-sailing or onboard), but an additional 18% was being tacked on if purchased onboard.  I was trying to figure out if there is an advantage to purchasing in advance.  And, yes, regardless, we do tip cash in addition to any service charge automatically billed. . .

Correct, so far (and I don't expect this to last) Royal has not been adding the 18% to pre-cruise dining purchases.

3 hours ago, laslomas said:

No, you are not 'spared the 18% service charge', you have already paid it within the total already paid, so you are all covered unless you want to give more than the 18%.

I purchased a BOGO 2 Night Dining Package and the order details shows:

* Service Charge          INCLUDED

.So am happy to know I have given a tip and know I can give more if I want but it is not necessary. 

How do you know the tip is 18%?  No where does it say the amount, which was my point a few posts ago.  

1 hour ago, katiel53 said:

How do you know the tip is 18%?  No where does it say the amount, which was my point a few posts ago.  

According to the UK website FAQs:

"An 18% service charge is also automatically added to beverages and beverage packages, mini-bar items, spa & salon purchases as well as specialty dining products, including packages, classes and brunches."

So I assume that as my order was purchased before sailing and shows as service charge included it will be 18%. It may be different for U.S. customers, but in the U.K. the price you are charged for an item is always the gross amount to include any taxes or add-ons. 

I believe that once on board it is sold as a package or meal without service charge. I hope that once in the restaurant the staff are aware of each diners situation, otherwise some of us may be seen as very bad tippers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, laslomas said:

According to the UK website FAQs:

"An 18% service charge is also automatically added to beverages and beverage packages, mini-bar items, spa & salon purchases as well as specialty dining products, including packages, classes and brunches."

So I assume that as my order was purchased before sailing and shows as service charge included it will be 18%. It may be different for U.S. customers, but in the U.K. the price you are charged for an item is always the gross amount to include any taxes or add-ons. 

I believe that once on board it is sold as a package or meal without service charge. I hope that once in the restaurant the staff are aware of each diners situation, otherwise some of us may be seen as very bad tippers.

In the US, our package price just states that a service charge is included, but no amount, so there is no way to know if it is 18%.  For purchases online before the cruise a dinner at a specialty restaurant doesn't add the 18%, but if booked onboard, an 18% gratuity is assessed.  As I stated, I really don't know the amount and based on what some people have stated.  I doubt we will ever really know.

1 hour ago, katiel53 said:

In the US, our package price just states that a service charge is included, but no amount, so there is no way to know if it is 18%.  For purchases online before the cruise a dinner at a specialty restaurant doesn't add the 18%, but if booked onboard, an 18% gratuity is assessed.  As I stated, I really don't know the amount and based on what some people have stated.  I doubt we will ever really know.

We use the speciality restaurants regularly and I always give our waiter at least $10 cash tip regardless if a service charge is included or not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Big difference between Service Charge and tip. Specialty waiters get a few dollars from the service charge, the rest goes into the ship tip pool. Anything you leave for the waiter goes and stays with him or her.  

Whether it says Service charge or gratuities included the service we receive deserves at least a $10 cash tip.