Crab legs on board?

takemeaway2008

1 minute ago, Guindalf said:

How do you know? Did someone tell you that or did you see them unloaded on the dock?

Remember, crew members can lie - it wouldn't be the first time!

It's just like the premium 'freshly squeezed' orange juice is NOT squeezed on the ship but brought on pre-squeezed!

We were on a culinary cruise and Chef Sam Hazen saw them being loaded on the dock. He said they loaded lots of fresh mussels and they looked very good.

• Like 1

MDR lobster is almost always of the warm water Caribbean type is is rarely cooked right - it's usually overcooked, dry and rubbery.

It's possible that the Maine Lobster you saw was for the specialty dining rooms. I do remember reading that there was special USDA permission for ships to take on live Maine lobster when docked there.

On 4/6/2019 at 1:37 AM, takemeaway2008 said:

A funny title.... 

I love eating crab legs. Will there be crab legs at dinner or in one of the restaurants one night or do I need to book an excursion/find an onshore restaurant to indulge in some Alaskan crab? 

Thanks. 

I’ve had king crab legs on the ship, at the specialty restaurants, but they were quite small in diameter. Definitely nothing to brag about. As for having them in ports in Alaska, sure, I’ve done that too. It’s over priced for sure in the ports. They were very good, but I was surprised that there was absolutely no difference in taste, compared to the ones you buy in a 10lb box at Costco. Plus Costco is cheaper. But for the thrill of saying you had King Crab Legs in Alaska, then go for it. You’ll enjoy it for sure.

Edited by rick160158

4 hours ago, rick160158 said:

I’ve had king crab legs on the ship, at the specialty restaurants, but they were quite small in diameter. Definitely nothing to brag about. As for having them in ports in Alaska, sure, I’ve done that too. It’s over priced for sure in the ports. They were very good, but I was surprised that there was absolutely no difference in taste, compared to the ones you buy in a 10lb box at Costco. Plus Costco is cheaper. But for the thrill of saying you had King Crab Legs in Alaska, then go for it. You’ll enjoy it for sure.

You can’t compare the cost of a bulk item at Cosco to what a restaurant is charging; apples and oranges. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We had crab legs on the seafood tower on Edge and had this lunch offered on the Infinity this week in Tuscan:

930D83E6-E884-4CED-BF06-7E35D823F071.thumb.jpeg.efd0082264bf1320d44686ab53d1808d.jpeg

We had this same offer on the Infinity in December for Tuscan Grill on our final sea day. It was great!

7 minutes ago, Greenymac said:

We had this same offer on the Infinity in December for Tuscan Grill on our final sea day. It was great!

We didn't do it - there were other activities going on at that time, but it did look good! 🙂

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We didn't do it - there were other activities going on at that time, but it did look good! 🙂

That last sea day was VERY Rocky.... With the way the ship was swaying believe it or not the ship was pretty quiet until it calmed down a bit later in the afternoon