Crab legs on board?

takemeaway2008

1 hour ago, takemeaway2008 said:

A funny title.... 

I love eating crab legs. Will there be crab legs at dinner or in one of the restaurants one night or do I need to book an excursion/find an onshore restaurant to indulge in some Alaskan crab? 

Thanks. 

No matter if they have them on board.  You will be much better off indulging in the real Alaskan crab legs at one of your port stops.  A few years ago we had great fresh crab legs at a stand at Icy Strait Point.

24 minutes ago, takemeaway2008 said:

Darn. I didn't think so but I thought I would ask. It's too bad that can't do regional fresh food once in awhile. 

They have used regional foods on some of the cruises. I remember Empanadas in Argentina and Jambalaya in New Orleans. 

I would follow Tee Rick's advice and get them in port.

Edited by Orator

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

You can always hope. On our last cruise, there were mussels in the buffet. They were wonderful. 

IMG_20181217_135918.jpg

We had those last April on Eclipse - delish!  Hope we have them again in a few weeks.

Edited by mek

Three years ago on a trans-pacific aboard the Millie they had king crab legs one night. It was a special event in one of the specialty restaurants (don't recall which one) and they were the best crab legs ever,  So there is always a chance.

• Like 1

In 15 cruises, I have seen crab legs only once, on Princess during a Panama Canal cruise!   We were in Alaska on X in 2003 and never saw crab legs when everyone said that was the place to get them.

1 hour ago, WAVTAM said:

Try Viking Ocean.  Crab legs and big shrimp EVERY night in the buffet, with wine...all free

Nothing is free. If you want to pay the same price, you can eat at every port and special restaurant on ship.

It's just sad that ALL fish and seafood served on board any ship is frozen! This is, apparently, for health and safety reasons and why you can't usually bring back your catch from a fishing excursion.

Edited by Guindalf

1 hour ago, Guindalf said:

It's just sad that ALL fish and seafood served on board any ship is frozen! This is, apparently, for health and safety reasons and why you can't usually bring back your catch from a fishing excursion.

The mussels on our last cruise were brought on fresh. 

How do you know? Did someone tell you that or did you see them unloaded on the dock?

Remember, crew members can lie - it wouldn't be the first time!

It's just like the premium 'freshly squeezed' orange juice is NOT squeezed on the ship but brought on pre-squeezed!

Never seen crab legs on any of our cruises. On a New England/Canada cruise two years ago, Summit brought on fresh lobster in Bar Harbor, Maine. We saw the Executive Chef inspecting the boxes of them as we disembarked. We didn't dine in the MDR that night so we can't offer a direct critique, but everyone I heard talking about dinner the next day said the lobster was sad. We had lobster rolls for lunch in Bar Harbor and they were amazing. You never can tell.