Plastic Straws are Gone..... But Wait....

BirdTravels

NCL and other cruise lines have stopped giving out plastic straws to help reduce the environmental impact of cruise ships. 

Paper straws from the past.... just don’t cut it. 

But wait....

You can be the owner of an official collapsible NCL stainless steel straw. It folds into a convenient carrying case that clips to your belt.

Available now on a NCL gift shop near you!

6F24CEEF-AD5A-4B5C-A520-565258D433ED.jpeg

F185DACF-02DE-4718-972F-FAE62916C4E6.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Two Wheels Only said:

"Part of the proceeds will be donated to clean our oceans"

Will CC members now argue about how much of the proceeds go where like they argue about where the gratuity/service charges go? 😏

I’m sure!

Now, that is a good idea. A good thing from NCL for a change. 8 bucks is a bit steep but if some goes to help clean oceans, it is good.

I hope all cruise lines, restaurants etc  follow suite

Edited by pete_coach
added
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WickedRed said:

And the plastic each one of those items is encased with is better for the environment?  Any one else see the irony here?

The case isn't  "one time use" like the plastic straws. It also is unlikely to blow overboard....unless Escape lists again. 

• Like 1

Just now, Two Wheels Only said:

The case isn't  "one time use" like the plastic straws. It also is unlikely to blow overboard....unless Escape lists again. 

No, but the plastic holding it to the cardboard backer is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WickedRed said:

No, but the plastic holding it to the cardboard backer is.

Depending on which type of plastic that it is, that may be able to be recycled. Straws are more difficult to recycle because they cause problems with the recycling equipment. 

OMG 🙄

"...we use over 500 million every day in America, and most of those end up in our oceans..."

MOST end up in the oceans? How exactly?  

Assuming that there are over 500 million straws used in America each and every day. Considering how much of America isn't even within sight of an ocean, just how on earth would MOST of them even get to the ocean? I guess all of the inland states must be trucking their straws directly to the ocean.

Also...if MOST of the over 500 million straws used in America each and every day (on top of those used by the rest of the planet), wouldn't we be seeing all of these straws floating around in the water? I can't recall going to the beach or entering the water and thinking (or hearing other people say) "Wow. Just look at all of the straws in the water...you can barely walk without hitting straws".

I can understand why the companies jumped on this bandwagon...they saw this as an excuse to save money by eliminating straws...period. But I can't understand why intelligent adults are fooled by this. MOST of them in the ocean? Amazing that we aren't seeing photos of the straw infested water surrounding our cruise ships...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

OMG 🙄

"...we use over 500 million every day in America, and most of those end up in our oceans..."

MOST end up in the oceans? How exactly?  

Assuming that there are over 500 million straws used in America each and every day. Considering how much of America isn't even within sight of an ocean, just how on earth would MOST of them even get to the ocean? I guess all of the inland states must be trucking their straws directly to the ocean.

Also...if MOST of the over 500 million straws used in America each and every day (on top of those used by the rest of the planet), wouldn't we be seeing all of these straws floating around in the water? I can't recall going to the beach or entering the water and thinking (or hearing other people say) "Wow. Just look at all of the straws in the water...you can barely walk without hitting straws".

I can understand why the companies jumped on this bandwagon...they saw this as an excuse to save money by eliminating straws...period. But I can't understand why intelligent adults are fooled by this. MOST of them in the ocean? Amazing that we aren't seeing photos of the straw infested water surrounding our cruise ships...

This is awesome. 🙂 Still laughing...!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, willsears94 said:

Ya..... no. 

I will just bring a 100 pack of plastic straws from the dollar store. Then I will sell each straw for a $1 to the first-timers 😂🤣

You don't add the 20% gratuity charge?  According to another thread, even if the charge is $1 Cagneys would add the gratuity.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rpb718 said:

You don't add the 20% gratuity charge?  According to another thread, even if the charge is $1 Cagneys would add the gratuity.

Not a bad idea! I'll do that also, along with charging sales tax within US port!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1