Formal night in Europe

vacation cruiser

I have observed that on cruises that begin in  European ports, there are quite a few European passengers sailing, and the European cruisers seem to get more dressed up for dinner than what a lot of American cruisers do, both on formal nights and on "resort casual" nights. We plan accordingly and pack more of the type of clothes for the dining room that, if at home and going out to a nicer than average restaurant, would be appropriate.

But that's just us.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wheezedr said:

While the Princess guidelines do not change, the cruisers on European voyages tend to dress more formally than those on places like Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean.  

Thanks for sharing good to know.

Tony

2 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Gosh, Tony, you always wear a tuxedo on formal nights anyway no matter where you're cruising.  :classic_laugh:

You right LuLu. I always do and always will. Now don’t forget you still owe me a dance 😁 😁😁

Tony

2BBA1BFF-7719-4D7D-B54D-390D24DF96E1.jpeg

• Like 5

We are sailing on the Regal Baltic Cruise in August and the responses that I’m reading here are consistent with my supposition that the passengers on European cruises would dress a little more formally.  That’s fine with us.  We enjoy dressing up for formal night and are always in the “Smart Casual” range on other nights.  Even on the Caribbean cruise that we just finished there was a definite attempt on the part of the majority of passengers who ate in the MDRs to be a little more festive in their dress on formal nights.  

• Like 1

It's a personal choice. However having said that, ex Southampton cruises tend to have a larger percentage of UK cruisers, and  the Brits do still tend to "dress for dinner". Having said that, any smart dress you would wear for a smart restaurant at home, suffices. Tuxs do seem more prevalent on Southampton cruises on formal night. 

• Like 1