Streaming HBO on Horizon

Hogs1985

I will be on the Horizon during May and was wondering if I can stream HBO since I am a huge Game of Thrones fan.  I have already purchased the premium internet plan so hopefully that will help.  I plan on streaming thru my provider Spectrum.  TIA

On the Horizon now and just watched the trailer for Season 8 on HBO Go app on my iPhone. We have the best WiFi plan. Not sure if it will work on the 14th when a lot of people will be trying to stream it. May have to wait until late at night or super early in the morning. 

Saint Greg was streaming YouTube on the Vista, which has the same wifi as Horizon. Officially, Carnival says the only video streaming they support on Vista and Horizon is Netflix. But we know for sure YouTube works, so it's possible for others, too. Since Gettys84 successfully used the HBO Go app, it looks like that one works. I've read that people have used FaceTime, even though Carnival clearly states it's not supported. I think they do that just to cover their rears in case people experience problems with some of these services. That way they can just say it's not supported.

sometimes when we are out of the country some U.S. websites are blocked, not Carnival, it's the company. I use a VPN, they are free and safe. They mask where you are logging on from. I use it for Fan Duel which is blocked outside the U.S

4 hours ago, Gettys84 said:

On the Horizon now and just watched the trailer for Season 8 on HBO Go app on my iPhone. We have the best WiFi plan. Not sure if it will work on the 14th when a lot of people will be trying to stream it. May have to wait until late at night or super early in the morning. 

Thanks for all the replies.  The early morning part works great for me so I am going to give it a try then when most people will be sleeping.

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

Officially, Carnival says the only video streaming they support on Vista and Horizon is Netflix.

When I reviewing the packages they all said no streaming services and mentioned Netflix by name if I remember right, this was just last month. Has this changed or am I just crazy?

5 minutes ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

When I reviewing the packages they all said no streaming services and mentioned Netflix by name if I remember right, this was just last month. Has this changed or am I just crazy?

They officially support Netflix streaming on board the Vista and Horizon only. And only if you purchase the Premium plan. But even though they say other services aren't supported, some of them do work.

Unless the speed has changed a lot streaming is not possible.  I have purchased the premium plan before and had no luck with streaming video or audio of a football game I was interested in.  It worked a little earlier on embarkation day and I thought it would be good at game time.  However, later in the day when others were using the internet, it wouldn't work at all.

Edited by Lee Cruiser

27 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Unless the speed has changed a lot streaming is not possible.  I have purchased the premium plan before and had no luck with streaming video or audio of a football game I was interested in.  It worked a little earlier on embarkation day and I thought it would be good at game time.  However, later in the day when others were using the internet, it wouldn't work at all.

When was this and what ship(s)? The wifi speeds on Vista & Horizon are greatly improved. And they're upgrading the rest of the fleet (not sure if that's been completed). User Saint Greg on this forum was on the Vista not long ago and said he was able to stream YouTube videos almost anywhere he went. He's even posted a picture of a video playing. "Picture of a video"... yeah I realize how that sounds. LOL As I said in my previous post, Carnival even fully supports Netflix on the Vista & Horizon with the Premium plan.

37 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

When was this and what ship(s)? The wifi speeds on Vista & Horizon are greatly improved. And they're upgrading the rest of the fleet (not sure if that's been completed). User Saint Greg on this forum was on the Vista not long ago and said he was able to stream YouTube videos almost anywhere he went. He's even posted a picture of a video playing. "Picture of a video"... yeah I realize how that sounds. LOL As I said in my previous post, Carnival even fully supports Netflix on the Vista & Horizon with the Premium plan.

Last year on the Sunshine.  Had similar experiences on Conquest and Magic.  Haven't done the premium plan on our other cruises.  Decided to try it again this year on the Breeze to see if it will work with Skype as it claims it will.

if they are using Medallion like Princess, speeds have been recorded north of 5 Mb, which is as fast as LITE.

On the Conquest I could barely get whetsmyspeed to even register.

Edited by coevan

2 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Last year on the Sunshine.  Had similar experiences on Conquest and Magic.  Haven't done the premium plan on our other cruises.  Decided to try it again this year on the Breeze to see if it will work with Skype as it claims it will.

We were on the Glory last June. HORRIBLE wifi, but it hadn't been upgraded yet. You should see big improvements the next time you go.

Below is an image posted by user Gettys84 yesterday. He's currently on the Horizon. He said this speed test was performed on his balcony.

image.png.e808a27c2549516e3c38eee7fcd9406f.png

16 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

We were on the Glory last June. HORRIBLE wifi, but it hadn't been upgraded yet. You should see big improvements the next time you go.

Below is an image posted by user Gettys84 yesterday. He's currently on the Horizon. He said this speed test was performed on his balcony.

image.png.e808a27c2549516e3c38eee7fcd9406f.png

I hope so.  I'm on the Breeze later this month.  Hopefully it will be much more like this and not like last year.

11 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I hope so.  I'm on the Breeze later this month.  Hopefully it will be much more like this and not like last year.

I wish they would post what ships have been upgraded. FaceTime works perfect on the Horizon. 

11 minutes ago, Gettys84 said:

I wish they would post what ships have been upgraded. FaceTime works perfect on the Horizon. 

Hope you don't mind me borrowing your speed test image. I made sure to credit you. 😀

This is what the Carnival FAQ's say about wifi service. To me, it implies that they've upgraded the whole fleet, but I don't know: "We have upgraded our communications technology to the latest, state of the art systems and guests now have access to much faster speeds at an affordable price!"

4 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Hope you don't mind me borrowing your speed test image. I made sure to credit you. 😀

This is what the Carnival FAQ's say about wifi service. To me, it implies that they've upgraded the whole fleet, but I don't know: "We have upgraded our communications technology to the latest, state of the art systems and guests now have access to much faster speeds at an affordable price!"

No problem at all.  Thanks for the credit.  Just ran another speed test sitting on my balcony.  Speed test on my iPad. 

7FD8C7A0-CCD7-43D0-982F-FEE4FC030809.png

5 minutes ago, coevan said:

I could stream my Slingbox with that speed. 

Just tried using the directv app. NOT direct now.  Was able to stream espn.  It wont let me see local channels as normal. I guess it noes my location so turns them off.  Hulu will NOT connect.  I have a Hulu live login but wont connect.  Netflix works also. 

84DFD6D3-514F-4B63-AACC-F29A40B3C320.png

3DD6854C-2816-4E2A-A428-B4C1B9BC1B48.png