US INDEPENDANCE DAY ABOARD OCEANIA

FoxtrotTango

Hello All!

So, I've seen the recent posts about Thanksgiving on Oceania and it set me wondering: we will be aboard Regatta on the 4th July this year (in US waters) - are there likely to be any special celebrations?

Additionally: we are British and have never been in the US for Independence Day...this year we are due to be in Skagway, Alaska - are most shops, museums, etc., likely to be open?

Any information will be much appreciated!

Regards,

Fiona & Kathryn

Good question!  I've never been on board on July 4th and normally I would NOT expect them to do anything special.  But if you will be in U.S. waters, then they might.  It could also depend on WHERE you will be in the U.S.  If in a revolutionary war site, perhaps it's more more likely that something might be done.  If it's a port day, Currents might make some suggestions.

In the lower 48 most businesses are closed on the holiday.  Museums?  I just checked the Metropolitan in NYC and they don't mention being closed on that holiday.  It may depend on what day of the week July 4th occurs.  This year the 4th occurs on a Thursday so I'm guessing that museums and the like will be open.  Government facilities will be closed.

A good question to google!

Mura

Hmm.  I guess Skagway does NOT qualify as a revolutionary war site!!

Edited by Mura

1 hour ago, Mura said:

Good question!  I've never been on board on July 4th and normally I would NOT expect them to do anything special.  But if you will be in U.S. waters, then they might.  It could also depend on WHERE you will be in the U.S.  If in a revolutionary war site, perhaps it's more more likely that something might be done.  If it's a port day, Currents might make some suggestions.

In the lower 48 most businesses are closed on the holiday.  Museums?  I just checked the Metropolitan in NYC and they don't mention being closed on that holiday.  It may depend on what day of the week July 4th occurs.  This year the 4th occurs on a Thursday so I'm guessing that museums and the like will be open.  Government facilities will be closed.

A good question to google!

Mura

Hmm.  I guess Skagway does NOT qualify as a revolutionary war site!!

We have been in small cities in Alaska during the 4th of July twice in our cruising "career" and found that all businesses that tourists would be interested in visiting were open as usual. One year in Sitka we witnessed a very cute 4th of July parade. Likely you will see patriotic decorations in the towns. 

Edited by edgee
clarity

28 minutes ago, edgee said:

and found that all businesses that tourists would be interested in visiting were open as usual.

That makes sense as their season is very short and the winters are very long.

We have been on board Oceania several times on the 4th of July.  We have been surprised that there was no effort to celebrate the event, even though most of the passengers were U. S. citizens.  We do not expect a full blown Christmas style holiday, but a few tokens would have been nice.  

That said, we will be on board the cruise line again this 4th of July.  We will bring our own decorations.

• Like 1

We have been aboard O on 7/4 and O treats it like any other day.

we spent 7/4 in Juneau, the State Capital once. They had a very small cute parade and then fireworks. However, since it stays light so long that time of year, the parade started at 11:30 pm, followed by the fire works at 12:30 am ! My wife chose to sleep through it all and I fought a 2-3 hour time difference to stay up and watch it. Most cruise ships are well at sea during those hours with the cruisers tucked soundly in bed. I doubt many would stay up on the hope of catching a small fireworks display!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mcgilldj said:

We have been on board Oceania several times on the 4th of July.  We have been surprised that there was no effort to celebrate the event, even though most of the passengers were U. S. citizens.  We do not expect a full blown Christmas style holiday, but a few tokens would have been nice.  

That said, we will be on board the cruise line again this 4th of July.  We will bring our own decorations.

Yes, we were on Oceania 2 yrs ago on July 4th, just off Charleston in the evening, we saw some fireworks from town but, nothing on ship.

A few years ago we were on Nautica in Northern Europe.  Terrace grill was decorated in USA regalia at lunch,  traditional foods and themed desserts were served.  

I don’t remember anything else but it was a port intensive itinerary and we were exhausted. 

1 minute ago, sammiedawg said:

A few years ago we were on Nautica in Northern Europe.  Terrace grill was decorated in USA regalia at lunch,  traditional foods and themed desserts were served.  

I don’t remember anything else but it was a port intensive itinerary and we were exhausted. 

Our Marina cruise begins July 4th in Stockholm this summer, so I can report back.  It'll be too late, of course, but for future reference...

3 hours ago, CraftyMomster2112 said:

Our Marina cruise begins July 4th in Stockholm this summer, so I can report back.  It'll be too late, of course, but for future reference...

Never too late to amass information, thank you! I'll do the same, in case anyone wants to know for the future...

• Like 1