Tortuga Rum

richbum

We booked a cruise with a stop in Grand Cayman...now we just found out that the entire route has changed... We would like some rum/rum cakes from Tortuga...does anyone know if you can get them in St. Thomas, Sr. Martin, St. Kitts, Amber Cove or San Juan??

Thanks in advance

3 hours ago, richbum said:

We booked a cruise with a stop in Grand Cayman...now we just found out that the entire route has changed... We would like some rum/rum cakes from Tortuga...does anyone know if you can get them in St. Thomas, Sr. Martin, St. Kitts, Amber Cove or San Juan??

Thanks in advance

We've easily found them (rum cakes) in St Thomas, St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan and onboard the ship....in several flavors.

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

We've easily found them (rum cakes) in St Thomas, St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan and onboard the ship....in several flavors.

Do they sell the bottles of rum as well...or just the cakes. 

St. Martin/St. Maarten is known for their Guava berry Rum. There's a shop within walking distance from the port where you can purchase it. All different flavors and such. Can also buy cakes soaked in it. IMO, Tortuga Rum is overplayed. You don't even have to travel to buy it. Not the case for Guava Berry rum. You can only purchase it there. I don't even know if it's available on the other islands like most of the alcohol.

If you end in San Juan, the duty free store at the airport sells the cakes.  Along with some excellent Puerto Rican rum not available in the US. They will package your rum in the TSA-compliant bags so you can take it home through however many TSA checkpoints you need to traverse.

I don't know about distribution in your area, but Tortuga is common here locally. You will find a lot of interesting rum across the Caribbean that is far less common. I would encourage you to shop around and possibly splurge for a nice bottle of something with some age to it. (7+ years)

I ended up calling Tortuga and they said that I could buy bottles of rum in St. Thomas and St. Marteen...but did not have the name of the shops to buy it. I guess I'll be looking around when I get there...Thank you for your help.