Cuba.....uh, oh.

goosemay

I didn't say Cuba itself may have imposed restrictions. But many people are interested in what, if any, changes there are for US travelers based on recent statements made by politicians. There do not appear to be any impacts at this time. 

@FGJones sorry, no, their profiles are not public

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, travelingtink said:

I didn't say Cuba itself may have imposed restrictions...

Nor did I say you did!  MSC is not going to act as policemen for US policy and prevent people from disembarking in ports where the local authorities aren't placing restrictions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thecruisers6 said:

News from Facebook....

Armonia docked in Havana and no restrictions at all 😅

I think I've just seen the post confirming and another poster is on the way there. 

And I think I've just joined your other cruise group 😀

Nothing has changed; you just can't stay in hotels that have anything to do with the military.. same goes for businesses.  This has been the rule for a long time now.  Google for all the details.

• Like 1

Yes, pretty sure we would've heard any negative news by now.  They've been back since Monday morning.

Got an email from Strawberry Tours (free walking tours) moving the meeting point for our Classic Car tour but no change for the walking tours.

Can't wait! 

• Like 2

I saw an email Tuesday from MSC titled "MSC Armonia Timing Change" for our March 2020 Cuba sailing and thought "oh no." But, it was just a timing change; loss of an hour in Roatan and an hour in Havana.   Of course, the email begins "Dear [wife]," but I guess that's an improvement from prior communications which began "Dear [18 month old]."

Edited by Cauzneffct

7 minutes ago, Cauzneffct said:

I saw an email Tuesday from MSC titled "MSC Armonia Timing Change" for our March 2020 Cuba sailing and thought "oh no." But, it was just a timing change; loss of an hour in Roatan and an hour in Havana.   Of course, the email begins "Dear [wife]," but I guess that's an improvement from prior communications which began "Dear [18 month old]."

I just got off the Armonia on Monday, May 6th after spending May 4th and May 5th in Havana.   No problems at all.    And, as a little bonus the visa only costs Canadians $50.00 (instead of 75).    The HOHO bus stops right outside the cruise terminal and only costs $10 CUC.  Quite a bargain to see all of Havana for the day.  We had a cover on the top level so it was not too hot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

I just got off the Armonia on Monday, May 6th after spending May 4th and May 5th in Havana.   No problems at all.    And, as a little bonus the visa only costs Canadians $50.00 (instead of 75).    The HOHO bus stops right outside the cruise terminal and only costs $10 CUC.  Quite a bargain to see all of Havana for the day.  We had a cover on the top level so it was not too hot.

Good to hear.   We've to 10+ months before we're set to sail, so who knows if/when/how anything will change.   I'm a bit of a researcher/planner, so all of this uncertainty is a bit maddening.

28 minutes ago, Cauzneffct said:

I'm a bit of a researcher/planner, so all of this uncertainty is a bit maddening.

I am the same.  Uncertainty spikes my anxiety.  (And no, telling me not to be anxious doesn't actually help my anxiety... 😂) but I sail in 18 days so hopefully nothing changes that fast. 

We are on the Oct 21st cruise - and I'm stressing about it since we can only cancel up until July.  I haven't booked our air yet either.  The uncertainty is not good.  It's our first cruise, and I'm doing it for Havana (the other ports are a plus) but I would not have looked at a cruise without Cuba.

• Like 1

If you google the Cuba travel, you will see nothing has changed; one thing that has changed is that you can't stay in hotels that have anything to do with the military..friends went for 2 weeks, stayed in an Airbnb for two weeks and had a great time, but this has been the rule for a long time now.  Google for all the details.

Well, here's how I look at it.  I booked the sailing to Havana for the earliest date I could because I was afraid there might be a rather small window to visit there.  You never know what the people in Washington will do.

So, I did my best to get to Cuba while that window was still open.  If it slams shut before next Saturday, there's nothing I can do about it.  I'll be disappointed but I've been disappointed in the past and probably will be in the future!

I'm a planner, too.  Unless there's any more news, I would go ahead and book my cruise, flights, and everything as though things were going to happen.  And I would go anyway even if they.  I have to plan in advance because of work, so I would never change my plans because of a port change, even though the port was the main reason I had booked.

I booked my first Med sailing on the Carnival Vista inaugural sailing mainly because I wanted to go to Ephesus.  Sure enough, they cancelled the call in Turkey (which, imho, was silly - other lines continued calling there).  I was extremely upset and disappointed.  But I went anyway and had a wonderful cruise.

• Like 2

My view tracks with that of our Tarheel friend above, NCTribeFan. I'm looking forward to our cruise, wherever it may take us. I was (and am) looking forward to seeing Cuba, and there's plenty of time for things to get back to normal. Regardless, I know that I'll be on a ship somewhere with great people, great food and great drinks. Being born in 1964, I never thought Cuba would be a possibility at any time, so if it doesn't happen this year, it'll happen eventually.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thecruisers6 said:

With a bit of luck Mr T will be otherwise occupied with having a go at China, Iran, North Korea & getting ready for his state visit to England 

Maybe he can sort out Brexit when he's over here!  😆

• Haha 3

I logged into my account to see if there were any additional excursions/add-ons being offered for pre-purchase and the first thing I saw was that we could order a buffet lunch on Ocean Cay.  I (again) thought “oh no” as Ocean Cay wasnt on our booked itinerary, but the excursions for Havana are still being offered.