Dining Room reservations on the Edge

traveline

I am booked on the Edge on 22 March 2020. I had made reservations at each one of the four main dining rooms. I upgraded to Aqua which gives me Blu. Can I still go to the other dining rooms for four nights and Blu for the other three nights. I will greatly appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks so much.

Yes you can.  Recently was on the Edge. Was tempted by those 4 dining rooms but Blu was great, and additionally only ate in the Steakhouse. The dining options are one of the Edge's biggest pluses. I've been in AQ since 2011. Blu was always very good, but it was really exceptional this time around.

When you upgraded to AquaClass, your dining room would have been reassigned to Blu...

You may arrange to dine in any of the four main dining rooms on a Select Dining basis if that is your preference but I seriously doubt that the MDR reservations that you made prior to the upgrade are still on record [AquaClass guests cannot reserve the MDR online]...  Though not absolutely necessary to do so, I find it best--once aboard-- to have the Maitre 'D in Blu make those MDR reservations for me so as to expedite seating upon arrival. 

This is what keeps me from trying to upgrade to AQ.  We have an regular IV and have reservations made at each of the 4 MDRs.  I am much more interested in experiencing the MDRs over Blu, and don't want to lose our MDR reservations.  We much prefer the expanded options of the MDRs as opposed to limited options offered in Blu - I am a picky eater so this is important to me.

• Thanks 1

I really hope by spending all the extra money you enjoy the food that the rest of us cannot get. The food was terrible in the main dining rooms and especially at the buffet. If you do not have to eat in the buffet do not. Hope you enjoy the ship. Have you noticed not a lot of 5 star reviews. There is a reason for that. If you want to just sit somewhere, try to find a comfortable seat, almost impossible and do nothing. This is a cruise ship for you.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:29 AM, Xport said:

When you upgraded to AquaClass, your dining room would have been reassigned to Blu...

You may arrange to dine in any of the four main dining rooms on a Select Dining basis if that is your preference but I seriously doubt that the MDR reservations that you made prior to the upgrade are still on record [AquaClass guests cannot reserve the MDR online]...  Though not absolutely necessary to do so, I find it best--once aboard-- to have the Maitre 'D in Blu make those MDR reservations for me so as to expedite seating upon arrival. 

I agree with this response. After initial bookings on the Edge, they decided to change 20 Concierge cabins to AQ (maybe a year or so before she actually sailed). One person posted on the Edge Forum that they were upset about having to give up their MDR reservations that they had made (they called X and asked). They were told they could ask to dine in the MDRs on a space available basis once onboard. If I remember correctly, they ended up having a good cruise, but I don't remember if they dined in the MDRs.

39 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Contrary to twodaywonder we found the food in the buffet to be excellent and never had a problem finding a comfortable place to sit and read or relax.

We also enjoyed the buffet,  and the lunches and breakfast we tried in the mdrs..

Twodaywonder  is not an EDGE fan overall based on other posts

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

I really hope by spending all the extra money you enjoy the food that the rest of us cannot get. The food was terrible in the main dining rooms and especially at the buffet. If you do not have to eat in the buffet do not. Hope you enjoy the ship. Have you noticed not a lot of 5 star reviews. There is a reason for that. If you want to just sit somewhere, try to find a comfortable seat, almost impossible and do nothing. This is a cruise ship for you.

We all have different tastes, but even when I have been on a cruise with food that wasn't excellent, there were always some highlights. I have been on the Edge 4 times and the buffet food was the best we have ever had on a ship (we usually avoid the ship's buffet) - good to very good food and loved the seating there. The food on the ship overall was the best we have had in many, many years. Did I like everything? No, but as with land restaurants, there are always winners and losers on the menus. The MDR menus are exactly the same as any X ship, with the addition of 7 regional items. Our 2 dinners in Cyprus (an MDR) were very good, with some items excellent, IMO. Eden's complimentary food was very good to excellent and the Mast Grill had good grilled food, also complimentary. We won't even get into the yummy free desserts at Cafe al Bacio. The specialty restaurants were also very good to excellent in our experience.

I agree that some of the chairs were odd and less comfortable, but there were many that were very comfortable and we found many comfortable, quiet places to chill (and saw that other people enjoyed the chairs we avoided). As far as finding something to do, we had a hard time choosing what to do. I wish we had had more time to relax. 🙂 We found the activities varied to appeal to many types of people, but obviously the activities didn't hit the mark for you.

Sorry that the Edge wasn't good for you. We also have ships that aren't for us, though we can't wait to get back onboard the Edge!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

FWIW on our recent Edge trip we had no difficulty getting in just about any restaurant/eating place whenever we wanted.  It seemed there was lots of space.  Even in Oceanview it was never a problem to find table space -- there is an area in the back with faux wood tables and chairs that looks mostly deserted. It's possible the pax count was low, but from what I saw and heard I doubt that was the explanation.  I may be wrong but I think there are just more restaurant seats per pax on the ship, so things are loosened up relative to other Celebrity ships.  It might be possible to pore over deck plans and count the restaurant seats to confirm one way or the other, but  I'll leave that to someone more dedicated than I.  OTOH we saw no evidence of discounting for the specialties as yet, so who knows what's really going on.

• 9 months later...

I'm booked on this same 3/22/20 sailing on Edge and wondered the same about Blu. I had originally booked Concierge Class but never saw a place to book MDR reservations. Now I've upgraded to Aqua but still would like to try at least a couple of the other MDR restaurants. Can I reserve these online or do I need to wait until I'm on board?

Thank!