Anyone recently off the Crown? Looking for internet updates.

Nhsaltshaker

I just got off the Crown a week ago.  The internet was horrible.  It may be fine for bringing in emails and surfing but I do an email every night after a port.  I include pictures and a narrative.  I send it to over a 100 people.  I had to split up the people in smaller groups so that the email would go out and even then it took maybe 5 or 10 minutes to just get one out.  I send out five duplicates all to different people.  I also upload my pictures to Facebook.  That took a bit of time too but all things considered I thought that the internet did fairly well uploading the pictures to Facebook.  I was on a 10 day cruise and I burned through 250 minutes.

I was on the Caribbean Princess last month.  It has Medallion Net.  Very fast.  I have to say I got spoiled because my last 4 cruises before the one on the Crown all had Medallion Net.  It is very hard going from Medallion Net to the Old internet.  I can't wait until all the ships have Medallion Net.

4 hours ago, CTGirl said:

I just got off the Crown a week ago.  The internet was horrible.  It may be fine for bringing in emails and surfing but I do an email every night after a port.  I include pictures and a narrative.  I send it to over a 100 people.  I had to split up the people in smaller groups so that the email would go out and even then it took maybe 5 or 10 minutes to just get one out.  I send out five duplicates all to different people.  I also upload my pictures to Facebook.  That took a bit of time too but all things considered I thought that the internet did fairly well uploading the pictures to Facebook.  I was on a 10 day cruise and I burned through 250 minutes.

I was on the Caribbean Princess last month.  It has Medallion Net.  Very fast.  I have to say I got spoiled because my last 4 cruises before the one on the Crown all had Medallion Net.  It is very hard going from Medallion Net to the Old internet.  I can't wait until all the ships have Medallion Net.

Thank you so much for your descriptive reply!

I was on the Crown in March and I didn't think it was bad.  I had 250 free minutes and I left with almost 100 of them.   Now, I have learned a few tricks that help with my usage.   I do all of my typing offline.  I type FB messages to my 87 year old Dad every morning and every evening (it's my way of checking on him, because he will respond).  If I am on my phone, I type them in Notes.  I also type a note to my daughter and one to my son (checking on my dogs).   After I have all of my messages typed, I copy one to clip board, and then I sign on.  I copy/paste and then do the next one and so on.  I then sign out and check back in later on it.  I do the same with emails, etc.   You can even post to FB offline and then it will post when you get online.   Sending a lot of emails with pictures will take longer, though.

Edited by wrongwaywatson

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, Nhsaltshaker said:

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recent reports on how fast the internet is on the Crown Princess?

Thanks so much.

According to Princess' website Crown is due to have MedallionNet operational "by July 12."  When do you cruise?

35 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

According to Princess' website Crown is due to have MedallionNet operational "by July 12."  When do you cruise?

Next week.  I know the Medallion thing is in the summer.  Not looking to get it next week.  I was on the Star 2 years ago and found it perfectly acceptable for ship internet.  Of course, I know to turn off the Cloud and always perform updates manually while on the ship.  And this time I'll have a VPN.  But on the Caribbean Princess last year, before Medallion, the ship already had super fast internet (at the old price platform) as they were getting ready to launch MedallionNet.