Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

16 hours ago, erby2283 said:

I’m actually not so sure about that. Here’s a comparison of the Hideaway to Cloud 17. I couldn’t even fit all of Cloud 17 in the screen shot. Look at the number of loungers compared to what’s in the Hideaway. Plus, (and I’m a non-smoker), the smoking section is adjacent to Cloud 17. There’s only one way into Cloud 17 (I think) from either end so it shouldn’t be that hard to limit access to children. 

As I said in an earlier post, as a woman sailing with 2 of her best friends, we really were looking forward to having the Cloud 17 area. We understand this ship is marketed to families but having this nice-sized adult only area was a nice selling point for us and I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t disappointing. But we’ll still make the best of it. 

51D6529B-BC18-4BC5-B3DA-AAD567DC99F0.jpeg

9B8DE960-E635-4896-A6B2-F2FB8494D0AD.jpeg

While the deck plans are likely not to scale, based on what Royal Caribbean has provided, the Hideaway is roughly 33% smaller than Cloud 17 with 33% fewer loungers and 50% fewer bar stools. The pool is also likely smaller, but it's hard to tell because the hideaway pool has a large area with shallow water for loungers. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

I think a lot of people try to justify what they spent and can't look objectively. They will sing Icon's praises regardless perhaps to soothe their wallet, 

I think this works both ways - some people try to justify what they've spent and some people are unable to spend the sums of money required, so they instantly write it off as being rubbish to justify it to themselves.

The truth is none of us know yet because no one has sailed on it yet.

Royal Caribbean will have done a monumental amount of research before spending over a billion dollars on Icon - and while it may not be everyone's taste, they will be positive there's a market for it.

Personally, as someone with 2 kids, it looks right up our street. Family holidays are rarely relaxing, and I think Icon fits that.  If I didn't have kids, I don't think I'd want to be on Icon. Not sure I'd be on Royal Caribbean. I'd probably go for Virgin. But alas, that's an option, so BRING IT ON ICON!!!

• Like 3

I think it's possible to be critical, disappointed all the while still go with a positive attitude and still have a good time because after all, a cruise is usually what you make of it (for the most part and barring unforeseen, out of your control issues). What is important to one may not be as important to others but that doesn't make their complaint or your complaint any less valid - just what's in the eyes of the beholder.

I personally agree with both @cr2000 and @BecciBoo on many of their posts. Even though I'll never see the likes of a suite I can understand the disappointment. And BecciBoo and I share in the disappointment of the loss of Cloud 17 but will still try and make the best of it.

I sent a short email to Michael Bayley (not that he actually reads them) about my disappointment - that's all I can do. Like @BecciBoo said, hopefully reviews come back and they'll make the switch back.  If not, I'm still an early riser and will find a great spot no matter where it is! CHOGS be darned. lol

As with most things in life, my views on ICON so far are a balance of good and bad.  Some aspects of the ship totally blow me away, and others leave me disappointed. I do agree some of the interior decor looks cheap and generic, although pics and videos may not do it justice.  

I do find the ship a bit overwhelming, in that I might be stressed trying to experience it all in a week.  

For now I’m happy with my decision to hold off booking and paying a small fortune to be one of the first.  There is only so much I’ll pay for a mass-market ship.  There still has to be some level of value proposition, even on the newest and largest ship in the world.  

So for the time being I’ll live vicariously through others, and hope all those sailing have an amazing experience with expectations exceeded!   

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, davidrlewis2302 said:

I think this works both ways - some people try to justify what they've spent and some people are unable to spend the sums of money required, so they instantly write it off as being rubbish to justify it to themselves.

The truth is none of us know yet because no one has sailed on it yet.

Royal Caribbean will have done a monumental amount of research before spending over a billion dollars on Icon - and while it may not be everyone's taste, they will be positive there's a market for it.

Personally, as someone with 2 kids, it looks right up our street. Family holidays are rarely relaxing, and I think Icon fits that.  If I didn't have kids, I don't think I'd want to be on Icon. Not sure I'd be on Royal Caribbean. I'd probably go for Virgin. But alas, that's an option, so BRING IT ON ICON!!!

It seems for many long time cruisers the cruiseline general direction is alienating their wants.  Icon of the Seas is a personification of this.  

If Icon is a success, Royal will continue towards this path, and eventually the 4-5-6 drinks a day won't bring back the long time cruiser.  Which reading the boards now, makes me think several of them only cruise with Royal because of there loyalty perks and not the actual current product.

I cruise because I want to be on a ship in the ocean.  Not for perks. We are not wealthy  by any means but we can afford it. I have always been happy with the product.  Certainly nothing RCCL does with a swimming pool will change that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Ships are measured by tonnage, she wins.

I actually look at tonnage and actual dimensions.  Tonnage is just a measurement of enclosed interior space.  It can be deceiving.  Actual dimensions tell the full story.  In the case of ICON both her tonnage and dimensions are the biggest, so she is the undisputed largest cruise ship in the world.  She doesn’t look it though in person.  

• Like 1

Here are a couple of photos of Crown’s Edge from my Wonder balcony today. 

IMG_4118.thumb.jpeg.eb6beaa31a42bf3b9c85de0781f19db9.jpeg

IMG_4106.thumb.jpeg.121b3af4f942d7efac1d8753af4ac2d2.jpeg

Guest are put in a harness similar to a zip line which is attached to the white rail then walk out on the walkway to what looks like a diving board. That drops out from under them and they glide around zip “rail” back to their starting point. 

Lots of screaming going on!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JemzRoo said:

I booked Sky Jr Suite for access to the suite area thinking this will be Royal's first decently done suite concept. The more footage I see the more disappointed I am. I'm really, really annoyed about Cloud 17. I was annoyed when it was announced we'd get no Solarium, but figured Cloud 17 had the potential to be a decent replacement. I have absolutely zero excitement for Hideaway. None. The child free area is now 10 decks above the children screaming in the surfside neighborhood? Fun. Awesome. 

Coincidence? Or did Royal put Matt on the case to get some pictures posted with postive PR spin?

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2024/01/15/icon-of-the-seas-suite-neighborhood

In fairness it's a huge space, which is a plus, looks to be ample seating. But the whole thing looks uninspiring, sterile, - hardily luxurious/exclusive. Perhaps it's the furniture, colors, textiles... something just isn't right. It almost looks like it was furnished with pieces from Target or Homegoods. Major step down from Wonder of the Seas imo. The outside bar also seems meh, and on the smaller side. The pool, what on earth were they thinking?! It's sized for about 8-10 adults tops. Also the additional pictures of the suite lounge confirm it's nothing separate/exclusive just a waiting area for Coastal Kitchen with a bar - the even have a makeshift privacy divider to separate the area, what? And not even a single ocean view from anywhere in the entire space?! They should've had the designer that did 1400 Lobby Bar (now that's beautiful) handle the suite deck design and furnishings.

Someone ought to be fired for the mess up on deck 17/18, the whole thing looks like an afterthought, which is a shame for suite guests who are probably paying crazy $$. If I had a suite booked on a future sailing, I'd cancel it for sure. Why pay a premium to have access to space that isn't nearly as nice/luxurious as the rest of the ship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JemzRoo said:

I booked Sky Jr Suite for access to the suite area thinking this will be Royal's first decently done suite concept. The more footage I see the more disappointed I am. I'm really, really annoyed about Cloud 17. I was annoyed when it was announced we'd get no Solarium, but figured Cloud 17 had the potential to be a decent replacement. I have absolutely zero excitement for Hideaway. None. The child free area is now 10 decks above the children screaming in the surfside neighborhood? Fun. Awesome. 

Looks like Matt just posted an update on the Suite Neighborhood with some positive spin. Coincidence? 

In fairness it's a huge space, which is a plus, looks to be ample seating. But the whole thing looks uninspiring, sterile, - hardily luxurious/exclusive. Perhaps it's the furniture, colors, textiles... something just isn't right. It almost looks like it was furnished with pieces from Target or Homegoods. Major step down from Wonder of the Seas imo. The outside bar also seems meh, and on the smaller side. The pool, what on earth were they thinking?! It's sized for about 8-10 adults tops. Also the additional pictures of the suite lounge confirm it's nothing separate/exclusive just a waiting area for Coastal Kitchen with a bar - the even have a makeshift privacy divider to separate the area, what? And not even a single ocean view from anywhere in the entire space?! They should've had the designer that did 1400 Lobby Bar (now that's beautiful) handle the suite deck design and furnishings.

Someone ought to be fired for the mess up on deck 17/18, the whole thing looks like an afterthought, which is a shame for suite guests who are probably paying crazy $$. If I had a suite booked on a future sailing, I'd cancel it for sure. Why pay a premium to have access to space that isn't nearly as nice/luxurious as the rest of the ship.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

Looks like Matt just posted an update on the Suite Neighborhood with some positive spin. Coincidence? 

You dont like the suite space on Icon. It’s not as nice as the suite space on Wonder. I think we get it. You don’t have a suite booked, but yet you keep ranting about the same thing as if it effects you in some way. 

Edited by Newcruiser215
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Again, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder: 

But the whole thing looks uninspiring, sterile, - hardily luxurious/exclusive. Perhaps it's the furniture, colors, textiles... something just isn't right. It almost looks like it was furnished with pieces from Target or Homegoods.

To you maybe, not to me.  It's subjective.  I think it looks Fabulous!  And I really don't care where they bought the stuff.  And BTW, I have many pieces from Home Goods, one of my favorite shops.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So Michael Bayley (or his admin) replied to my email. It was nice to get a response either way (and in a timely manner). See Below. 

Hi

Hideaway is superb.  Wait until you see and experience it.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Newcruiser215 said:

You dont like the suite space on Icon. It’s not as nice as the suite space on Wonder. I think we get it. You don’t have a suite booked, but yet you keep ranting about the same thing as if it effects you in some way. 

There are a number of things I don't like on Icon, the suite space is perhaps the biggest miss, and I think in time reviews will bear out that opinion. I've also noted a number of other things I think RC got wrong as well, but also plenty that looks fantastic. I don't plan to hang out in Surfside, but I happen to think they nailed it for kids. The infinity pool in proximity to the kids park and eating venues is very thoughtful and the entire space looks whimsical and fun, that's one place where they nailed the color scheme and design, exactly in tune with the target audience. I should haven't to stay or use a particular area to have an opinion. Let's wait until reviews start getting posted of actual paying customers, then we'll know how people feel. Remember the influencers get free vacations for being complimentary, and do so on your dime and mine. Enjoy your cruise!

With all the colors and cheap furnishings, so much of ship just looks cheap and sterile. Colossal f-up having the adults only area above the children’s surfside neighborhood and a floor below the water slides. 

It’s all way too kid-centric. Even when our kids were younger, we wouldn’t have booked a ship like this for the kids at the expense of our adult experience. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kruzerci said:

It’s all way too kid-centric. Even when our kids were younger, we wouldn’t have booked a ship like this for the kids at the expense of our adult experience. 

That’s my biggest fear with this ship.  That it will be overrun with kids absolutely everywhere.  And this coming from a person that loves Disney and DCL.  

The amount of 3rd, 4th, and 5th berths on this ship is astronomical.  

Time will tell.  

• Like 4