From Greenock should I go to Edinburgh or Stirling Castle

We took a simular TA on the Regal in September2017.  We choose a tour to Edinburgh from Greenock and it was a bad choice, at least for us, and here is why.  1st you are on the bus to get to Edinburgh for at least 2 hours and then we were supposed to go to the castle and the traffic in Edinburgh is horrible so it look an hour in the city to get to the castle, which left very little time to actually tour the castle.  we then had to get back on the bus to go to a hotel for lunch, which was not good and after that we ended up with about 1 hour free time and then back on the bus for another 2 hours back to the ship.  I would do the Sterling Castle tour and see the countryside if it allow you more time at the sites 

The thing is that Edinburgh is so much more than the Castle and it is a far more awe-inspiring destination than Stirling. Even standing on the Esplanade of Edinburgh Castle looking out on the city will take your breath away. Stirling is a nice enough place but in no way can be compared to the overwhelming beauty of Edinburgh.   I cannot believe you will be so close but won't take the opportunity to see a city you've always wanted to visit.Yes I love Loch Lomond and the Trossachs and they would come second in my recommendation of what to see from Glasgow but I  wouldn't choose where to visit in Scotland based on a decision about which Castle is better

21 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

What did you do when in Cobh the first time?  I always enjoy just walking around, exploring on my own--although a bit strenuous at times, climbing up the cliff <g>.  Very pleasant residential area above the docks.  The last time I walked along or near the beach below downtown (to watch the seabirds), then had a cup of tea (which I rarely drink) in a quaint little place.  On another visit we went on a Cruise Critic group tour to see the countryside, Powerscourt (large estate), and an area rich in Celtic history complete with ancient graveyard (it was a gray and damp day).

We went to the Titanic experience museum. It was very interesting and had a great time.  We love everything about the Titanic

21 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

We did the British Isles Cruise last summer. Edinburgh was full of fascinating sites. I did feel like Edinburgh Castle was a bit of a letdown after touring Inveraray Castle out of Greenock, though; that’s based on me preferring the interiors of castles. We didn’t do Stirling because Inveraray Castle looked more interesting to us, and it is officially my favorite castle now. I’d say you couldn’t lose by choosing one of your options over the other because they’ll both be interesting, but if you choose a Castle, I’d go with Inveraray. 

There are some tours that go to Inveraray Castle. I will look into that as well. Thank you.  I am excited to get to Scotland.

21 hours ago, Denmal said:

We took a simular TA on the Regal in September2017.  We choose a tour to Edinburgh from Greenock and it was a bad choice, at least for us, and here is why.  1st you are on the bus to get to Edinburgh for at least 2 hours and then we were supposed to go to the castle and the traffic in Edinburgh is horrible so it look an hour in the city to get to the castle, which left very little time to actually tour the castle.  we then had to get back on the bus to go to a hotel for lunch, which was not good and after that we ended up with about 1 hour free time and then back on the bus for another 2 hours back to the ship.  I would do the Sterling Castle tour and see the countryside if it allow you more time at the sites 

I am afraid of being in traffic and not  being able to spend time in Edinburgh. I appreciate your response.

4 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

The thing is that Edinburgh is so much more than the Castle and it is a far more awe-inspiring destination than Stirling. Even standing on the Esplanade of Edinburgh Castle looking out on the city will take your breath away. Stirling is a nice enough place but in no way can be compared to the overwhelming beauty of Edinburgh.   I cannot believe you will be so close but won't take the opportunity to see a city you've always wanted to visit.Yes I love Loch Lomond and the Trossachs and they would come second in my recommendation of what to see from Glasgow but I  wouldn't choose where to visit in Scotland based on a decision about which Castle is better

I just do not think I will have the time I want to spend in Edinburgh. If there was a port stop there I would not hesitate to go to Edinburgh Castle and see as much of the city as I can. I do hope to go to Edinburgh and stay for a few days at another time. Thank you for your reply.

59 minutes ago, fdcruisers said:

We went to the Titanic experience museum. It was very interesting and had a great time.  We love everything about the Titanic

I do too so I don't know why I haven't gone to that museum.  One time we were there, there was a display of photos of the Titanic's interior and exterior in the Cobh Heritage Center in the old depot by the dock.  They were taken by photographer Frank Brown who boarded in Southampton and disembarked in Cobh--lucky for him (and us)!  As you probably know, the Titanic dropped anchor two miles offshore at Roches Point, which is at the outer entrance to the harbor from the Atlantic and pax who were boarding at Cobh were ferried out to the ship.

7 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

I do too so I don't know why I haven't gone to that museum.  One time we were there, there was a display of photos of the Titanic's interior and exterior in the Cobh Heritage Center in the old depot by the dock.  They were taken by photographer Frank Brown who boarded in Southampton and disembarked in Cobh--lucky for him (and us)!  As you probably know, the Titanic dropped anchor two miles offshore at Roches Point, which is at the outer entrance to the harbor from the Atlantic and pax who were boarding at Cobh were ferried out to the ship.

Eventually I want to go to Titanic Belfast and stay in the hotel.  The Titanic Experience In Cobh was very interesting and worth the visit.

We were on a transatlantic last September that got diverted due to the remnants of Hurricane Florence. We were supposed to go from Rotterdam to Norway then Belfast and then St. John's. We ended up going a more southerly route, to Vigo, Spain, and Ponta Delgada in the Azores.

When we were in Greenock on our British Isles cruise in 2017, we used the time to take the train into Glasgow. I enjoyed that day a lot. We did the hop-on/hop-off bus to get around the city.

20 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

Do you intend to spend any time in London pre or post cruise or at any other time?

Edinburgh is a 5 hour train journey from London with some interesting countryside views along the way-may be worth considering with an overnight to explore properly 

No unfortunately not.  

15 hours ago, geoherb said:

We were on a transatlantic last September that got diverted due to the remnants of Hurricane Florence. We were supposed to go from Rotterdam to Norway then Belfast and then St. John's. We ended up going a more southerly route, to Vigo, Spain, and Ponta Delgada in the Azores.

When we were in Greenock on our British Isles cruise in 2017, we used the time to take the train into Glasgow. I enjoyed that day a lot. We did the hop-on/hop-off bus to get around the city.

I hope we will have good weather.  I have done the Dublin hop on hop off bus and loved it.