Questions from someone who hasn't cruised in 10 years

Hi everyone - I'm taking my first cruise in 10 years - I've been on a bunch, but I know a few things have changed and perhaps could use some tips.   Specifically...

Sailing May 5th from Barcelona on a 7 day Med cruise on Oasis in a crown loft suite - thanks for all of the updates on the ship from the repairs!

• How do I know if my cruise has a formal night(s)?  I don't see anything on the calendar and don't want to bring a suit that I'd never wear if there isn't a formal night.
  • Tipping
    • I am doing the pre-paid tips
    • Will give a bit more to the cabin crew in cash
    • Tip for drinks in the Suite lounge in cash?   Is USD ok, or should I go with EUR?
    • We are doing specialty dining on most nights - I dont think we'll ever go to the main dining room.  I know my tips under the pre-paid plan go there, but I assume nothing else is needed and we will tip for dining at each meal?
  • Entertainment
    • It looks like they save seats for the suites, so should I just cancel my reservations and we can go when we want?
  • Has anything else really changed in the last 10 years that I need to know about?

44 minutes ago, ScreamWithMe said:

Hi everyone - I'm taking my first cruise in 10 years - I've been on a bunch, but I know a few things have changed and perhaps could use some tips.   Specifically...

Sailing May 5th from Barcelona on a 7 day Med cruise on Oasis in a crown loft suite - thanks for all of the updates on the ship from the repairs!

• How do I know if my cruise has a formal night(s)?  I don't see anything on the calendar and don't want to bring a suit that I'd never wear if there isn't a formal night.
  • Tipping
    • I am doing the pre-paid tips
    • Will give a bit more to the cabin crew in cash
    • Tip for drinks in the Suite lounge in cash?   Is USD ok, or should I go with EUR
  • We are doing specialty dining on most nights - I dont think we'll ever go to the main dining room.  I know my tips under the pre-paid plan go there, but I assume nothing else is needed and we will tip for dining at each meal?
    • When we do Specialty Dining only we don't tip extra in the DR only at the restaurants.
  •  
  • Entertainment
    • It looks like they save seats for the suites, so should I just cancel my reservations and we can go when we want?
  • Has anything else really changed in the last 10 years that I need to know about?

I did the same cruise a few years ago. There will be 2 formal nights. Usually night 2 & either 5 or 6. Tips are welcome in either USD or EUR. I used USD mostly but used up my EUR tipping to get rid of them so I wouldn't have to exchange them when I got home. They were fine with both. When we do Specialty Dining only, we do not tip extra in the MDR. (only pre-paid amount) We tip extra in the restaurants we dine in. You will need to make reservations for shows! When you go there is a reserved section for suite guests. You will LOVE this cruise! The ports are wonderful. Enjoy & safe travels!

Don’t feel obligated to bring a suit for the formal nights.  Royal does not enforce its dress suggestions and you will find a wide variety of attire and the specialty restaurants are always smart casual even on formal nights.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

34 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Don’t feel obligated to bring a suit for the formal nights.  Royal does not enforce its dress suggestions and you will find a wide variety of attire and the specialty restaurants are always smart casual even on formal nights.

True! I didn't think about the fact that they are only doing specialty dining. 

You certainly MAY tip additionally for meals, but your pre-paid tips cover your dining.  Any package or fee for a service (drink or dining) will include tip.  

Suites do have a "reserved seating area"....but you'll need to get there about 15 mins. prior to the show, or they will release unused seats to the general public.  

One thing we did I not do on our cruise, that I feel bad about now 😞. Please notify the main dining room, if you are going to be doing specialty dining instead.  We had the UDP, and never thought to notify them

that we weren’t going to use the MDR at all, and then got a concerned call from our head waiter halfway through the cruise.

In a Crown Loft, definitely consider Coastal Kitchen.  If you have My Time Dining assigned in the MDR and don't plan to eat there, simply don't make any reservations.

As for show, you don't need reservations.  Simply walk up and show your Seapass and you'll be let in.  There is a reserved section for suite guests.  They release the unused seats 10 minuted prior to the show, so you do want to show up early.  They open the doors 30 minutes prior.  If you want a good seat choice, show up early. Also you aren't required to sit in the suite section, so pick the seat you want.  For the Aqua Show, the suite section is very good.  But show up early to get the better seats.  

As for MDR tips, that is already included in your prepaid tips.  When you purchase a specialty dining package the tip is a part of the price.  Tipping extra is your choice.  There is no requirement to tip extra.  Room service is not included in the tip pool, so if you use it,  you'll want to tip a few dollars at your discretion.  But everyone else is in the tip pool. Any extra tip is certainly at your discretion.  If you choose to tip the Suite Lounge servers.  Everything on Royal Caribbean is based on U.S. Dollars.  Unless you'd rather do Euros, dollars are fine.

Small caveat about shows: you DO need to reserve a spot in the COMEDY VENUE. The big venues (aqua theater, main theater) have suite-reserved seating, but the small comedy venue does not and you will need to reserve that ahead.