cancellation policy

Markanddonna

Hi,

Not a new cruiser, but new to Celebrity and hoping to book a cruise on the Equinox. It looks as if Celebrity has a policy where if I booked today and canceled on May 1st, I would have a 25% cancellation fee. The cabin would be an ocean view, so nothing spectacular. 

I thought most cruise lines didn't charge a cancellation fee until about 90-120 days before the sailing. Is Celebrity different or am I reading their website info incorrectly?

Thanks!  I've been looking forward to trying out Celebrity!

February 2020

Cancellation Fees

Inside Stateroom #9146

If you cancel your reservation after the dates listed below, you may be subject to additional fees.

DATES
CANCELLATION FEES PER GUEST
  • April 29, 2019   25% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE
  • November 18, 2019   50% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE
  • December 02, 2019   75% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE
  • January 01, 2020   100% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE

Edited by Markanddonna

Celebrity offers two ways to book, at the moment.  Refundable deposit and non-refundable.  Prices are usually considerably less expensive with the non-refundable option and usually no perks are offered.  When you are looking online, be sure to click on the appropriate box to which method is your preference.  

Cancellation Policy
Q.

What is Celebrity's cruise or Cruisetour cancellation and refund policy?

A.

The cancellation charge policies set forth above vary for single occupancy or for the third, fourth or higher occupants in a stateroom or for groups. Consult your travel agency or call Celebrity Cruises for further details.

Select fare programs require the payment at the time of booking of a nonrefundable deposit. That deposit amount shall not be refunded at any time after it has been paid. Change fees will apply to bookings for which the deposit is nonrefundable.

Cancellation of Cruise or CruiseTour. Cruises that are cancelled prior to the sail date, and CruiseTours that are cancelled prior to the first day of the CruiseTour, may be subject to a cancellation charge. The amount of the cancellation charge shall be determined as shown in the table below and shall vary depending on how far in advance of the sail date (or first day of theCruiseTour) the Operator receives notice of cancellation.

For Cruises Booked Before April 16, 2018

For 1 TO 4 NIGHT CRUISES IF CANCELLATION IS MADE (including Holiday Sailings) CANCELLATION CHARGE (Per person)
75+ days No charges (except for Non-refundable Deposit amounts )
74 to 43 day Deposit amount
42 to 29 days 50% of total price
28 to 15 days 75% of total price
14 days or less 100% of total price - No refund

For 5 NIGHT CRUISES OR LONGER IF CANCELLATION IS MADE (including Holiday Sailings and Cruisetours) CANCELLATION CHARGE (Per person)
90+ days No charges
89 to 75 days Deposit Amount
56 to 29 Days 50% of total price
28 to 15 days 75% of total price
14 days or less 100% of total price - No refund

For Cruises Booked On or After April 16, 2018

FOR 1 TO 4 NIGHT CRUISES (including Holiday sailings) CANCELLATION CHARGE (Per Person)
75+ days No charges
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price - No refund

FOR 5 NIGHTS OR LONGER CRUISES (including Holiday Sailings and Cruisetours) CANCELLATION CHARGE (Per Person)
90+ days No charges
89 to 75 days 25% of total price
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price - No refund

In the event of a cancellation of a Cruise or CruiseTour, any applicable Taxes/Fees or Fuel Supplement charges shall be refunded. For bookings made outside of the United States and Canada, a different cancellation policy may apply. Contact your local office or travel agency for details.

Cancellation notices are effective when received by the Operator.

For Passengers who have booked a CruiseTour and desire to cancel their tour portion while retaining the Cruise, refunds of the CruiseTour Fare (including any applicable supplement charges) shall be made in accordance with the following cancellation policy. Guests who convert their CruiseTours to a cruise only booking within forty-two (42) days of the start date of the tour segment of the CruiseTour will be subject to a cancellation charge. The amount of that charge varies depending on the location of the CruiseTour and/or its length. For the specific amount of the charge, visit Our FAQ section.

The cancellation charge policies set forth above vary for single occupancy or for the third, fourth or higher occupants in a stateroom or for groups. Consult your travel agency or call Celebrity for further details.

Cancellation by the Passenger after the Cruise or CruiseTour has begun, early disembarkation of the Passenger for any reason, including pursuant to any provision of this Ticket Contract, or “no-shows” shall be without refund, compensation, or liability on the part of the Carrier whatsoever.

If Carrier received payment via credit card, the refund will be made to that credit card. If Carrier received payment from your travel agent, the refund will be provided back to that travel agent.

Carrier reserves the right to offer promotional cruise fares or other offers that may modify the cancellation policies set forth above.

For cancellations of air flights, hotel stays, transfer services, shore excursions, pre-purchased amenities, CruiseCare, pre-booked services (such as spa, photography or wedding services) and pre-booked arrangements such as specialty dining, see the applicable terms and conditions for any applicable cancellation charges.

Q.

Is cruise/vacation cancellation protection available?

A.

With the CruiseCare® Cancellation Penalty Waiver (non-insurance feature provided by Celebrity Cruises), if you need to cancel your cruise, Celebrity Cruises will waive the non-refundable cancellation provision of your cruise ticket contract and pay in cash the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation in the event you or your travel companion need to cancel your cruise vacation (for specified reasons). Also, if you or your travel companion need to cancel for "any other reason," you may be eligible for Cruise Credits (up to 75% of the non-refundable, prepaid cruise vacation cost). Guests must cancel their cruise prior to departure and must request a refund through the program administrator to be eligible for cash reimbursement or future cruise credits, as applicable. Credits expire one year after the issue date, are nontransferable, and are not applicable to holiday or inaugural sailings. Credits have no cash value and, if applied to a booking of lesser value, will not result in a cash refund of any difference. Credits may not be used for deposits, only final payment, and can be used only on the cruise brand originally booked. Only original copies of credit letters will be accepted; copies or altered letters may not be used.

Review CruiseCare terms, conditions and exclusions here.        

CEL_042418B

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/cancellation-policy

Edited by gerelmx

25 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

February 2020

Cancellation Fees

Inside Stateroom #9146

If you cancel your reservation after the dates listed below, you may be subject to additional fees.

DATES
CANCELLATION FEES PER GUEST
  • April 29, 2019   25% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE
  • November 18, 2019   50% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE
  • December 02, 2019   75% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE
  • January 01, 2020   100% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE

This makes no sense to me for a Feb 2020 sail date.  Even with a Non Refundable deposit you wouldn't be charged the 25% until after final payment due date.

I would call Celebrity and get something in writing if they tell you otherwise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

This makes no sense to me for a Feb 2020 sail date.  Even with a Non Refundable deposit you wouldn't be charged the 25% until after final payment due date.

I would call Celebrity and get something in writing if they tell you otherwise.

If you are willing to use a good travel agency, they may have a more detailed answer for you.  They do have some good agents down at Celebrity but then again, you may not get one of those.  I am always sure to get one that sounds like they know what they are doing ... and if not, I tell them I have to go and call back.  If the same one answers, I hang up and try again until I get one that is knowledgeable.  I know that is a lot of work but sometimes, it has to be done.  

• Like 1

Another approach would be to put the cabin on 24 hr hold then call 1-888-751-7804 the existing reservation line and request a Guest Invoice which will be emailed to you immediately, that should detail the cancellation as well.

This is what shows on my 1/31/2020 reservation.  That way you have hardcopy proof on your invoice.

2019-04-29_110334.pdf

It looks to me like a website glitch - it's calculating correctly when the 30 (100%), 60 (75%) and 74 (50%) day cut-offs are but for some reason thinks that 'today' is somewhere between 75 and 89 days before sailing date so applies the 25% forfeit from today,

Non-refundable deposits are more or less standard procedure for bookings outside of North America and prices are usually higher too without any benefits on top of the non-refundable deposit. But I have to say that 25% that far out does look like a glitch. 

For us it is a minimum cancellation fee of 125€ per Person and it goes up 59 days before the cruise.  

image.png