Need help deciding between 2 Summit Bermuda cruises

5bagspacked

I am trying to decide which Summit Bermuda cruise to take in June. They are both 11 day cruises that are basically identical except the June 5 cruise goes to Newport RI for one day and spends only one overnight in Bermuda (11am to 5pm the next day) while the June 16 cruise does not go to Newport but spends two nights in Bermuda(8:30am Wed to 3:00p Fri). I am travelling with my two teenage sons and we have not been to any of these ports before. The mansions in Newport are of interest to me but not sure how much they would appeal to teenage boys.I don't see us spending too much time at a beach as my sons prefer more active excursions or historical tours. Basically, additional port vs. more time in Bermuda is the dilemma. Any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by 5bagspacked

Newport offers more than the Mansions.  Great sailing  history in that port....very nautical.   Nice stores and pubs. I would definitely consider it.  We are booked on an itin that includes Newport, Bermuda and Charleston in 2020. Looking forward to enjoying them all.!

Suggest you post on the ports board for ideas, use  google  and look at the 

X excursions for something active and ideas in general.

Edited by hcat

I am on the June 15 sailing.  I chose this date because it worked well for us personally.  We thought we were going to be gone traveling elsewhere from mid May to first part of June.  This has since changed.  If I were you, I would book based on pricing.  There are many rooms available on June 5 and June 15 sailing.  Look for the June 5 sailing to drop significantly around May 5.  This is what happened with the May 26 sailing(dropped April 26, up the next day).  I wish I would have waited to book because I think the prices are really going to drop.  Of course, this is speculation on my part and I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Since the OP's post shows they are from Seattle, I would say, see both Newport and Bermuda.  Newport is lots of fun.  Look into the different tours at the various mansions.  There was a servant's quarters tour at one (Elms maybe?) and other "different" tours at others.

In Bermuda take your son for a walk in the rock formations between Horseshoe bay and Warwick Long Bay.  Start at Long Bay and walk towards Horseshoe.  Looks like where they shoot some of the Bermuda ads.  

Enjoy whichever cruise you pick.

Do the one with both Newport and Bermuda.

if your sons are teenagers they can’t drink  and they don’t like beaches then one day at Bermuda would be enough.   It is a interesting place but very expensive.  

Something to consider in Bermuda is to hire a cab for 4 hours or more.  You pay by the hour and the drivers will give you a personal tour of the island along with commentary, and do whatever you want.  It costs $50/hour for 4 people.   All drivers are screen and have to pass a test get a license to do that.  They will be lined up at the dock.  Best to talk to one to get a feel if you like him before hiring. It is can be lot cheaper than doing a tour and more enjoyable.  

Here is a website to check but there are others.  

https://www.bermuda4u.com/transport/taxis

New Port has more than mansions.   There is a lot of history and many  mansions are converted into public area like museums, and etc.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We were in Newport a couple of years ago on a land trip, we did a great tour of the Breakers and then a bus tour of Newport.  It took up most of the morning with a lot of time at the breakers.  It might be interesting to the boys to see how things in those mansions worked.  The tour of Newport on the bus was very nice, lots of sights including the church where the Kennedys were married.   Great food in Newport.  

We have been to Bermuda many times and it is my favorite island.  This is really a tough decision you have to make.