Has your cruise ever been splashed

We just got home from a nice cruise around Japan and almost had a wonderful trip.

Until........

Due to a medical issue, I had to withdraw from a $260 prepaid private group excursion to Kamikura on the last day of the cruise.  

To drag it lower, we were on the Skyliner shuttle from Tokyo to NRT.  As a rule luggage is placed  in an enclosed area upon boarding. 

The short of it is, when leaving the train I found that 2 of my bags were stolen from that area. Sadly, one that contained some critical medication as well as my phone and tablet.

We immediately reported this to the customer service people which was all we could to in the time frame we had before our flight. As predicted, nothing was recovered.

That is how the wonderful cruise ended.

Has anyone else have a cruise dampened by something happening to them?

18 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

We just got home from a nice cruise around Japan and almost had a wonderful trip.

Until........

Due to a medical issue, I had to withdraw from a $260 prepaid private group excursion to Kamikura on the last day of the cruise.  

To drag it lower, we were on the Skyliner shuttle from Tokyo to NRT.  As a rule luggage is placed  in an enclosed area upon boarding. 

The short of it is, when leaving the train I found that 2 of my bags were stolen from that area. Sadly, one that contained some critical medication as well as my phone and tablet.

We immediately reported this to the customer service people which was all we could to in the time frame we had before our flight. As predicted, nothing was recovered.

That is how the wonderful cruise ended.

Has anyone else have a cruise dampened by something happening to them?

What a bummer. And, as you now have realized, an expensive reminder to never put anything of value/extreme importance (e.g., meds, cell phone, electronics) in any piece of luggage that leaves your side. 

Since our cruises usually exceed 3-4 weeks duration, we rely on two large checked bags (approx 28") and two very small (underseat) rollaboards packed with the aforementioned important "valuable" items plus one change of essential clothing (should luggage be delayed) and whatever else we need for the flight.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/travel-bags/best-underseat-luggage

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What a bummer. And, as you now have realized, an expensive reminder to never put anything of value/extreme importance (e.g., meds, cell phone, electronics) in any piece of luggage that leaves your side. 

Since our cruises usually exceed 3-4 weeks duration, we rely on two large checked bags (approx 28") and two very small (underseat) rollaboards packed with the aforementioned important "valuable" items plus one change of essential clothing (should luggage be delayed) and whatever else we need for the flight.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/travel-bags/best-underseat-luggage

Yours is great advice for all travelers to follow and have always practiced in the past.

I did have the bulk of my medication in the checked bag. The dosage  required during the flight along with my phone and tablet were in the carry on.

As seen in  the photo prior to boarding, the carry on was tied to my suitcase to make it easier to transport in the train station with the plan to untie and carry it once on the train. That was my fatal second fatal error.

The masses boarding in front of the car  gave me no time to untie the carry on bag so under panic, both were placed on the rack. I completely misjudged the mob that covered the view of my bags. They are history. Carry on et al.

Yes. Lesson learned.

\Problem number 3. My wife reports that she will never do an international vacation again.

20190427_104910.jpg

54 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

Yours is great advice for all travelers to follow and have always practiced in the past.

I did have the bulk of my medication in the checked bag. The dosage  required during the flight along with my phone and tablet were in the carry on.

As seen in  the photo prior to boarding, the carry on was tied to my suitcase to make it easier to transport in the train station with the plan to untie and carry it once on the train. That was my fatal second fatal error.

The masses boarding in front of the car  gave me no time to untie the carry on bag so under panic, both were placed on the rack. I completely misjudged the mob that covered the view of my bags. They are history. Carry on et al.

Yes. Lesson learned.

\Problem number 3. My wife reports that she will never do an international vacation again.

20190427_104910.jpg

Unfortunately, you learned the hard way.  At least you had with you what you needed for the flight home.  (But note, that still wouldn't have allowed for a delay in the travel home, for critical meds.)

I sometimes feel like bellhops in hotels (or *anyone* offering assistance with luggage) must think I am super paranoid or perhaps have the crown jewels in my smaller/overnight bag.  That's the one with our meds in it; other valuables are of secondary importance.  I do *NOT* let it out of my sight, and I almost always keep my hand(s) on it.

When checking into a hotel, if a bellhop/etc., offers to put it on the cart, I will invariably decline OR state, "thank you; that would be great IF I can accompany the cart the entire way".  So, sometimes I need to remove my bag; other times, I get a lovely ride up the service elevator :classic_ohmy:

I usually mention that our meds are in the bag (and if we lose them, we need to return home, which is likely true), but I always feel like I am announcing that we have gazillions worth of fabulous jewels...  And that's why I more often just carry it, despite DH's encouragement to "put it on the cart; it'll be fine", especially a "better hotels".  I figure "better" hotels are where they wouldn't be surprised to find "jewels" in luggage, and especially luggage that someone was reluctant to part with!

And... we cross pack meds.  That means that although I have most of them, DH also has a few days worth of everything, and I always have emergency supplies in my purse.

There are a few meds where we could get into serious trouble if we didn't have our meds, so it's not just "on principle".

Even on outings/excursions, we always have a few days supply with us... what if we miss the ship?  (We've never come close, but it's better safe than sorry.)  Or what if... just IF...?

GC

all of our medications, electronics and DS's no back booster are always in the carryons: 2 backpacks (1 with meds, 1 with electronics) and DS's booster and snacks travel in a woven bag:

20181224_152934.jpg.bd2c1ff7ec6ca475d0b9864aa216332c.jpg

49895619_2112008838857958_3406665233375166464_n.jpg

When we cruise, we always take meds, electronics and a couple of other very essential items we can't cruise/live without with us, and they never leave our side.

We never take any jewelry with us when we travel.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

With reference to meds., we always get our Dr to give us prescriptions in the event we loose ours and need to get refills. But due to our flight time, it was not possible this time. There is a Drug Store in NRT but all they sell is shampoo and ect.

1 minute ago, JMorris271 said:

With reference to meds., we always get our Dr to give us prescriptions in the event we loose ours and need to get refills. But due to our flight time, it was not possible this time. There is a Drug Store in NRT but all they sell is shampoo and ect.

In foreign countries (meaning Non-USA for USA residents and USA-based Rx scripts), there is no guarantee that an Rx from a USA-based physician would be honored.  There is also no guarantee that the *same* medication is even available at all, or in the same form.

Indeed, in some foreign countries (including Japan), an OTC (Over The Counter, in the USA) med is not even allowed to be brought into the country, with or without any physician indications.

We also always travel with physician letters, and copies of Rx scripts, but that is in case we are questioned at some border.  In some cases, the physician's letter also specifies the condition being treated (but this is not for all meds).

We don't assume that we could refill USA-based Rx scripts in foreign countries.  (Indeed, in a few cases, Rx's can be difficult to fill in a different state within the USA, nevermind a foreign country...)

GC

When I was a youngster, I did a tour of Europe by hitchhiking. In Kirchdorf Austria, I discovered that somewhere along that day I had lost a bottle of a med that I needed. I found a pharmacy and spoke with the pharmacists for a few mins. They dispensed to me enough of my med. to return to Heidelberg where I could visit my Dr. If I had more time, I would have seen a hospital to see a Dr. if a pharmacy could not help.

I suppose I was lucky that time however I understand what you are suggesting. I had to miss a dose but things worked out  fortunately.

I can tell you this though. I will never ever put myself in that position again.

My post is actually asking generally speaking, if any kind of event had put a damper on a vacation cruise for you.

Edited by JMorris271

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Unfortunately, you learned the hard way.  At least you had with you what you needed for the flight home.  (But note, that still wouldn't have allowed for a delay in the travel home, for critical meds.)

I sometimes feel like bellhops in hotels (or *anyone* offering assistance with luggage) must think I am super paranoid or perhaps have the crown jewels in my smaller/overnight bag.  That's the one with our meds in it; other valuables are of secondary importance.  I do *NOT* let it out of my sight, and I almost always keep my hand(s) on it.

When checking into a hotel, if a bellhop/etc., offers to put it on the cart, I will invariably decline OR state, "thank you; that would be great IF I can accompany the cart the entire way".  So, sometimes I need to remove my bag; other times, I get a lovely ride up the service elevator :classic_ohmy:

I usually mention that our meds are in the bag (and if we lose them, we need to return home, which is likely true), but I always feel like I am announcing that we have gazillions worth of fabulous jewels...  And that's why I more often just carry it, despite DH's encouragement to "put it on the cart; it'll be fine", especially a "better hotels".  I figure "better" hotels are where they wouldn't be surprised to find "jewels" in luggage, and especially luggage that someone was reluctant to part with!

And... we cross pack meds.  That means that although I have most of them, DH also has a few days worth of everything, and I always have emergency supplies in my purse.

There are a few meds where we could get into serious trouble if we didn't have our meds, so it's not just "on principle".

Even on outings/excursions, we always have a few days supply with us... what if we miss the ship?  (We've never come close, but it's better safe than sorry.)  Or what if... just IF...?

GC

Yes,  the OP made some serious "rookie" mistakes.  Sounds like he did not allocate enough time and thought to remove his bag from his luggage and panic'd a little about getting on the shuttle.  

At a hotel, the BELLMAN (bellhop is old and condescending) is trained to ask if they may assist with all your luggage.   I'm not sure why you feel awkward with saying "thank you, I'll keep this bag with me" - it happens all the time.  And the reference and inference that staff at "better" hotels will rummage through guest luggage for "jewels", as a member of the hospitality community, I find this insulting.  If you think staff at "better" hotels may steal, maybe you should not stay at "better" hotels... 

• Like 2

OTOH, in many countries you do not need a prescription for many (or in some cases, all)  meds.

And the same generic med is available for most common meds.

I have had to extend a work trip, and most times, just hit a pharmacy and ask, and get what I need.  You do need to know the chemical name or generic name, as they may not know the brand name.