local food in restaurants

kroeni

18 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Extremely rarely.

IMO, it depends on a combination of factors including ports, length of cruise, executive chef and which ship. In my experience, Insignia (because it is the "world cruise" ship) appears to have a better discretionary budget for menu deviation. We did our first transpacific on Insignia and had fresh fish in multiple ports. Recently, on Sirena (around the Horn), several of the Brazilian/Argentinian ports had us overwhelmed with local beef and pork (misplaced the picture of the fresh roasted pig). 

Where I agree that local protein may be rare would be the short hauls (e.g., Caribbean, Med).

On 5/2/2019 at 5:16 AM, kroeni said:

Does Oceania have fresh local food in the restaurants, like local salmon Alaska on an Alaska cruise?

Rarely.... they have strict insurance guides and health restrictions.    If yo went fishing and caught something  they would not let you bring it on board

On 5/2/2019 at 7:53 AM, Jancruz said:

If you go fishing and catch something the Chef is happy to prepare it for you..

Jancruz1

I  would question that....  I have asked and been  told no. several times

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

I  would question that....  I have asked and been  told no. several times

Lets just say it depends on who you know..the chef made our 2 fish three different ways and was wonderful..

Jancruz1

Could you imagine how many of us would be bringing back aboard live fresh ( tank) caught King Crabs in Bergen, Norway if we thought the cooks would prepare it!! OMG!! Or how about all the lobsters, fresh of the boats in Halifax or Maine would be brought on instead of those frozen tough things onboard! 

Truth is we were so stuffed from eating the crab in the Fish Market there, we skipped dinner on board that night. Eating fresh local produce and products is not in some people’s wheelhouse. A Subway or Burger King in a foreign port is as local as they will handle. However, the Fish Market in Bergen should not be missed with all its incredible variety of food!

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Could you imagine how many of us would be bringing back aboard live fresh ( tank) caught King Crabs in Bergen, Norway if we thought the cooks would prepare it!! OMG!! Or how about all the lobsters, fresh of the boats in Halifax or Maine would be brought on instead of those frozen tough things onboard! 

Truth is we were so stuffed from eating the crab in the Fish Market there, we skipped dinner on board that night. Eating fresh local produce and products is not in some people’s wheelhouse. A Subway or Burger King in a foreign port is as local as they will handle. However, the Fish Market in Bergen should not be missed with all its incredible variety of food!

Well  that settles that.....I was told there are 2 things to do in Bergen and one is to leave...  I guess the fish market is the other.....

You were told wrong about Bergen!  There's lots to do there.  One of our favorite places.  I admit, it might not be to YOUR taste.  But we've spent several days there and never were bored.

In Bergen, if you missed the Fish Market you missed the town!

The outrageous alcohol tax makes enjoying a truly nice wine near impossible, but a good beer is still there, at $10* each. The food in the market is world class. The atmosphere and variety is phenomenal!

As Mura stated, besides the Market, there is lots to do there. Great City!

Edited by pinotlover

On 5/3/2019 at 7:03 PM, pinotlover said:

The outrageous alcohol tax makes enjoying a truly nice wine near impossible, but a good beer is still there, at $10* each. The food in the market is world class. The atmosphere and variety is phenomenal!

On 5/3/2019 at 7:03 PM, pinotlover said:

Glad you both liked it....Norway left me cold on several  counts  and expensive to boot  I will take Alaska, food  scenery and its reasonable     Not into sardines, cod and  salmon

We all have our preferences, nothing wrong in that.  While we enjoyed Alaska, no question about it, we much preferred Norway.

Hmmm ... could the fact that my mother's family came from Norway have anything to do with it?  🤔

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2019 at 9:58 PM, Mura said:

You were told wrong about Bergen!  There's lots to do there.  One of our favorite places.  I admit, it might not be to YOUR taste.  But we've spent several days there and never were bored.

it is  a wind up

why buy into his nonsense  😉

Dan is obviously not aware of the fact that King Crab was brought over into Norwegian waters from Alaska where the have proliferated. Proliferated Hugely!

When / If you go to the Bergen Fish Market they have live King Crabs in tanks to pick out and they prepare for you fresh! This is not frozen King Crab, and most often preboiled, these are huge alive King Crab! This is in addition to a wide array of wonderful cold water fresh oysters and mussels. A foodie paradise! 

Dan obviously hasn’t gotten off the shi there recently!

Just now, pinotlover said:

Dan is obviously not aware of the fact that King Crab was brought over into Norwegian waters from Alaska where the have proliferated. Proliferated Hugely!

When / If you go to the Bergen Fish Market they have live King Crabs in tanks to pick out and they prepare for you fresh! This is not frozen King Crab, and most often preboiled, these are huge alive King Crab! This is in addition to a wide array of wonderful cold water fresh oysters and mussels. A foodie paradise! 

Dan obviously hasn’t gotten off the shi there recently!

maybe he could not find  a Michelin star  restaurant  there  😉

On 5/3/2019 at 11:40 AM, Jancruz said:

Lets just say it depends on who you know..the chef made our 2 fish three different ways and was wonderful..

Jancruz1

At the Cozumel port a couple years ago, someone on the ship beside us, the Celebrity Reflection, was catching fish.

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

maybe he could not find  a Michelin star  restaurant  there  😉

Oh he has...its just I dont get excited over most seafood even lobster... and Norwegian  cuisine is not for me... personal tastes  French or German yes.   If you like it fine.   Your right if I eat off the ship it will be a Michelin place... why settle for less.