Changing Money

Ombud

1 hour ago, macmax said:

On the other hand, Canadian currency has never been accepted in the states even in border towns.

1 hour ago, Redwing55 said:

UH, not true. 

Not only do most northern New York enterprises accept CAD, but when it was close in value to the USD, hotels and resorts would frequently advertise that they would accept CAD at par.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Not only do most northern New York enterprises accept CAD, but when it was close in value to the USD, hotels and resorts would frequently advertise that they would accept CAD at par.  

Our favorite ski resort within day trip distance is south of Buffalo (Holiday Valley) and they run a special for CAD at par and always accepted CAD cash at a decent-to-good rate.  But, they are close to the border and have tons of Canadian customers.

As others mentioned, it is up to individual proprietors what they do, but Canada and US are kind of unique.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Agree with those posting about paying in USD currency in Canada.  Major cities, especially near the border, often have this situation in touristic areas.  Anytime I have seen a card posted by a retailer as to the rate they are offering, it is a terrible ripoff and I am embarrassed to see American tourists being taken advantage of that way.  It's great for the retailer who can pocket the USD at end of the day and replace it with CAD for way less than they can purchase USD for travel south. 

Thrak, this really isn't such a big deal.  That said, there are going to be places that might not have a posted rate and then a sales clerk is going to have to ask a manager and it becomes a bit of a "thing" to get it done. 

My advice is to use credit card and limit acquiring cash.  Especially if you have one that doesn't charge a foreign currency surcharge.  They are accepted almost everywhere and for almost anything and everything - even small purchases.  Same as in USA. 

But also look into ATM fees and rates.  Perhaps your bank in the US has a partnership of sorts with a Canadian bank.  TD Bank in the US (lots of presence up and down east coast) is owned by TD Canada Trust in Canada and might offer better rate for its customers.

We Canadians have it lucky as our banks offer USD credit cards as readily as CAD cards and we also have USD bank accounts - again just a prevalent as CAD accounts. 

I agree with Steelers .. I'm from Niagara Falls, Ontario and a lot of tourist don't get the right discount .. we are at 38% to buy US.. try to change somewhere .. If you are going to a couple of ports take a couple of canadian dollars with you .. I do find also credit cards give the best exchange .. 

7 hours ago, abqmommyof4 said:

There is a.money exchange place at the airport in miami. I've used similar ones in Orlando, it's a small service fee  and they use the current rate of convertion

I thought that those airport exchange places were considered something of a rip-off, giving the customer a poor conversion rate and/or charging a high fee.  We've always gotten our foreign currency at ATMs near foreign ports.  For example, if one is doing an EB TA that stops at Ponta Delgada in the Azores, there is an ATM across the street from the port that I have used at least once to get euros.  I mentioned earlier getting British pounds at an ATM in the big mall in Southampton.  I have a Bank of America ATM card, which has always been accepted; I assume other bank's cards work as well, but it would be a prudent idea to check with your bank before you depart.  I've also used an ATM in Cobh, Ireland and probably other places I've forgotten.

Edited by BarbinMich

On 5/2/2019 at 10:21 AM, skynight said:

Looks like there are a half dozen banks within easy walking distance of the pier in St. John, your 1st stop in Canada.

If I haven't said so beforehand, thank you. I looked it up and sure enough there are ATM's near my 1st stop. Also I will be doing a lot of Saint John on my own. Going up to the synagogue and just touring around the town. That said, I really do want 50 Canadian. I'm not worried about left over money, as it's basically the same size and I can dump the quarters in any machine here that takes coins. But will also be back in Canada next March. So if I have some paper money left over then I just don't have to worry about getting it then.

11 minutes ago, Ombud said:

So if I have some paper money left over then I just don't have to worry about getting it then.

No paper money in Canada. It's plastic. 😏 No $1 or $2 bills either. Those are coins. (Loonies and Toonies.)

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

No paper money in Canada. It's plastic. 😏 No $1 or $2 bills either. Those are coins. (Loonies and Toonies.)

Sure looks like paper money? 😳

Screenshot_20190504-134257_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Ombud

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

A new Loonie is coming out soon - or is in circulation now.  Has an artistic tribute to change in law 50 years ago in regards to same-sex decriminalization in Canada.  Lots of controversy as that wasn't really the milestone it is being made out to be.  But it is a way Justin Trudeau can pay homage to his Dad.  Without the Loon on the coin, we may need a new moniker.  Of course the Toonie (or Twonie) is not nicknamed for its embossed image of a polar bear either.  Probably be Loonies and Twonies forever. 

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

Yes, but when you feel it and try and fold it in half, you realize how much plastic content there is.

The part on the right hand side that looks kind of clear actually is clear. Note how you can see my fingers through the bill. Definitely plastic. More durable and harder to forge than paper.

image.thumb.jpeg.b38bfb35f7068c0b6285b3703436a700.jpeg

Edited by Thrak

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

The part on the right hand side that looks kind of clear actually is clear. Note how you can see my fingers through the bill. Definitely plastic. More durable and harder to forge than paper.

True.  There is a piece of shiny foil as well.  I noticed similar features in AUD cash when we were there.

The US should have some more colorful bills!

On 5/3/2019 at 8:28 AM, Gwendy said:

One of my pet peeves is people who won’t make the effort to get and use local currency,  Once was behind a woman who wanted to pay in US$ in Sweden, because “I don’t understand whatever money you people use”.  Enough said about rude.

That was indeed rude. The sterotype of the ugly American. 

On our last trip in Europe, I ended up with bits and bobs of four different currencies.  Luckily I was able to use up most of the coins as we went and I donated the leftovers on the flight home.  The collection of bills I exchanged at the currency exchange at Heathrow.  I probably took a bit of a hit on the exchange rate, but what was I going to do with leftover pounds, euros, zlotys and kunas at home?

• Like 1

I've been rude when just getting off a plane, I do apologize.  

Last example: SFO - Dallas at 2pm. Dallas to Santiago at 11pm (issue with 737m8). Arrived at 9am. Only had USD. Taxi wanted $25USD. Got city bus for $3. Should have been $2 but let driver pocket $1 for getting me to subway. Very nice guy there said he needed 30 Chilean to issue me a ticket to hotel. Can't take USD. Got 50k from ATM and apologized for being too tired to understand (stated I can't sleep on planes and had been up 40 hrs at this point). He handed me back 47k. After my nap (if ever in Santiago ask trashmen NOT cops for directions) I figured it out

That said.... maybe the vendors don't need Canadian but I feel a lot better if I'm spending that for my coffees, beer, kettlecorn, tips to street musicians, ect

On 5/7/2019 at 2:28 AM, SargassoPirate said:

That was indeed rude. The sterotype of the ugly American. 

On our last trip in Europe, I ended up with bits and bobs of four different currencies.  Luckily I was able to use up most of the coins as we went and I donated the leftovers on the flight home.  The collection of bills I exchanged at the currency exchange at Heathrow.  I probably took a bit of a hit on the exchange rate, but what was I going to do with leftover pounds, euros, zlotys and kunas at home?

8 currencies next trip,  try to finish with only coins.  Leave them with airline envelopes or sometimes with buskers on way to airport. Keep some notes, Euros, US$, £sterling as excuse to go back and use them.  Lol.  

Be aware there are also ugly Australians, and Europeans.  We just have to try harder to make up for them.