I sailed Allure and had a terrible time. Change my mind

1 hour ago, Itisi said:

What disgusting things were the children doing?

Climbing in the windows and pulling on the drapes with filthy hands.....the climbing was bad enough....but they were playing with their food, not eating it.   Staff had a tough time with quite a few tables.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

I took it to mean she needs her mind changed about giving up on cruises altogether. 

But you can have rude people anywhere, on any type of vacation.   If you go on a land vacation to a European country and end up with nasty weather and people on your day trips that are not nice.....who would be to blame then?  Not the tour company that you booked the vacation through.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

But you can have rude people anywhere, on any type of vacation.   If you go on a land vacation to a European country and end up with nasty weather and people on your day trips that are not nice.....who would be to blame then?  Not the tour company that you booked the vacation through.

This line if thinking does help.  If I can look at things differently I could be less angry about it

11 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

It is infuriating that the crew let us self-police this and also the pool chairs.

3 ships now and I've never seen them enforce that rule, even if its posted every 30 feet.  A thousand chairs will be a thousand towels on a sea day.  I kinda get it; you gotta have somewhere to set your stuff.  For that reason we try to use one chair for all our towels, shoes and clothes

11 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I don’t see what’s wrong with saving seats in the theater as long as everyone shows up. Sometimes larger families have little kids that can’t show up an hour early to a show. Does that mean they should not be allowed to sit together? Sometimes these families can only all get together every few years. There are always two sides, a little emohathy goes a long ways!

For starters, nobody is saying to show up an hour early. An hour, seriously?  I don't think the venue is even open that early!

Secondly, if kids can't sit for a few minutes before a show, they're probably too young to be at the show in the first place.  Bring them a book or a tablet and headphones if it's a problem.

Thirdly, there's no reason that a family of ten all has to sit next to each other to watch a show.  You're not supposed to be talking during the show, so what does it matter if you're sitting next to someone you know or not?  Everyone can watch the show from whatever seats they get, then all get together in a bar or restaurant later to talk about the show, if desired.  

Fourthly, there is a clearly stated rule that saving of seats is not allowed.  You can sit next to Aunt Edna at dinner or at the bar / lounge or at the Cafe Promenade or in one of the gazillion other places to sit on a cruise ship.  There is no need to save 10-20 seats in a block just to sit next to a family member.  

How about a little empathy for the people who are trying to find someplace to sit???

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We will try and sit on the end many times vs the center to avoid leaving an odd number of seats. This also makes it easier to get out if one has to get up in the middle of the show for a few moments. If I arrive earlier then the daughter I will hold the seat for her but we have a planned meeting time, yet not for friends. They will know where we will be sitting if they get there in time and want to sit with us.  

I've found that the only time I was disappointed on a cruise was because I had expectations of things going a certain way, or doing the same thing I did on the last cruise that was so fun, but this time it wasn't as fun. I realized each cruise is so different, so many different people, and different ships, that you just have to throw out the idea of what will be the best (movies, putt-putt) and sort of go with the flow & find different things on each cruise to love.   

I was annoyed for a bit on my last cruise because  things I was most looking forward to were not how they were on my previous cruise, so I just decided to change my mind set & have a different experience.  

As far as rude people.....that sucks but just ignore them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jax129 said:

I've found that the only time I was disappointed on a cruise was because I had expectations of things going a certain way, or doing the same thing I did on the last cruise that was so fun, but this time it wasn't as fun. I realized each cruise is so different, so many different people, and different ships, that you just have to throw out the idea of what will be the best (movies, putt-putt) and sort of go with the flow & find different things on each cruise to love.   

I was annoyed for a bit on my last cruise because  things I was most looking forward to were not how they were on my previous cruise, so I just decided to change my mind set & have a different experience.  

Very true.....and as far as rude people.....there are rude people all around us....so for me, I get lots of experience 'ignoring' them.  Makes it easier on a cruise to do.

11 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I don’t see what’s wrong with saving seats in the theater as long as everyone shows up. Sometimes larger families have little kids that can’t show up an hour early to a show. Does that mean they should not be allowed to sit together? Sometimes these families can only all get together every few years. There are always two sides, a little emohathy goes a long ways!

Isn't the time waiting for the show to start is a good time for the kids to reconnect with their uncle, aunts & grandparents? They don't need to sit still in their seat before the show.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, YamahaRyoko said:

This line if thinking does help.  If I can look at things differently I could be less angry about it

3 ships now and I've never seen them enforce that rule, even if its posted every 30 feet.  A thousand chairs will be a thousand towels on a sea day.  I kinda get it; you gotta have somewhere to set your stuff.  For that reason we try to use one chair for all our towels, shoes and clothes

At some of the water park resorts they have walls of open cubbyhole shelves for people to stash their stuff, and they don't allow stuff on the loungers / saving at all.

6000 people who all feel entitled to get x-dollars of experience that they have paid for can lead to problems. The only thing I could suggest if you want to cruise again is shifting expectations as things come up. Bad experience in the dining room? The Windjammer's not so bad. Chair hogs by the pool? Eat a late lunch and hit the pool when everyone else is going to dinner. Fighting for "good" seats? You can die on that hill if you want but this is cruise ship entertainment, not Pavarotti/Beyonce/whatever floats your boat. The back of the balcony's pretty great too and you can beat everyone to the elevator.  Strategize to maximize your enjoyment.

24 minutes ago, Jax129 said:

Agree, all the vacations in my life are not in competition with each other, and neither are the cruises.  Often my own mindset or external stress, or my age or fitness or health at the moment, or my traveling companion(s), or the weather, or the crowds, or guilt over having spent too much $$, impact how much I like an experience. 

I do think some people have diminishing returns on cruises - they don't realize they are getting tired of them or bored with them and ready for some other kind of travel.  They say everything is declining in quality but it may be their novelty factor is gone and things that were once pleasant surprises are no longer impressive.

There are always minor grumbles as well but as you note, typically easiest to just ignore such things, work around them, or move on to some other area or activity.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

To the OP:

I'm sorry you experienced so many disappointments on your cruise.  Unfortunately, stuff happens, expectations are not always met, and then it's up to us to decide how we will react to it all.  Nothing in life goes perfectly, including long-awaited vacations.  Only you can decide for yourself if you want to try again, either with RCI, another cruise line, or any other kind of vacation.  No one can, or should, change your mind.  We all make our own choices, and then we either make the best of it, or move on, if you find you can't.  JMHO, of course.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

At some of the water park resorts they have walls of open cubbyhole shelves for people to stash their stuff, and they don't allow stuff on the loungers / saving at all.

I have made the suggestion that near the waterslides (for example) they should have cubbies for people to put their stuff, so that they don't have to take up a lounge chair (if it could be found at all).  On some ships they have put them, but not on all.  I have seen them in the solarium, near the hot tubs on many more ships.

• Like 1

I guess to each there own. When we get in the theater and go to a section we want and sit down. If someone tells us those seats are saved. My reply is yes. For us. That is it. i will not move. They usually get up and go elsewhere. They do not have a leg to stand on. It is usually announced constantly for everyone to hear. You want a certain section for your family. Sure no problem. You all get there at the same time and sit down. It is not like you just found out about the show. We were on the Harmony and loved every minuet of every day. Next will be the Allure only because we do not want to see the same shows. Others recommend trying other ships and ship lines. It will happen on all of them. It never changes at all. Hopefully your next cruise will be enjoyable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

I guess to each there own. When we get in the theater and go to a section we want and sit down. If someone tells us those seats are saved. My reply is yes. For us. That is it. i will not move. They usually get up and go elsewhere. They do not have a leg to stand on. It is usually announced constantly for everyone to hear. You want a certain section for your family. Sure no problem. You all get there at the same time and sit down. It is not like you just found out about the show. We were on the Harmony and loved every minuet of every day. Next will be the Allure only because we do not want to see the same shows. Others recommend trying other ships and ship lines. It will happen on all of them. It never changes at all. Hopefully your next cruise will be enjoyable.

So true.....

19 hours ago, Heymarco said:

They always want to save the best seats though. If family want to sit together, show up like everyone else.

• Like 1

Totally agree. It certainly is not fair at all to those that do show up early. We like to sit in the middle and about 3 or 4 rows back from the stage. So we arrive about 15 min before the doors open. There  are still those that are totally ignorant. One time my wife and I entered and this woman pushed us aside and ran don to the front seats. Guess we were not walking down the stairs fast enough for her. There are all kinds and need take it with a grain of salt. Not long ago there were two women that brought the wash cloths and put them on top of the back of the saved seats. 

I like when I sit down on a saved seat and I hear "Those seats are saved".  I respond "Thanks Jesus...thanks God..Hallelujah...this seat is saved"  as loud as I can.   Usually brings smiles and a retreat.

Edited by biomedbob
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, biomedbob said:

I like when I sit down on a saved seat and I hear "Those seats are saved".  I respond "Thanks Jesus...thanks God..Hallelujah...this seat is saved"  as loud as I can.   Usually brings smiles and a retreat.

I just made the mistake (?) of telling hubby about your post, I have a feeling this scenario could be in our future! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1