New Payment in Full due date policy

germay0653

Viking has recently introduced a new Payment in Full due date policy of a minimum of 12 months prior to the sail date, actually 14 months (Payment in Full by June 30, 2019)  for an October  4, 2020 Mediterranean cruise I was looking at booking with them.  They're rated #1 but, unfortunately, they have lost my business as a result of this extremely restrictive policy. 

I hope they receive enough negative feedback to consider changing this new policy.  Not sure why anyone would want pay in full, over a year in advance, and lose the interest that could be earned on those funds.  Very restrictive policy.

Unsure if this applies to Great Britain.  I booked a cruise recently, and the final payment date isn't that bad.

However, I'm not about to have a tantrum - if the itinerary is worth doing and Viking have accommodation which suits, I don't care when I have to pay.

7 minutes ago, germay0653 said:

Viking has recently introduced a new Payment in Full due date policy of a minimum of 12 months prior to the sail date, actually 14 months (Payment in Full by June 30, 2019)  for an October  4, 2020 Mediterranean cruise I was looking at booking with them.  They're rated #1 but, unfortunately, they have lost my business as a result of this extremely restrictive policy. 

I hope they receive enough negative feedback to consider changing this new policy.  Not sure why anyone would want pay in full, over a year in advance, and lose the interest that could be earned on those funds.  Very restrictive policy.

There have been several long threads on this topic which you can find using the search function.

Personally our TA has been able to get our final payment moved to six months ahead and if that’s the rule and we want to cruise on Viking we will pay up. Since many Viking cruises are sold out way way ahead of time it becomes your choice...

Are you sure this is a new policy or are you new to Viking?

We are leaving on a cruise this year on July 30. We booked in May 2018 and our final payment was due on June 25, 2018.

We wanted to cruise and while we weren't especially happy to have a final payment so far out, I was interested in seeing how the payment policy stopped the fare churning so beloved of many.   I have long felt that a cruise line can only maintain a certain level of quality when it is known for sure what funds are available for the per diem expenditures.

Our cruise has been sold out for at least four months (at least that is when I noticed that it was no longer available for booking).  The price never dropped from what we paid in May 2018.

We have two cruises booked but because we booked on board we received a six month due date.  I think with so many return passengers booking on board, the cruises will continue to fill.

I was looking at a few summer 2020 cruises and most of what we are interested in are full.  I'll keep checking especially at the 1 year and six months marks to see if spots open up.  I don't think the 1 year policy hurt them at all rather gave them some financial security and helped with booking on board.

12 hours ago, germay0653 said:

This has been in place since Oct/Nov 2018, so it isn't a new policy and is well known to the regular posters on the Viking Board. A search would have provided many discussion threads.

Unfortunately, it is your loss.

Decisions, decisions, decisions??? Pay Viking up to 12 months in advance v's nickle & diming mega ship with 6,000 new best friends, crap food and screaming kids. My decision took a nano second. 🙂🍺

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

This has been in place since Oct/Nov 2018, so it isn't a new policy and is well known to the regular posters on the Viking Board. A search would have provided many discussion threads.

🍺

It isn't even a new policy but rather a reversion to an older policy. Even before Viking Ocean was started, payment in full was due shortly after booking on most bookings. There was only a relatively short period when Viking was regularly allowing payment in full 6 months prior and that period ended November, 2018. 

Even under the current payment policy, Viking ships sail full far more often than not. There are plenty of guests who want to sail on Viking who are undaunted by the policy and will continue to do so without complaint. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

... Decisions, decisions, decisions??? Pay Viking up to 12 months in advance v's nickle & diming mega ship with 6,000 new best friends, crap food and screaming kids. My decision took a nano second. 🙂🍺

There are alternatives that don't include Viking or mega ships. I am not knocking Viking since I've never sailed with them, but since I occasionally look in on this board obviously I'm interested in their product. I certainly have no interest in the mega ships.

• Like 2

Most lines, and I'm referring to the luxury lines, not the mega ship lines, have a 90 - 120 day out payment in full due date and may ask for a higher deposit, 20% - 25%, which is reasonable.  A 15 month out payment in full due date, to me and confirmed by my TA, is absurd.  Plain and simple, it's my choice to book with them or not and it's their choice to impose and enforce that policy.   Why some get preferential exceptions to that policy speaks volumes, repeat customer or not.

Edited by germay0653
  • Like 3

Everyone makes their own decisions as to how to spend travel $$.  I will say Viking has hit on a business model different from all other lines.  Where others have "Kids Sail Free" Viking does not allow kids.  Where others go bigger with more bodies and more non ship, mall like features Viking goes calmer and more ship like.  Whatever the reason, Viking is having unprecedented levels of success filling their new ships as fast as they build them.  Just try to book an Egypt cruise (for just one example).  Completely sold out for 2020!  And Viking was the only line, to my knowledge, that ever filled a World Cruise for the entire cruise.  Do I like all Viking policies?  No.  Will that send me to Princess or HAL?  NO!  As has been mentioned before, do as you wish but Viking is doing very well at present.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It isn't even a new policy but rather a reversion to an older policy. Even before Viking Ocean was started, payment in full was due shortly after booking on most bookings. There was only a relatively short period when Viking was regularly allowing payment in full 6 months prior and that period ended November, 2018. 

Even under the current payment policy, Viking ships sail full far more often than not. There are plenty of guests who want to sail on Viking who are undaunted by the policy and will continue to do so without complaint. 

6 months I would have no problem with.  15 months, to me at least, is absurd.  Whether they fill the ships is not the concern either.  The concern is why such a restrictive policy is in place to begin with.  Other, luxury lines, don't so why does Viking have to? 

• Like 2

This "issue" was explained to us by our TA thusly:  If your reservation is made in the United States, final payment is due by the last day of the month following the month in which you made the reservation.  For example, book on February 1st, and your final payment will be due by March 31st.  As noted by Heidi13, this policy has been in effect at least since last autumn.

Why this is true for the U.S. and not for citizens of other countries, I do not know.  We are cruising in November with friends from New Zealand, who made their reservations early in 2018.  Their final payment isn't due until July of this year.  Our "cancelled-then-rebooked" reservation, made in February, had to be finalized by the end of March.

It's their sandbox, we play by their rules.  Or we take our pail and shovel to another playground.

• Like 2

This policy only seems to apply to bookings made in US. We don’t receive any deposit refund if we cancel here in Australia, maybe that’s why there is a difference. Too many people cancel not long before their cruise. 

We just concluded our Southeast Asia cruise on Viking and we booked it approximately 20 months out and our final payment was 6 months prior to sailing.

This was booked before the changes in policy. I don’t like the early pay in full policy, however if the itinerary was what we wanted we would probably do it.

For a non mega ship comparison we just booked Regent Explorer for Egypt, the Med and Dubai in November 2020. Deposit was 15% and final payment is due 5 months before sailing. 

On 5/5/2019 at 11:00 AM, germay0653 said:

6 months I would have no problem with.  15 months, to me at least, is absurd.  Whether they fill the ships is not the concern either.  The concern is why such a restrictive policy is in place to begin with.  Other, luxury lines, don't so why does Viking have to? 

The policy is 12 months.  I don't know who is telling you 15 months.  Viking doesn't have to do it.  They do it because they can, and I imagine they will continue to do until they can't.

I don't see anyone twisting your arm to book with Viking.  Since you have all those other lines to choose from, enjoy a cruise with them.  I don't see what the issue is.

• Like 1

I've hesitated to discuss other lines' policies on this since it is a Viking board, but just learned that Regent has introduced a new policy. If you pay in full at the time of booking there is a significant discount, up to 30%.  However, it is not refundable so good insurance would be a must.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parsley Cruises said:

I wonder what is the percentage of US passengers making bookings through a TA as opposed to direct with VO?  Does booking through a TA in the US make much difference?

A good TA who knows the ship and has an ongoing relationship with the company can be invaluable. They don't cost you anything, and through on board credits usually booking through a TA is cheaper.  But a knowledgeable TA will, for example, know that there is a problem with a particular cabin on a particular ship.  And if they are well connected with the company, often you will get first choice of upgrades and other perks.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:00 AM, germay0653 said:

My assumption is that Viking chooses this method to limit the "bookings" that are really just reservations while customers decide which itinerary and cruise line they actually want to sail. In addition, I assume that a new ocean cruise line that has been very successful and is expanding rapidly can put all these early payments to good use building these new ships. Many of us are willing to do so. We just returned last night and have booked another ocean cruise while on board.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

The policy is 12 months.  I don't know who is telling you 15 months.  Viking doesn't have to do it.  They do it because they can, and I imagine they will continue to do until they can't.

I don't see anyone twisting your arm to book with Viking.  Since you have all those other lines to choose from, enjoy a cruise with them.  I don't see what the issue is.

15 months was confirmed by a Viking booking agent and confirmed separately by my TA's Viking BDM.  I would have liked to try Viking and feel the policy is overly restrictive.  Yes, it's their sandbox but, as you suggest, I will be booking with another line.

@lackcreativity hit the nail on the head stating they might want to "limit the "bookings" that are really just reservations".  They will ultimately fill their cabins regardless of this policy.  Most all of the other lines  don't have a problem with a 6 month to 90 day out payment in full policy.

Edited by germay0653
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, germay0653 said:

15 months was confirmed by a Viking booking agent and confirmed separately by my TA's Viking BDM.  I would have liked to try Viking and feel the policy is overly restrictive.  Yes, it's their sandbox but, as you suggest, I will be booking with another line.

@lackcreativity hit the nail on the head stating they might want to "limit the "bookings" that are really just reservations".  They will ultimately fill their cabins regardless of this policy.  Most all of the other lines  don't have a problem with a 6 month to 90 day out payment in full policy.

I have done 3 Viking cruises and have 2 more booked and have never paid more than 12 months out.   One thing I have learned is that the Viking booking agents are often wrong. When I want accurate information I email tellus@vikingcruises.com

Even during the period when Viking allowed final payment 6 mo out, it wasn't the default. The default was end of the next month after booking. You needed to have a Viking-specialized travel agent request the deferral prior to making the down payment.

It's likely the situation is the same, but the best a TA can negotiate Viking to is 12 mo out, with end of next month still being the default.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, just_dont said:

Even during the period when Viking allowed final payment 6 mo out, it wasn't the default. The default was end of the next month after booking. You needed to have a Viking-specialized travel agent request the deferral prior to making the down payment.

It's likely the situation is the same, but the best a TA can negotiate Viking to is 12 mo out, with end of next month still being the default.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed. The best you are going to get is 12 months out but only if you ask for it.