Stressed out by to much reading on Cruise Critic!!!!!!

Viccarol

I’ve really enjoyed looking through all the information on here but it is quite hard to find information about the ‘normal’ areas of the ship!! And people seem quite critical of the these areas when they do mention them! 

So the question is have i made the wrong decision to book with MSC - this is the most expensive holiday we’ve been on and we’ve cruised with Disney (yes it was back in the day when you could do a week in the med for less than £3k for three) normally stay 4* and above so we don’t do budget holidays. Are the critical views due to unrealistically high expectations or is it really like butlins - nothing wrong with butlins we’ve been a couple of times but I haven’t spent the best part of £5k on it and most certainly wouldn’t!! All I require is a nice clean room (we’ve booked a suite), nice food (not expecting mitchelin stared - in fact my hubby would hate that), some places that we can quietly relax (I think we have access to a private area with booking the suite - correct me if I’m wrong) and a good show in the evening although we are happy to sit and listen to a singer if the mood takes us.

We are sailing on Fantasia it looks lovely and there was no option to book Yaught Club - it was fully booked.

I’m probably worrying over nothing - I do like to research too much (it’s a hobby 😂) - just wanting some reassurance that we’re not going into a pit!!

I suppose the first question should be, can you get a full refund? If so, then I will offer my opinion (and it's just that, one opinion in a sea). If you are fully committed to MSC due to non-refundable deposit, I suggest you don't read any further into my post.

I've only sailed MSC twice, once in YC and once in fantastica. If you are used to disney and 4* vacations, the YC would be a reasonable fit. If you have paid more to sail on MSC that competitor lines, you may want to reconsider. My opinion (again, just my opinion) is that MSC is a budget line. A nicer way to phrase that might be MSC is a value oriented line. The only way I will personally select MSC is if she comes in significantly less expensive than her competition. 

I am guessing you are from the UK with the mention of Butlins ?

Sailed 9 times so far with MSC with a 10th booked.

Unlike some posters on CC we have sailed Europe other Northern and Southern, Caribbean, Transatlantic and down to Dubai all with MSC.

We have sailed in each cabin category except YC by choice and our main choice is Aurea.

Sailings in Europe are different from those in the Caribbean and from experience the crews appear happier in Europe than the Caribbean from what we have observed.

Fantasia is similar to Divina and Preziosa of which we have sailed on both but prefer Preziosa.

Food offerings in Europe tend to be different also and you will find mainly European food in the buffet, my other half does not eat fish, pasta or eggs but has never gone hungry.

Sailing from Palma it is likely most passengers could be Italian and Spanish mixed with many others.

Food is a personal choice as to what each individual likes and despite what others have said you are likely to find something to your liking.

We have found that some people regarding pricing want to pay beer prices but expect to receive Champagne for the same money.

MSC policy recently has been to charge a base price but then charge for other items, many people like this system because it means they don't pay for something they neither use or want while others want everything included for the same base price.

MSC is not for everyone and we liken them to Marmite, that said people we have met have continued to book with MSC and we have all sailed together on previous occasions.

Go with an open mind and enjoy the cruise.

• Like 7

Thanks both for the replies, yes Sadair we are from the uk - even more northern then you (there not many xx) - so going with an open mind, it’s what we do from ‘the north’, having all inclusive in Spain is a special experience which I love, I’ve stopped stressing and moving away from the boards slagging (proper northern saying) off our choice - I’m sure we’ll have a great time whatever - keep forgetting we’re northern and get on with everyone 😀 xxx

Absolutely nothing like Butlins, thankfully. 

We've sailed Aurea, which is what I'm assuming you are in a suite, several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Lots of food choices and we've always found the quality to be good. 

Again,  Aurea has access to a separate sun deck where you can enjoy the sun in peace. 

Lots of bars to enjoy in the evening, ranging from interactive entertainment (always the large lounge at the aft) to a solo singer or musician. 

So, I echo sidaris comments above. 

We've not sailed Fantasia but have all on of her sister ships. 

With reviews it varies greatly, take with a pinch of salt. Many reviews are critical of an expectation rather than what was actually booked. You can't legitimately complain you didn't have a sea view if you booked an inside cabin! 

Region of the sailing does impact passenger demographic and comparisons.

It certainly doesn't feel like you've booked a budget holiday, regardless of the experience booked. 

Have a great cruise. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that I think it my be a uk v USA thing (I love our American cousins) but I’m definitely Jon Snow - live and let live and if it’s not good enough I’m  getting on my dragon (sorry for the Game of Thrones ref but

he nailed it)  - from Reading I have the feeling it’s a cultural thing - if it’s better than sol I’ll be happy x

It sounds to me like you'll be going with a positive attitude and I'm confident you'll have a great time from your post. 

Is everything perfect all of the time, no and I'm not suggesting it is. We've found most elements to be fabulous. If it wasn't we wouldn't keep returning. 

• Like 1

Never been on a holiday when every thing has been perfect - but it’s been our perfect holiday - then roll on the next 👍 maybe time to step away from the boards but it’s interesting to hear oppinons and interact - never did on Disney they are a scary bunch of cruisers xx

• Like 2

We loved our 10 day cruise on Magnifica last year and we've booked a 29 night cruise on Bellissima for 2020 - we had only cruised Royal Caribbean previously - of course we noticed lots of differences but we enjoyed the MSC experience a lot - I'm sure you will too.

• Like 1

As long as you don't expect a British or American ship, you'll enjoy yourselves.  MSC are Italian/European and do things a little differently.  English speakers will be the minority, though there will be some.  It's like cruising in a different country. ☺️

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, hlperez said:

As long as you don't expect a British or American ship, you'll enjoy yourselves.  MSC are Italian/European and do things a little differently.  English speakers will be the minority, though there will be some.  It's like cruising in a different country. ☺️

Exactly, it's like going on holiday to Italy and everything being Italian rather than British or American 😀

• Like 1

I will add my 2 penith , Ive sailed with RCI , NCL, Thomson, Carnival and MSC on various ships big and small , and by far my favourite Cruise line is MSC , we have 3  up coming cruises  booked with MSC. Ive sailed on Fantasia and had a fabulous time .

I too think that its   a bit of a UK/  American divide,  as  in those of us of  with a more European experience of holidays enjoys MSC far more than our American cousins do.  MSC will NOT be like Disney  nor will it be like Butlins.

Ive never felt the need to do yacht club on MSC im happy with the regular experiences. 

Im sure you will have a fantastic time, after all any holiday is better than no holiday.

• Like 3

We’ve sailed many of the mainstream cruise lines (NCL, RCCL & CCL) and have found MSC to be more similar then different.  We are American and a family of four. We always go in with an open mind and always enjoy ourselves tremendously.  We haven’t been on a cruise that has been 100% perfect but they have all come very close.  I’ve read reviews and have asked myself if the reviewer was talking about the same ship!  Their opinion differed so much from ours.  

Have a wonderful vacation!!  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Viccarol said:

Never been on a holiday when every thing has been perfect - but it’s been our perfect holiday - then roll on the next 👍 maybe time to step away from the boards but it’s interesting to hear oppinons and interact - never did on Disney they are a scary bunch of cruisers xx

I think you have the perfect mindset to enjoy MSC to the fullest!!! Enjoy 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glittergal1 said:

I too think that its   a bit of a UK/  American divide,  as  in those of us of  with a more European experience of holidays enjoys MSC far more than our American cousins do.  MSC will NOT be like Disney  nor will it be like Butlins.

Ive never felt the need to do yacht club on MSC im happy with the regular experiences. 

Im sure you will have a fantastic time, after all any holiday is better than no holiday.

I think we do like to experience the culture of a destination more these days, possibly not so in years past, it was the British that transformed the Costa del Sol into the Costa del Skeggy after all 😂😂

Another thing to bear in mind with CC reviews, CC is a predominantly US site and the majority of US cruisers have sailed a lot with US cruiselines, which MSC are different to. Some, not all, of our US cousins were expecting things to be the same.

Also, people who have bad experiences, of any nationality, perceived or otherwise are more likely to be vocal about it.

• Like 1

Thank you all you have really put my mind to rest!! I think in my heart of hearts I know it will be fine I wouldn't have booked it if I didn't like the look of the product. We have a pretty open mind when it comes to holidays and generally go with the flow. I know it won't be Disney - that was a special cruise when our daughter was little, but she's 16 now and isn't interested in being sociable now 😂. Again thank you all for taking to time to reply it is much appreciated.. 

5 minutes ago, Viccarol said:

Thank you all you have really put my mind to rest!! I think in my heart of hearts I know it will be fine I wouldn't have booked it if I didn't like the look of the product. We have a pretty open mind when it comes to holidays and generally go with the flow. I know it won't be Disney - that was a special cruise when our daughter was little, but she's 16 now and isn't interested in being sociable now 😂. Again thank you all for taking to time to reply it is much appreciated.. 

I have my 1st MSC cruise booked on the Bellissima in July, the reason I haven't taken much notice of the reviews on here is that they tend to be extremes (both the negative and positive) the truth will almost always be found somewhere in the middle.

I also feel that in a lot of cases people expectations are not aligned with the price they paid for the product, I dont expect a 5 star cruise, I do expect my room to be clean, the ship to be beautiful and the food to be varied and edible... I doubt I will be disappointed.

In the past few years i have cruised on RCI and Norwegian and genuinely couldn't fault anything on both cruises yet came back, checked the reviews and they were full of people who had taken to exact same cruise as me with nothing but complaints.

• Like 2

Hi, we had a Aurea suite on Fantasia a couple of years ago, and it was the nicest room we’ve had on a cruise, and we’ve been on quite a few.

The ship itself we thought was lovely. Beautifully kept and sparkly. And we particularly enjoyed the fact that there are so many different bars and lounges to try, with live music everywhere. It’s easy to find a venue that suits you.

The buffet and dining was fine. Not the best at sea, but we didn’t go hungry.

we have just enjoyed another trip on Preziosa. Just as good. I think the fact that people embark and disembark at different points is a big plus. No huge queues or crowds trying to get on or off, or go to muster. And very multicultural.

Go with a positive attitude, and I’m sure you will enjoy it. 

• Like 1

There is literally an entire subreddit dedicated to crazy postings and review on cruisecritic.  Take the review type elements that you see on here with a grain of salt.  I use this site mostly for objective information.  Subjective opinions I will form on my own.

• Like 3

I am well aware of your anxiety Viccarol, and try as I have been, I  am not looking forward to my booked cruise on Bellisima, so much so, I am going to cancel, and book a holiday that I will be actually looking forward to. We have cruised on a variety of cruise lines, in the past, and enjoy the experience, but the more I read about this line, the more I regret my booking , losing the deposit will be worth it, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and make a decision and move on.

15 hours ago, DebsLpool said:

I am well aware of your anxiety Viccarol, and try as I have been, I  am not looking forward to my booked cruise on Bellisima, so much so, I am going to cancel, and book a holiday that I will be actually looking forward to. We have cruised on a variety of cruise lines, in the past, and enjoy the experience, but the more I read about this line, the more I regret my booking , losing the deposit will be worth it, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and make a decision and move on.

Such a shame you have let others lead you to this decision ,  I have 3 upcoming cruises booked with MSC and one is on Bellisima and I Cant wait . 

I once booked a hotel in Blackpool that later I found out had been featured on the T.V programme "HOTELS FROM HELL"  I didnt cancel as  I couldnt afford to loose all I had Booked , We went it wasnt the best hotel I had been to but no way was it a hotel from hell either. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

Such a shame you have let others lead you to this decision ,  I have 3 upcoming cruises booked with MSC and one is on Bellisima and I Cant wait . 

I once booked a hotel in Blackpool that later I found out had been featured on the T.V programme "HOTELS FROM HELL"  I didnt cancel as  I couldnt afford to loose all I had Booked , We went it wasnt the best hotel I had been to but no way was it a hotel from hell either. 

Haha I’ve stayed in a hotel from hell in Blackpool too!! And just got on with it.

We won’t be cancelling our cruise, too much already booked on non return (flights, overnight hotels, cruise deposit - it would cost us a fortune), after reading all the lovely comments on here I’m actually back to looking forward to it.

My tip if the title of a thread has YC included in the title don’t read it unless you've booked it - so I’m now only reading things that might actually be useful to me - and any very negative threads I’m ignoring 😆

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Viccarol said:

Haha I’ve stayed in a hotel from hell in Blackpool too!! And just got on with it.

We won’t be cancelling our cruise, too much already booked on non return (flights, overnight hotels, cruise deposit - it would cost us a fortune), after reading all the lovely comments on here I’m actually back to looking forward to it.

My tip if the title of a thread has YC included in the title don’t read it unless you've booked it - so I’m now only reading things that might actually be useful to me - and any very negative threads I’m ignoring 😆

It could have been the same hotel?

I am glad you have not been led into cancelling , in my opinion NO cruise could  be so bad that I  had to cancel , mainly because we cruise because it is a cruise and going gto different places we DONT cruise just for the ship

I also want to tell posters about Pullmantur Cruise line A cruise line I had never heard of until we were looking for a cruise for our HONEYMOON I found a cruise on Pullmantur Horizon going around the canary Islands and the price was very reasonable and the dates were perfect so I did some research on Pullmantur which is a Spanish cruise line, to say the least reviews and comments were mainly very NEGATIVE for them especially reviews from English speakers BUT the cruise suited our needs so we booked it AND...................... Had a fabulous time no complaints from us at all so glad I didnt let the views of others sway my decision

• Like 1

I remember the first time we booked an MSC cruise;  I hadn't heard of them beforehand, but we had agreed to do a cruise with my parents and their TA had an offer on an 11 night MSC Fantasia one which we went with.  I then started reading reviews and thought "What have we let ourselves in for"?!  such was the level of negativity (this was in 2011).

Three months after we disembarked, having had a wonderful time, we were back on an MSC ship.  Our upcoming cruise in August will be our 22nd MSC cruise, with 2 more booked.  😜 

• Like 1

Very pleased to hear it Viccarol. Reviews are very subjective, and you need to assess what's important and relevant to you. One persons negative can be another persons positive. I read a hotel review which had 1*| due to it being remote and no organised day activities (it did say that in the description). This to us was delightful news, we booked, it was fabulous.

Be grateful you weren't reading these boards just after Seaside launched, there was no butter or no butter outside YC and according to these boards, you would've thought Armageddon was nigh 😂