American vs Delta

Peachypooh

I fly on both airlines regularly and am a member of their frequent flyer programs.

Here are the reasons I like each:

American

If you check the flight status on your flight right underneath is a

place to click for incoming flight information. This is very very

helpful in determining if you are going to leave on time or

make a connection Haven't been able to find that on Delta.

If your flight is cancelled they have a website you can go to

that lists your alternatives and you can rebook yourself without

waiting on hold or standing in line at the ticket agent desk Maybe

Delta has this but I have never had to use it.

The meals are more generous in portion size and variety than Delta.

Delta

More so than American they have screens in the seat backs where

you can watch your flight progress and play games, etc.

In first class they give you bottled water.

Bathroom on same size flights is bigger

Those are some pretty odd criteria...

Incoming flight information is freely available online for almost all airlines through websites such as FR24.

Never had had any IRROPS on Delta but am surprised their app doesn’t give you the options to select given their app is generally much better than AA. AA’s equivalent rebooking isn’t so great. I travel FC regularly on AA and the last few times I’ve had IRROPS the app has given the earliest available alternative options but only in economy despite FC being available on alternative flights (paid FC ticket, not miles/upgraded).

AA will give you water in FC whenever you want it...

Bathroom size? Except the well known tiny can on the 737 Max8 (which are a tiny proportion of AA’s fleet) I haven’t brought my tape measure to be able to tell the difference...

DL gives you incoming flight data on their app.  I'll leave it to your inquisitive nature to find where.

DL does both automatic rebooking and has that facility within their app.

Domestic meals are nothing to write home about for any carrier.

AA is moving to have all of their IFE streamed to individual devices.

Bathrooms related to "same size flights"??  Wonder what that means.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:46 AM, Peachypooh said:

I fly on both airlines regularly and am a member of their frequent flyer programs.

Here are the reasons I like each:

American

If you check the flight status on your flight right underneath is a

place to click for incoming flight information. This is very very

helpful in determining if you are going to leave on time or

make a connection Haven't been able to find that on Delta.

If your flight is cancelled they have a website you can go to

that lists your alternatives and you can rebook yourself without

waiting on hold or standing in line at the ticket agent desk Maybe

Delta has this but I have never had to use it.

The meals are more generous in portion size and variety than Delta.

Delta

More so than American they have screens in the seat backs where

you can watch your flight progress and play games, etc.

In first class they give you bottled water.

Bathroom on same size flights is bigger

Everything you listed for American is in the Delta App.

• 2 weeks later...

Just flew Delta SLC to AMS and CDG to SLC in main cabin and was pleasantly  surprised by the included amenities. Large bottles of water,  printed menu with meal choices for the 2 meals, complimentary alcohol, snacks and bottled water always available, hot towels, complimentary ear bids for the seat back entertainment which featured many current movies, packaged pillow and blanket. Last several international flights have been in Delta One so I was glad to see that main cabin travel wasn’t all the that  bad. Love using the app to check baggage status. Can also check upgrade lists as well as the stand by list. Easy to check status of connecting flight on the app also.

12 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Just flew Delta SLC to AMS and CDG to SLC in main cabin and was pleasantly  surprised by the included amenities. Large bottles of water,  printed menu with meal choices for the 2 meals, complimentary alcohol, snacks and bottled water always available, hot towels, complimentary ear bids for the seat back entertainment which featured many current movies, packaged pillow and blanket. Last several international flights have been in Delta One so I was glad to see that main cabin travel wasn’t all the that  bad. Love using the app to check baggage status. Can also check upgrade lists as well as the stand by list. Easy to check status of connecting flight on the app also.

As someone who rarely flies DL longhaul and is lucky enough to do it in Business when I do, does DL economy give full alcohol bar on longhauls, or just beer/wine (like American does)?

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

As someone who rarely flies DL longhaul and is lucky enough to do it in Business when I do, does DL economy give full alcohol bar on longhauls, or just beer/wine (like American does)?

The menu we were given offered wine, beer and a list of spirits. I am no expert on brands but I saw Brand name whiskey, rum, vodka, cognac, and Bailey’s Irish Cream. I asked for sparkling wine and received a sealed bottle that equaled 2 glasses. This was an international flight so I cannot speak for a transcon flight. I do believe that Delra offers meals in main cabin on some transcon flights but don’t know about alcohol on those flights.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:57 AM, Zach1213 said:

On international long haul flights, all alcohol is now included in economy.  It used to be just beer and wine but that changed a year or two ago. 

On 5/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, purduemom1 said:

I do believe that Delra offers meals in main cabin on some transcon flights but don’t know about alcohol on those flights.

On any domestic flights, including transcontinental flights, alcohol is not included in the economy cabin on Delta, though Comfort+ does get beer and wine included.  On flights over 900 miles there will be food available for purchase in the main cabin.  Meals are included for main cabin on just a handful of coast to coast flights.