Are "healthy" smoothies available on HAL?

edgee

On 5/8/2019 at 8:01 PM, FredT said:

Sorry, when I'm on a cruise the LAST thing I am thinking about is what is healthy or not....

There is more than enough time for that silliness when I get home.....

I started this thread by asking a simple question about whether healthy smoothies are available on HAL..  It was a sincere attempt to gather information to assist me in dealing with a health condition.I do not regard the subject matter as a "silly" one.   I am concluding from  the responses that, unlike, my experiences on Oceania and Celebrity, HAL does not offer them. That's okay, I will deal with it and have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, edgee said:

I started this thread by asking a simple question about whether healthy smoothies are available on HAL..  It was a sincere attempt to gather information to assist me in dealing with a health condition.I do not regard the subject matter as a "silly" one.   I am concluding from  the responses that, unlike, my experiences on Oceania and Celebrity, HAL does not offer them. That's okay, I will deal with it and have a great cruise.

I hope you find a way to have your dietary needs met onboard.  With 2 SILs with type ll, I know how important it can be to know the ingredients and carb counts of all foods. 

A cruise is a wonderful place to indulge in delicious foods if you are able.  I do think that all the cruiselines make a strong effort to accommodate those people with special needs.

2 hours ago, dundeene said:
3 hours ago, edgee said:

Sincerely sorry to have offended you.  I have always had a tendency to make light of posts.  

I was very excited to see the early post suggesting that HAL may have changed from their previous offering of smoothies made from pre-packaged junk. I too have just come off two Celebrity cruises where smoothies with real, healthy ingredients are created right in front of you. Sounds like that list of smoothies listed earlier is COMPLETELY misleading! Someone suggested going into the spa...Well at $50 a day, that's a high price to pay for a simple drink! Unless I pay that price, I don't have access. I do utilize the gym and free facilities, but not the Thermal Suite. Good health is never a joke and should be an option available to all! Contrary to the belief of some posters, healthy eating is VERY important to many cruisers, and HAL is at least a decade behind other cruiselines in offering healthy alternatives. We're back on the Eurodam in a week and I'll be more than happy to post if they now offer REAL smoothies.

To Fred T: No worries. Most of us figure we will expand our waistlines at least a little on a cruise...barring a lot of super strenuous touring. Unfortunately I need to keep my eating within some limits... I work to do this partially by keeping my breakfasts limited and healthy and when I can find a good smoothie it is helpful.

My mom and I were on the Zuiderdam last late October, early November so  we were on for Halloween. When we found that smoothies had become available we did have some of them. To me they were OK. But then again we had started going to a local Smoothie King so we do have a way to compare them. Of course the menu at a Smoothie King is considerably bigger. I decided that those form our Smoothie King were better and more flavorful. Better and more natural ingredients also. Then when we were on the Nieuw Statendam for 18 days over the Holidays I didn't have any and my mom didn't have as many. When we disembarked we found a Smoothie King and made a stop to get get a couple to have as we started our drive home. The smoothies on the ship could be better for sure. I noticed the yogurt being used was just one of the plain little cups from the lido. Hopefully they will get better as I am a picky eater and is a way to get more fruit in me.

On 5/9/2019 at 5:10 PM, ZSandy25 said:

I have thought about doing this but never have.  Go to the Lido and fill a bowl with fruit, pick up a container of yogurt, a container of Almond Milk and head to the bar.  Ask nicely if they will blend it up for you.

The best idea so far is above from @ZSandy25

I would love to try that  (if the Westerdam Lido bar has it)

- pineapple slices or chunks

- banana slices (I'd slice it up)

- yogurt

- almond milk or regular milk.  In this case the almond milk might taste better.

- something with coconut if I could find it

August is so far away!  ::sniff::  ;-(